Alberni sockeye

c.askin

any further reports on the sockeye in the inlet???? please keep us informed ... much appreciated.....C.A.

Commercial gillnet opening this week was a bust. Opened Tuesday for 1 day from Pocahontas Point out to Bamfield (then across to Swale Rock). Average was less than 10 fish per boat so they are not schooling up on the outside yet.

Area 23 gill nets open Tuesday June 3, 2014 for 14 hours, from 06:00 hours to
20:00 hours, in the following areas:

-Subarea 23-3, excluding Uchucklesit Inlet inside or westerly of a line between
boundary signs at 48 degrees 58.648 minutes north latitude and 124 degrees
59.613 minutes west longitude near Burrough Point and 48 degrees 58.851 minutes
north latitude and 124 degrees 59.093 minutes west longitude near Brooksby
Point; and,
excluding San Mateo Bay inside or easterly of a line between boundary signs at
48 degrees 57.450 minutes north latitude and 124 degrees 59.310 minutes west
longitude near Hissin Point and 48 degrees 56.838 minutes north latitude and
125 degrees 00.145 minutes west longitude near Bernard Point;

-Subarea 23-4, excluding Numukamis Bay inside or easterly of a line between
boundary signs at 48 degrees 53.000 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees
03.153 minutes west longitude near the western entrance to Poett Nook and 48
degrees 55.240 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 01.192 minutes west
longitude; and,
excluding Rainy Bay inside or northerly of a line between boundary signs at 48
degrees 58.110 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees 02.935 minutes west
longitude near Ecoole and 48 degrees 58.100 minutes north latitude and 125
degrees 01.350 minutes west longitude approximately 0.85 nautical miles north
of Chup Point;

- Subarea 23-5; and

- Subarea 23-6 excluding Effingham Inlet inside or northerly of a line between
boundary signs at 48 degrees 59.358 minutes north latitude and 125 degrees
10.783 minutes west longitude and 48 degrees 58.958 minutes north latitude and
125 degrees 11.355 minutes west longitude near the entrance to Effingham Inlet.
Please note that there is a possibility of boundary changes for the June
fisheries and information will be released by Fishery Notice and announcement
on the grounds.

Min. mesh 100 mm., max., depth 90 meshes, max., hang ratio 3:1, corkline to web
distance min. 0 cm, max. 2 m.

Incidental catch of chinook and coho may be retained. Steelhead may not be
retained. Six strand Alaska-twist web, conventional multi-strand web or a
combination of the two may be

Anyone have news?

A FN buddy is having some success with nets near Clutesi, and I have heard that some are trolling up a few, all as of mid last week.

My dad is heading to the sound with a flatland couple and is wondering if he should give the inlet a whirl or simply head out.

Thanks in advance.

Heard a few reports from the past weekend, some fish were definitely around. Heard of a few limits (or just fish caught) from China Ck to Nahmint, also heard of a few skunkings. Thinking next weekend should be good or at least reasonable. I might try one evening, will post if I catch something.

I am seasonal at China Creek. We were out Saturday and had 2 hits but could not keep them on. We went out Sunday and got 9 for 9. Went out this am and got 2 for 3.

Still spotty, one day is OK, next nada. Saw a bunch of jumpers on my way home from Bami tonight.

FWIW river netters still doing well.
Can't decide to run over tomorrow or wait half a week.

Dudd's fancy seeing you on here. I'm heading out this weekend and next week will give a report hopefully some rain in the system pushes the fish up the canal.

Deadvilles out there, just got back from trying my luck this morning, zippo. I didn't see a net out, talked to the fisheries lady at the rock, nothing yesterday also....maybe somebody had more luck than me. Saw a 'few' marks on the sounder but no define schools what so ever.

When the sockeye show up initially:- If there's lots of cool river water and there's nothing to stop them going up the rivers...then they will go up the rivers....they won't hang around long schooling up to wait..because there is no reason for them to wait.

If you get tons of rain in May and June along with a good snowpack in the hills that is melting....these will provide optimal conditions for the fish to go straight up the rivers.

Ideal situation for fishing would be:- tons of sockeye showing up with nowhere to go because the rivers are too warm and too low. Then they will school up and wait because they have no choice.
A long dry spring with low snowpack and no rain would make the rivers lower and warmer.

Early arriving sockeye (early May) tend to just go straight up the rivers......

No snowpack to speak of this year, quite low.
River level dropping daily.
River temperatures approaching 20 degrees C.
Inlet cooler.

Stage is set. Should we realize a warming trend (not this cooler weather of late) AND the fish show up during or after that in any numbers, it will be Game ON!

Putting the boat in the water next week... ;)

Cheers,
Nog

Fished from Hocking Point down through Hook Bay, did the Nahmint loop, back through middle and then along from 10 Mile to Bells Bay. Saw 4 jumpers and not a single scratch on the sounder. Never saw or "heard" a net out today. As Matt suggests, need some sun. The gillnetters did poorly again on Tuesday outside so hopefully they get something this Tuesday to let us know they are coming.

Stunning silence ;-)

Heard a couple of reports this a.m. of a VERY slow weekend.
As usual, some boats got a few fish, but the vast majority were skunked.

Back