Bite Me derby 2014

2xeagle16

I'm trying to find a link (with boundary info and rules) to this years Bite me derby - I can't seem to find any useful information.

Yeah, i was trying to also. not sure , maybe they cancelled it cause lack of fish.

Found this on the FB page:

Bite-Me Fishing Derby Tickets are $75 per rod. One person can have two rods but must have two tickets ($150). On Saturday, Aug 16 the weigh-scale opens at 7:00am and closes at 6:00pm. On Sunday Aug 17th the weigh-scale reopens at 7:00am and closes at 12:00 noon. Cutoff times are enforced. Top prize is $10,000 cash prize for the largest salmon and there are prizes for the 19 runner-up salmon. Only one prize per ticket is awarded.

"Weigh in station is Pedder Bay Marina"

The poster says the boundaries are "Albert Head west to east of Sheringham Lighthouse"

Bite Me.jpg

I see four contact numbers on the poster for tickets. Try one.

Does anyone know if there are prizes given out after the top 25 salmon? i.e. does #26 and down get a set prize based off weight like in the past?

I heard 59 springs over 15 pounds were wieghed in for Saturday and Sunday - must be a record low number of springs for the Bite me derby.

25.1lb - 1st Place, 25.1lb - 2nd Place, 24.2lb - 3rd Place & 24.1lb - 4th Place which I got...Not many fish weighed in for sure & lots of fog, but no wind so that was nice.

Side bet paid out to 6th place I think.
5 more boats will be buying it next year I think. $4900 bonus to 6th place fish would be a great win for him.

Tips

Oh, and fun derby.
Have not been in this one for about 10 years.
Well run I thought. Nice to get out of there at reasonable time. Wrapped up before 4:00.
20 Fish prizes plus 20 draw prizes and raffles.

Top 3 fish smoked, canned and donated to food bank.
This derby also paid for and distributed (through donations) defibrillators into 5 marinas from Vic to Sooke and training given to the staff at those marinas. Someone else with better knowledge of this could elaborate. I am only going on what I heard at the Derby.
Lots of money raised for local salmon enhancement.

Nice job!

Tips

The total number of fish weighed in was an all time low and very frustrating for most derby entrants. There were 37 salmon weighed in on Saturday and 22 salmon weighed in on Sunday. The first place salmon weighed 25.1 lbs and was caught by Andy Budgell near the Bedfords.. The second place salmon also weighed 25.1 lbs but was weighed in after the other same size fish and was caught by David Chung . Third place went to a 24.2 lb spring caught byTed Dawes. The largest bottomfish was a 16.6 lb Ling cod caught by Mark Dolny.

Oh, and fun derby.
Have not been in this one for about 10 years.
Well run I thought. Nice to get out of there at reasonable time. Wrapped up before 4:00.
20 Fish prizes plus 20 draw prizes and raffles.

Top 3 fish smoked, canned and donated to food bank.
This derby also paid for and distributed (through donations) defibrillators into 5 marinas from Vic to Sooke and training given to th.e staff at those marinas. Someone else with better knowledge of this could elaborate. I am only going on what I heard at the Derby.
Lots of money raised for local salmon enhancement.

Nice job!

Tips

Great post. Not all derbies can be what everyone expects out of them (big fish lol). It sounds like some of the funds went to a good cause. This is what I like to read as I am not a derby type fisherman and never have been. I like to see what the left over money goes towards. Thank you for sharing :).

I just started entering derbies in the last couple of years. The only reason I have been entering them is for the cause and meeting new folks. A novel idea that some folks seem to miss unfortunately.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just started entering derbies in the last couple of years. The only reason I have been entering them is for the cause and meeting new folks. A novel idea that some folks seem to miss unfortunately.

You nailed it. Derbies bond a community around a shared passion and can have a positive tangible result on that passion if focused in the right way; creates a conduit to funnel dollars into salmon enhancement/conservation and hence more fish in the sea and therefore more fish in the box.

Back