Pender Bluffs

More like on the Bluffs... Thought I was depositing some lead on the beach.... until I checked the sounder.

Fished the bluffs from 6:30 - 10 this a.m. and again from 5:30 - 9 this p.m. Have two strong hits this morning that took my chovie but couldn't hook up. Beautiful day on the water but that was it. Saw a few other locals who also reported no fish in the box.

FisherTim, did you actually catch any pinks or just saw what looked like them on sounder? Seems about a month early for pinks at pender bluffs but with the weird water conditions who knows.

I caught a pink at the end of the spit, on................herring strip teaser!! We had fun remembering how to prepare the filet, we had some herring a buddy gave us and I thought I would try it. Kinda fun, blast from the past. Also ended up with 8 keeper crab, at the spit. Beauty day on the water, a little busy at the ramp, low tide. Nice to have the volunteers from the Sidney Anglers Association helping out!! Xena

Pinks are definitely on the bluffs. I caught one 10 days ago. Very early compared to previous years.

4 Pinks at the Pender Bluffs yesterday (Canada Day) - all at 50 feet. 15+ boats fishing, but not too much action yet. Good orca show (breaching and fin slapping) and they even managed to corral some pinks our way - caught 2 with the orcas 40' off the boat. Guess pinks eat to deal with stress ;)

Fished Pender Bluffs this morning. Started at 7am. Steady pink action until about10:30. Lost more than we boated. Most boats got to practice their netting skills. We hooked up our fish at 80'. Netted 6, plus one donor to the seals. No springs, although the chatter at Otter Bay Marina is that a few have been picked up off the bluffs. Nice morning on the water.

Had a fun weekend at the Bluffs catching pinks. Lost way more then we boated - just couldn't get them to stick. Caught most of them at 50', a couple at 80'. A school of them went ripping by the boat on Saturday afternoon. It was flat calm and I could see them clearly. I thought it was pretty cool! Brought a couple home for the smoker today, only fished from 12-1:30. It was blowing & choppy, flashers flying in the wind.

I've hooked into over 30 this year, landed my(and guests) limit in a matter of hours, Defs there now.

Limited out on Pinks in 3.5hrs on Sunday morn - most at 35' (Smoke from forest fires darkened things up) Tried 90-120' for something hefty, had a nice bite but couldn't keep it on the line. Wrestled a pink from a furbag twice during a double header for the last fish of our limit - manged to get it in the boat and starve the furbag, but had to throw it right back (over limit).

Had a good trip to the Bluffs on Sunday afternoon. We hit on an instant double header of pinks at the left droppings right against shore (novice driver and a headwind makes for interesting tracking!). Managed to pick up another in the shelter of the bay past the point. Pink squirt with a jughead behind a mini orange flasher and a pink spoon behind purple haze. All three fish caught at 70 feet - and lots of pinks jumping behind the boat.

Went home early due to seasickness of a passenger. Will try again this weekend.

And I can't forget the orcas cruising past between Moresby and Pender! It was the pod with the calves who were very excited to give us a show.

(First time posting, long time lurking)

I have question for you regular Pender Bluffs fishers.I'm planning a few trips there over the summer and fall and
wonder where to get the best weather forecasts for that area. Is there a Sidney area forecast I should be going by
or maybe a Southern Gulf Islands one.I'll be traveling from Cowichan Bay.Also any info you have about the weather patterns in that area would be very much appreciated.Thank you all for any help you can give me.

Try Haro Strait.

I have question for you regular Pender Bluffs fishers.I'm planning a few trips there over the summer and fall and
wonder where to get the best weather forecasts for that area. Is there a Sidney area forecast I should be going by
or maybe a Southern Gulf Islands one.I'll be traveling from Cowichan Bay.Also any info you have about the weather patterns in that area would be very much appreciated.Thank you all for any help you can give me.

I always use www.windyty.com. As far as I can tell it's been pretty accurate for me and it provides a number of weather related info.

Back