How many hali did you actually take in 2013?

seadna

Just out of interest, I'm wondering what the average hali take was per BC license holder. I know that on my boat we only took two (for three licenses) all of last year. Sure we're not the best hali fishermen and sure we could have worked at it a lot more (we probably devoted no more than 10 hours of time to fishing hali in BC all of last year). Nonetheless, we took no where's close to our six fish. Both fish we took were around 30lbs. So when we talk about changes in regulations, it would be interesting to know how many hali on average are kept by the typical license holder. So how many did you keep in 2013 and what was the average size?

I took 4. all were around 25-40 lbs. On that note, I have about 4 hali meals left. So I know I need to kill at least 2 more this season in that weight range.

If only DFO would be so proactive seadna and ask that question each year when we renew our licenses online. Might want to do the same with all fish we are required to record on our licenses. Can't believe they don't take advantage of a prime means of gathering such valuable info.

My wife and I filled our two licenses. most fish in the 25lb range with a couple around 40lb

Took 4 Hali myself & friends took 8 . 12 Hali total . All were 20-25 lb range. Threw back at least 10 a trip trying for bigger one's out by rat's nose .
Getting low !!!

0 on four licences in my house and zero on my three regulars i take fishing all summer

My boat caught 9. Kept 6 released 3 as they did not fit the slot. got burned at both ends of the slot by the way. Those six fish where spread amongst 6 fisherman over the season. two of which where from mainland. I am almost out now. Size range was from 15-40. fish released where about 70 and 20 ish.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shared one 50 between two couples. Kept a 15 picked up salmon fishing. And released a heartbreaker over 70 that was a first ever halibut for the gal on the rod.

2 at around 20lb.
Got fogged out on one trip or I would have caught one just over the slot.
Then have to release it doh.....

The Springfever II took kept 8 hali's between 20 and 40 lbs split between 5 crewmembers. All caught on experimental lighted Tomic plugs or lighted lures while fishing deep for salmon. I have none left. We don't specifically target hali's!

6 for me, biggest in March before the slot at 77.5 lbs (should have weighed it in :()
all the rest were chickens averaging 15-25 lbs

Back