not for profit vs profit ..outlooks and opinions

trophywife

Crew Member
discuss here. please no pissing. i am going to read for awhile before i comment.

Here is some sarcasm...I think we should split our team up and trade all the guides and lodge owners over to the commercial side. That would strengthen the rec fishers team and help them win in the future. Politicians never care about economics so it would be a good trade to make for the rec fishing team.

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone's ranting my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Someone's flaming my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

I just want to fish my lord, kumbaya
I don't care if I catch my lord, kumbaya
But please more TAC my lord, kumbaya
Oh lord, kumbaya

Geez, now someone is bringing religion into this! Lol

Growing dissension in the recreational ranks is not good.
sporties vs guides is wrong, we should be on the same team.
In actual fact many of the guides are the backbone of our rec fishery.
Why ? because they are organized and vocal about our fishery.
they attend many meetings and work long hours representing us
which the average joe doesn't have the time or will to do.
There is however a motive behind it, which is utilizing the fishery for profit.
I believe this is what drives a wedge between us.
Not sure how to fix it ?

I'm thankful to have guides on my side Craven said it well guides are organized and have motivation to stand up for our rights. We already have enough trouble fighting the commercial sector if the guides go over to that side the fight for the rec fisherman gets 20x harder.

Not sure how to fix it ?

I can't agree more. I can definitely see the divide and conquer aspect in play. I personally am a sporty but I certainly have no problem identifying with the guiding sector as part of our user group.

h.e.h.

Not sure how to fix it ?

I wish you were right, craven but unfortunately there are only a few select ones that show a high level of dedication and involvement in the overall fishery politics. It is hard to comprehend for me "why" but most guides only care for their own business and only come out and shout and complain when the regs affect them but disappear very quickly again when there is a call for help on solutions and involvement. You would think guides better look out for the big picture and get proactively involved to protect the resource, the sport fishery and therefore the long-term viability of their business but they seem more concerned with day to day issues of their own little world.

Now having learnt and said this, there is at least the same percentage of complacent and ignorant people among the non-guide rec fishers that never bother to lend a hand in any critical initiative. But with them I have more understanding as not all 300,000 anglers in BC are overly passionate about fish and fishing but see it rather as a nice-to-have leisure time amusement for a couple of times a year and could really live easily without it if it was shut down. There are only a few hard core obsessed anglers who are willing to fight to keep it alive because fishing is their life. But I had thought at one time that guides had a greater motive and incentive to get involved but found out that this isn't so with many. Sadly enough.

But to make this very clear again: there are some guides that are at the forefront of the good fight and sacrifice a lot of their time and some of them are brilliant at it and without their involvement the rec fishing sector would be miles away from where it is today.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree we cannot let petty differences split the sporties from the guides and lodges.
We are all on the same side and must remain that way.
To have a split on this would only reduce whatever clout we have with this government.
Guides and lodges do profit from this but they are also promoting the love of the sport to people who are not boat owners.
Remember that these people are also voters and we need them on our side.

Very good posts in this thread. Some of them I agree with completely and have posted similar comments in other threads past.

Here you go CL.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/460INShy3BU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I really can't believe that this axe still needs to be ground! Some people NEVER learn!! I just shake my head.

i apologize osama, i guess i was tired of the smearing of other threads and wanted some open opinions. pass the bacon then.

Yah. Guide bashing is fun. Come on Lorne gimme a hug.

I have no problem with guides. My problem has always been with people with no integrity. Some happen to be guides :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it as simple as - If you need a recreational license to fish you are a recreational fisherperson and on the same team, some of these are guides.

Back