Powell River 2014

Hi guys! My wife & I (from Comox) zip over to Powell River side of straight for the occasional fishing outing. Can you recommend a mooring place where a guy can get off boat, walk dog around, maybe lunch, a cool one?

Thanks

If North of Powell River then Lund is great. Lunch at Nancey's is always good. Westview Gov wharf and you are only minutes from Marine drive and a bunch of businesses and restaurants. If you are South of town the Beach Gardens was a very nice spot. not sure if it is still there?? Around the corner a little from Grief Point.

The main harbor in Powell River http://marinas.com/view/overview/1568_Powell_River_Westview_Harbour_BC_Canada

Beach Gardens this is a neat place where you can dock for a cold one and you can even watch your boat from the deck good summer stop http://www.beachgardens.com/

Also you can moor in Van Anda on Texada Island and walk up to the Texada Island Inn for a snack

I personally love going to Lund they have all the services you would need and great food at Nancy's bakery free moorage for 2hrs.

Thx for posting some great pics Hurt...fished PR with my older bro a long time ago..miss the scenery...looks like fishing there may be on a come back after a lot of slow years

Thx for posting some great pics Hurt...fished PR with my older bro a long time ago..miss the scenery...looks like fishing there may be on a come back after a lot of slow years
I hope your right. Its a beautiful place. Fishing has been getting better every year.

Fishing is picking up. Still not back to the early 80's levels yet. Used to be able to go out and pick up a couple of coho almost anytime, did it quite a few times before going in to work. Maybe with the return of the herring things are starting to improve. I can remember derbies with 30-40 guys 120 coho easy. Not as many springs back then, but that was prior to our in strait hatcheries.

hi guys, new to the area and were leaving from pender harbour. Fished to south end of texada last year and netted a few but looking to expand are fishing area. can somebody fill me in on were mystery,coho point, or rebecca rock might be. I'd like to do some fishing this weekend but not to sure where to go. any pointers would help. Thanks

If you are leaving from Pender Harbour, it is a run to the top end of Texada Island. Coho point is the Northwest tip of the island and Rebecca Rocks are in the middle between Texada and Harwood islands. Mystery is further to the far side northward of Harwood. Not sure what size boat you are running but it is a bit of a run. There are a number of spots closer that can be very productive.
Scotts Fir Point is the first point on the mainland when you come north from Hardie Island and there is the Bluffs and Hole in the Wall between Hardie and Nelson, Agememmon Channel (probably not spelled right) leads straight to Jervis Inlet.
Slightly north on Texada from you is Northeast Point and Pocahantas both areas can be good.

hi guys, new to the area and were leaving from pender harbour. Fished to south end of texada last year and netted a few but looking to expand are fishing area. can somebody fill me in on were mystery,coho point, or rebecca rock might be. I'd like to do some fishing this weekend but not to sure where to go. any pointers would help. Thanks

You don't need to travel that far.. The Pender area has good fishing but probably just far less reports.

I'd focus on bjerre shoals, Epsom point (Thormanby), bottom end of Texada, Lasqueti and sangster. Epsom has been good this time of the year in past years. Fish the deeper ridges you can see on charts surrounding the point (150-200').

Thanks for the help guys. Im fishing in a 20' trophy so on a good day a run to the top of Texada wouldnt be out of the question. Fished the bjerre shoals yesterday with another boat for about 4 hours and neither boat had any action. There was a lot of red slime on the lines, some kind of algae i think, ive read somewhere its best to move when you start going through that, not sure the truth behind that. Is the hardy island your talking about on the NW corner of nelson, the bluffs and hole in the wall are in blind bay? ive thought about heading up there before, is there good crabbing to be had in blind bay too? Were going to head down to epsom today and give that a try. i usually fish spoons but would you guys recommend bait at this time of the year? Thanks again, i'll let you know how we make out.

Bait is never a bad choice but coyote spoons IMO work as good as anything else in that area. Mongoose pattern or green/white glow.
The algae is a pain in the butt but there's not much you can do about it.

Couple undersized at Coho Pt this morning. Easy limit of dungy's though.

IMG_0826_web.jpgIMG_0827_web.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
What a great night out at Grant Reefs. Killer whales are on their way out there though. A couple around ten pounds as a bonus. Looked like the lings were stacked up over the wreck waiting for tomorrow. Good luck to everyone heading up on the derby. I hear the fish are still around up there.

I can't wait, we leave at noon tomorrow. Looks like we should get some great weather for at least the first half of the weekend.

Just remember "moderation" is the key. LOL And a private radio channel would a good idea too. Although it is entertaining listening in. Unfortunately I will be working so no fun for me.

Back