Double Eagle project?

marbles67

Hi all
I have found a haul in good condition. 80's vintage. Good floor no rot 17'6. The guy wants $400.
I'm wondering if it Istanbul worth while project or a big never ending money pit.I just want safe stable boat

What's your budget to out fit the boat with a motor and trailer? Now take that budget and see what else is available but you usually get a better deal if it's already set up. Once you a kicker , gps, VHF, downriggers, a canvas top etc. it adds up really quick but I don't want to discourage you but also want it to work out good for you. Hope this helps and good luck.

Thanks Chris, yes a motor is probably 2500 for.half decent time used one.trailer a grand so
That's 4k.....yeah could be a lot more than I thought. I seen a nice 90's vintage at the dealer
And they are asking. 12,500

Hi all
I have found a haul in good condition. 80's vintage. Good floor no rot 17'6. The guy wants $400.
I'm wondering if it Istanbul worth while project or a big never ending money pit.I just want safe stable boat

How do you know there is no rot in the stringers and transom?

Well you need to ask yourself, do you like working on boats or do you like fishing? Projects will always take longer and cost more money then you think, you might prefer to just save some money and buy a boat that's ready to go.

But hey it's pretty cool to catch fish out of a boat you've "built" yourself.

I have a 1995 176 DE and I paid around $9,000 and had to add down riggers, gps, VHF, battery switch and another battery plus others I'm sure. I also didn't like the trailer and bought an 06 roadrunner for a grand. Which was a steal for the shape it was in. Any way think hard before you buy it.

if you put thousands into a pos boat you may as well spend the thousands finding the right hull for you, I tried to doctor up a pos boat and it worked fine for half a year until the waves tried to break it up at sea, learned a lot from my POS , biggest thing I learned is even if you put lipstick on a pig, in the end you just have a pig with lipstick... save your money.. find a decent hull.. learn from others mistakes (cough cough)... lots of DE around , look for one worth putting money into or you will be unhappy with the end result.

I was referring to my mistakes.. your double eagle is awesome SD.. just need to iron out the motor issue...,all the goodstuff from my vessel is sitting in the back room waiting for me to find the "Right" boat to install it on..

Marbles, nothing wrong with a project boat. If your anything like me, you probably can't afford to shell out 15k. I started with a 18 hourston, 21' campion, 21' trophy, 24'sea ray and am now working on a 26' hourston and they have all been project boats. They cost more in the long run but as you gradually fix it up it doesn't really seem that bad.

Marbles, nothing wrong with a project boat. If your anything like me, you probably can't afford to shell out 15k. I started with a 18 hourston, 21' campion, 21' trophy, 24'sea ray and am now working on a 26' hourston and they have all been project boats. They cost more in the long run but as you gradually fix it up it doesn't really seem that bad.

The plus side to doing these kinds of projects is getting to know the boat inside and out. This in itself is a major lesson in knowing your craft (a very good thing):).

I applaud af and others for their past projects. Awesome workmanship and satisfaction at the end of them. It is a ***** load of work however and takes a certain breed of individual to carry through with it till the end.

The plus side to doing these kinds of projects is getting to know the boat inside and out. This in itself is a major lesson in knowing your craft (a very good thing):).

I applaud af and others for their past projects. Awesome workmanship and satisfaction at the end of them. It is a ***** load of work however and takes a certain breed of individual to carry through with it till the end.
Yes shelling out 4-6 on a boat could be problem as well. I don't know then that we'll and could easily buy a pos. The guy has now offered it for 200 and cold case of beer. His plan was to take 135 hp motor (something like that) that he had kicking around and put it in . however decided it would be too much motor and bought whaler. Everything is stripped off ready to be scuffed and painted. He seems like a decent guy with nothing to hide. He told me he steamed up the fuel tank pulled the floor up and found no rot. I could buy a 6 k boat and not know if there's rot I suppose? I am thinking it over. For 4-6 I could pretty decent boat. ...I will think about this weekend and if I get her should I post pictures?

Is there any acess ports in the floor? Stick your arm in there and feel around for spongyness. Also ask for pictures of when he pulled the floor. Who pulls a floor and doesnt take pics? You could also try drilling some test holes in the transom and look for punky wood

Kids hammers work well for tapping around a boat. They are light and bounce off solid glass and wood quite nicely.

Kids hammers work well for tapping around a boat. They are light and bounce off solid glass and wood quite nicely.

OK ,I will all good advice. If I do get it I may have post a new build thread? I was also wondering, would this be an ok dual purpose boat,pull the kids on a tube and pull a crab pot in the bay?

Absolutely a great dual purpose boat, we wore out a couple main engines on my dad's DE skiing behind it when I wa a kid or at least that's what he told my mom!

Absolutely a great dual purpose boat, we wore out a couple main engines on my dad's DE skiing behind it when I wa a kid or at least that's what he told my mom!

That's great, there's real nice one at break water marine ,12800.But I don't want to lay out that money right now ,as we just bought a newer camper

Back