Halibut depth

ziggy

I realize halibut can be found at some extreme depths but wondered how many sportfishers here fish real deep? Saw on the Island Outfitters report a couple caught at 420 feet. Way deeper than I ever fish or any of my buddies! Wonder if its a misprint or if more ambitious fishers than I are fishing the deep water! Then again it has been known for hali fishermen to spread false info. Lol

I realize halibut can be found at some extreme depths but wondered how many sportfishers here fish real deep? Saw on the Island Outfitters report a couple caught at 420 feet. Way deeper than I ever fish or any of my buddies! Wonder if its a misprint or if more ambitious fishers than I are fishing the deep water! Then again it has been known for hali fishermen to spread false info. Lol
I think there are more ambitious hali fishermen than you and I. I know guys who fish that deep and deeper!! I think they are nuts.LOL

I have sport fished them to about 400-500ft and done well. It was also a great way to get guests away from halibut fishing when all they had was halibut on their mind. Send them down once and as soon as they say they had a nibble tell them to check their bait once and it's over. Halibut fishing sucks at that point :)

When working on a long liner though I remember setting 200 fathoms that's 1200ft. Oh those were the days....Ya right :)

Today day when fishing for myself 300ft is my max.......

When fishing that deep, these 12 volt electric's are a big help

kaigen_1000_fishing_reel_12_volt.jpg

We fished 450 ft during last weekends North island good tides. Got 2 hali both 35lb, and 2 snapper had no bites at my normal 300 ft reef so went deeper. Guys in boat have weird faces when we drop the anchor, hook up and fish finder says 500+ ft to bottom. I use shimano rods and large penn squalls, reeling up a hali is work but the dogfish are the real pain. Could tell a story of a 12-14ft 6 gill I caught a few years ago at 460 ft, that was tiresome. As FA stated commies go way deeper, the fish are all over. I have never felt they are at any certain depth, they are at the depth of the current feed. One of ours had sockeye heads in its stomach. In spring I fish a shallow bay 160ft and they are full of whole crabs. My rule is go get them.

HM

My Hali hardly ever have anything in their stomachs. They must be puking trying to lose the hook because way to many have not much in their gut.

I haven't tried deeper then 250ft yet. 420 feet of water sounds fishey... And I don't mean fishy like good for fishing. Maybe Mary Jane was the key to their success?

My personal best day was off Victoria at 395. got 6 that day 45-90 pounds.

When fishing halibut out of port hardy and port mc neil we used to start at 280 and drift down to 600. Got most of our hali and all yellow eyes at 400-600ft. Sometimes they are all deep and most don't hit them.

-KK

My best Hali fishing spot for the last 2 years has been depths of 60-115. It's nice if you can catch them trolling

I have sport fished them to about 400-500ft and done well. It was also a great way to get guests away from halibut fishing when all they had was halibut on their mind. Send them down once and as soon as they say they had a nibble tell them to check their bait once and it's over. Halibut fishing sucks at that point :)

I've noticed this too, what's with the hali obsession? Is it truly a meat fishery for these guests? Don't get me wrong, I like to mix some hali fishing in there when we charter, and it's nice to have some in the freezer, but salmon fight way more pound for pound and it's not the sheer hard work of bottom fishing.

I've noticed this too, what's with the hali obsession? Is it truly a meat fishery for these guests? Don't get me wrong, I like to mix some hali fishing in there when we charter, and it's nice to have some in the freezer, but salmon fight way more pound for pound and it's not the sheer hard work of bottom fishing.

I share your point of view...yes we fish and take our annual limit of halibut fishing and enjoy the challenge.
when that rod bends and takes the usual one and only run there is a thrill for sure.
after that its drag it up get it in the boat.
I do enjoy it, but hardly what most would call "sport".
We generally fish 180 - 280 in the early spring before the dogs move in around the Victoria area.
depth is very much dependent on where you fish and what time of the year you go out.

Yes we fish and take our annual limit of halibut fishing and enjoy the challenge.

I fish often but don't come close to reaching an annual limit along with thousands of other recreational anglers. I only have one halibut on my licence this year and I believe I only had two on my licence last year. I don't find a need to fill my freezer with just one species let alone just fish.

they might not fight as exciting as salmon, but when that rod bends while halibut fishing you just never know, could be 20lbs could be 200lbs - that first strike is pretty damn exciting IMO. After that I much prefer to be the gaff man and watch a buddy bring it in.

You can call it a meat fishery, but watch a newbie real in a 60lb halibut and they'll be shaking their arms out and flop down in the seat in exhaustion when their done - pretty exciting battle if you're not jaded.

I fish often but don't come close to reaching an annual limit along with thousands of other recreational anglers. I only have one halibut on my licence this year and I believe I only had two on my licence last year. I don't find a need to fill my freezer with just one species let alone just Guess fish.

" I don't find a need to fill my freezer with just one species let alone just Guess fish."
Not sure what you are getting at....
My guess is you don't have as many friends and family as we do who LOVE halibut but cannot get out to catch their own and cannot afford to buy . frozen halibut is ok, but nothing like fresh! Most of our halibut are under 30 pounds.
Nice you are happy with 1 or 2 halibut a year.
Are you suggesting the annual limit for halibut should be 2 per year?
We make good use of everything we catch and are very lucky on the South Island to have such a great fishery on our doorstep.
Where do you fish..Comox? tough halibut fishing on your doorstep.

" I don't find a need to fill my freezer with just one species let alone just Guess fish."
Not sure what you are getting at....
My guess is you don't have as many friends and family as we do who LOVE halibut but cannot get out to catch their own and cannot afford to buy . frozen halibut is ok, but nothing like fresh! Most of our halibut are under 30 pounds.
Nice you are happy with 1 or 2 halibut a year.
Are you suggesting the annual limit for halibut should be 2 per year?
We make good use of everything we catch and are very lucky on the South Island to have such a great fishery on our doorstep.
Where do you fish..Comox? tough halibut fishing on your doorstep.

If your going to quote me please don't edit my words. Guess fish? just fish

I don't feel I need to feed my family and friends. If they want fish they can catch their own or support the commercial fishermen here in BC and purchase their dinner.

Where do I fish? Boats on a trailer so everywhere. I do not target cod or halibut on the ECVI.

Annual limit? I don't believe their should be one. As long as a rec. angler is putting fresh fish on his or her table I am support their efforts, cause as you said "nothing like fresh!" If a rec. angler is supplying the neighbourhood they are reckless most likely in every aspect of their life and should get things under control cause it's why we have to have limits in place. There's always going to be some idiots in the bunch just like the commercial guys eh :)

Please let's not hijack this thread..... My bad, Sorry :)

Last edited by a moderator:
friend of mine took me to the charlottes fishing hali for a week. nothing no hali. buddy had been several times in the past but earlier in the year, july aug. never in sept. dfo flew in and asked all the questions surprised we had not connected yet, they gave us a spot, but...... had to be 400' down. reason was they go deep to spawn???

Back