Campbell River Reports 2014

Slow at the green can yesterday afternoon. Didn't see a lot of bait so we moved over to the north west side of the hump and found the bait. Anyone else having success?

Saw one boated yesterday afternoon. I only caught a couple doggies, one at 200' and one at 80'. still working on the depth/tackle combo to find the good stuff. Heard of success on plugs without flashers so will try that next time the wind lets me out.

Did anyone see the Humpback that came though last night? Unreal! Two full body breaches just south of the ferry about 7pm followed by a couple awesome rollover paddle slaps. It made a course for my 16' aluminum (drifting, motor off of course) and the wife got a little worried. Awesome sight as when it took a breath 50 yards from the boat he was about twice as wide as my boat is long (or so it looked).

Fished the Green Can this morning until about 3 when the wind started to howl. Landed a 14 pound spring, a hatchery coho and a pink (!). Lost 3-4 others. Using hootchies at 120-150'. Most of the action was around slack tide at Noon. Lots of boats for a Thursday. Didn't see that many nets so the fishing was not super hot but reasonable.

Saw one boated yesterday afternoon. I only caught a couple doggies, one at 200' and one at 80'. still working on the depth/tackle combo to find the good stuff. Heard of success on plugs without flashers so will try that next time the wind lets me out.

Did anyone see the Humpback that came though last night? Unreal! Two full body breaches just south of the ferry about 7pm followed by a couple awesome rollover paddle slaps. It made a course for my 16' aluminum (drifting, motor off of course) and the wife got a little worried. Awesome sight as when it took a breath 50 yards from the boat he was about twice as wide as my boat is long (or so it looked).

Humpbacks are wondrous creatures, but I am concerned when they are about and I haven't noticed them, or they me. Unlike orcas that use sonar and know where we are, humpbacks use no such locating system. They breach without knowing their landing zone. On my way up to Brown's Bay last year, I had one breach about 75 yds in front of me, I never saw a spout beforehand or any other sign until it came out of the water. They are huge, and create a mini tsunami at that distance. Not frightening enough to wake the dead, but 5 seconds earlier for me or 5 seconds later for him and I think I'd never awaken again.

Got a late start to fishing today. Only got out at 10:30-11:00. Fished hump at first and landed a hatch coho and a 15 pound spring, both on Christmas tree hootchie (black, pink, and green with tinsel) at 200 feet. Slowed down for me around 1-1:30 so went to fish the green can until 5pm. Missed a couple of hits but was slow for us there. Saw enough nets to know that we were doing something wrong. Tried all depths, and switched gear but we never got it right. By the looks of things, most fish being boated in the afternoon at the green can were small (coho size). Wouldn't mind hearing reports from guys at the green can this afternoon to find out what was working, if you're so inclined.

We fished the green can today starting around 11 and got two in 20 minutes. Much slower but somewhat steady after that. Caught and released a bunch of small springs. 4 inch green glow and a cop car between 130 - 160.

4 of us ventured away from Nanaimo in search of salmon. We had a newbie salmon virgin from Alberta with us and wanted him to get into some fish. With things being slow around here, sketchy in Barkley Sound and sockeye non existent for sporties in Port Alberni I contacted Chris from Crabby's Charters. We met him at Salmon Point Marina as he prepared for his first of 2 charters for the day. He flashed up his chart plotter for us, pointed us in the right direction, handed over a selection of gear and we were on our way. We weren't disappointed. Fishing on flat calm water, in the sunshine with only 6 or 7 boats around us we got our limit of 8 springs. The Alberta boy is now hooked, much like his father and brother who were also fishing and got hooked a few years ago.
A great day. Many kudos to Chris for taking the time out to help us out. What a beautiful area you have north of us.

Fished the green can this morning for a couple hours, no bait on the screen as it was a couple days ago, moved to the hump and hit fish right away. Kept 2 12# springs and released a few undersize. Beauty day out there!

Sure glad you guys are having a good year, it's desolate off Victoria/Oakbay :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have stayed closer to home. Took a long run for a skunk on salmon (one under sized) and a skunk on crab (fished a "recommended area", to no avail). Consolation limit of snapper, but certainly not the target today. Not complaining though. A beauty day, and two great whale shows to keep things interesting.

Guy at the ramp said he had a great day playing with small coho close to home.

4 of us ventured away from Nanaimo in search of salmon. We had a newbie salmon virgin from Alberta with us and wanted him to get into some fish. With things being slow around here, sketchy in Barkley Sound and sockeye non existent for sporties in Port Alberni I contacted Chris from Crabby's Charters. We met him at Salmon Point Marina as he prepared for his first of 2 charters for the day. He flashed up his chart plotter for us, pointed us in the right direction, handed over a selection of gear and we were on our way. We weren't disappointed. Fishing on flat calm water, in the sunshine with only 6 or 7 boats around us we got our limit of 8 springs. The Alberta boy is now hooked, much like his father and brother who were also fishing and got hooked a few years ago.
A great day. Many kudos to Chris for taking the time out to help us out. What a beautiful area you have north of us.

Glad you guys had a good time,we are spoiled here fore sure!

Back