Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Hey, I just moved to Parksville and am wondering where to fish this May. I have fished Thrasher and and all along Gabriola but have not ventured north of Entrance.

I would prefer to launch in French Creek or Schooner Cove. Can I find the same quality of fishing as I have seen in May at Gabriola closer to Parksville? Do people fish off Ballenas Islands?

PL

Sculpin, my son and I were out for a few hours this morning. Caught one around 8lbs, John missed a pin popper and we had something break us off. Wasn't nearly as many fish on the sounder as last week and it looks like the bloom is just starting.

Pescado -

yes, there is great fishing up that way just like there would be off Nanaimo! the fish are running past those areas, so you have a good shot! Ballenas and other surrounding areas can produce - similar gear and tactics as to what you would use off Gabriola...

Was out this morning too, after my wake up call from Sculpin to inform me I slept in and it was flat calm out there...lost a small one near the boat, that was it for action, picked up my buddy leaf at around 12, we dropped a crab trap and headed back out trolling . somebody must have had there prawn string floating on the surface cause when I went to go in my 70 wouldn't start, came in on the kicker and grabbed the crab trap,( 1 keeper 3 undersize) when we made it to the dock I tilted up the 70 and could see it had somebodies line in the prop... real thin diameter line green and blue.. I never saw any float or anything so I have no idea how I hit it... flushed myt motors at home and the 70 started fine without the rope In the prop (Go figure)... still no fish for the fugly boat..gotta bag one soon :)

Thanks banger. It will be tough not to trailer the boat to nanaimo especially if the reports are good but I will give it a try further north for sure. I guess it looks like trolling the south side of Ballenas could work. Unless it's better up at Sangster..... We can just hope for another good year and we should be able to find them all over.

Was out yesterday morning at the fingers had some early action but it died off and there was nothing after that for the rest of day. Crabbing has been really good. I've been getting at least 4 keepers every time I'm dropping my traps.

My son's fish from yesterday. His first fish in about 8 years, I kinda ruined him when he was younger by forcing him to come out with me every weekend. Glad he is starting to come back out :)
bransfish001_zpsa91158ab.jpg

hey I55.. I will bite the head off an anchovy if your buddy with the six fish off fingers yesterday could post up a pick.. it was dead out there and he definitely didn't clean six fish at the launch.. not saying it didn't happen but.. sounds to good to be true..

If there's no picture it didn't happen hahah and I would really like to see a picture of the anchovy de-heading lol

I was out at the fingers all day yesterday. There was 10 boats out there and i didn't see anyone bringing in fish. We got 1 early and it was dead after that. Not another bite out there all day. The 6 fish story sounds a little fishy to me. Lol.

I was out at the fingers all day yesterday. There was 10 boats out there and i didn't see anyone bringing in fish. We got 1 early and it was dead after that. Not another bite out there all day. The 6 fish story sounds a little fishy to me. Lol.

It was posted in a Facebook group last night, a pic of 3 dead ones and I think it said they got some others. They were obviously the hot boat.

hey I55.. I will bite the head off an anchovy if your buddy with the six fish off fingers yesterday could post up a pick.. it was dead out there and he definitely didn't clean six fish at the launch.. not saying it didn't happen but.. sounds to good to be true..

hes not on this forum and his buddy has the pics and i seen the pics and fish wen i went to his hopuse yesterday to give him some free crab

I know who his buddy is.... Here's your picture. I know it's only 5, the sixth one came later. Can't wait to see you and that anchovy..... LOL :)

Salted is better jeffy ;)

whats with the clothes pins in the mouths??

Back