The 2014 Bamfield Tuna Shootout!

Looks like we might still be having a few email issues with contact@bctough.com. I'm currently out of the country but should respond within a day or two. If you don't hear from me please fire a PM on here. I will also send an email off tonight to participants from last year with some more info.

On another note we had 4 boats confirm they're sending cheques in today as well as some inquiries. I'll post when we are down to 20 tickets left.

Whoo Hoo, ticket number 7 this year for the Sculpin crew :D. Just mixing it up a bit and trying for some luck :cool:. I'm soooooo STOKED!!!
Thanks Kelly. Your the man.
Cheers,
John

There are going to be far more guided trips out of tofino than ever this year. I think the deal is you book your salmon trips and if tuna weather appears then you get to go tuna fishing and there will be an extra fuel surcharge. I doubt you can just book a tuna trip UNLESS you gamble on last minute and search for a last minute booking hoping the weather pans out. If the weather crumbles then you are going salmon fishing or loosing your deposit on the trip if you do not go.
I bet if a guy did the last minute gamble if he/she kept trying would eventually be able to land a trip. If I was doing this I would get on the net and the phone and make a call list or get put on a call list. When you see good weather then start calling all the guides who are doing tuna. They'll find you a trip.

Orrrrrr... get on a boat at the shoot out.

Yes thank you, I have my own 24 foot boat but i have not been tuna fishing gotta see it done before i go and float around on my own and decide if i like it enough to invest in the extra gear.

I was thinking about asking Doug Rodgers on a trip as my boat and Guide is contracted though him at his lodge in the summer.

But this shootout sounds like it would be a fun thing to be involved in.

60 tonne ticket and insured? i am working on this so i can tuner guide..

finally someone has said it...

It's illegal to guide on the west coast if you are further than 25 miles from any point of land, unless you have a 60 ton licence and proper insurance, plus all the normal TC stuff.

It's absolutely insane that all these guy's think this is a game and they are just gonna start running charters 40-60 miles offshore....with clients.
Tuna fishing is serious business and if something goes wrong....you had better be prepared for everything....

I get a little tired listening to some of the west coast guides/lodges telling and advertising tuna trips when they really don't have any understanding of the elements...

I'm not saying everyone...and yes...their are some real professionals out there...I'm just saying that people really need to understand what they are getting into with a fishery like this....

Where were you last year? Are you coming this year? :)

If my enthusiasm for the fishery irritates you, I will try to bump it up a notch :p.

No I wasn't, But I heard some pretty funny stories about you there! Hope to see it for myself this year.

Lets use a new thread for this topic. Thread started. http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...e-and-Limitations-RE-TUNA&p=328086#post328086
finally someone has said it...

It's illegal to guide on the west coast if you are further than 25 miles from any point of land, unless you have a 60 ton licence and proper insurance, plus all the normal TC stuff.

It's absolutely insane that all these guy's think this is a game and they are just gonna start running charters 40-60 miles offshore....with clients.
Tuna fishing is serious business and if something goes wrong....you had better be prepared for everything....

I get a little tired listening to some of the west coast guides/lodges telling and advertising tuna trips when they really don't have any understanding of the elements...

I'm not saying everyone...and yes...their are some real professionals out there...I'm just saying that people really need to understand what they are getting into with a fishery like this....

Last edited by a moderator:
I really like the format of giving the past participants the first choice. Thanks guys. I also like the early announcement to weed through the no shows etc. Let's get this thing rolling. This is the event of the year. Pay up and get your tickets.

I'm going to be distributing some posters down South at the Seattle boat show and talking to some hardcore Bloody Decks folks. The competition could be ramping up ;). I really hope I can talk Black Velvet into towing his rig up and participating in this years event. I hope he can talk some other folks in showing up as well :).

For any one that knows of a boat entering the event, now is the time to try to get on it. Don't wait until spring or summer. Secure your deckhand spot NOW!!!

Should make a deck hand thread?

We definitely will be doing this closer to the event once boats are finalized.

The email issue has been sorted out, that address is good to go. Just fired off some general info to last years participants. We have had another 5 boats send cheques out today which leaves 15 spots open at last count.

I knew it would not take long to sell this out this year. Such a wicked event last year, looks to only be getting better this year. The Hardy Boys already have the accommodations and moorage booked.

If your thinking about it I would get on it before they are all gone!

Not that excited!

What!

Any chance of someone stepping up and providing live bait for the event.
We run out of Westport and pick up a scoop before we run over the bar.
One on the troll and the rest on live anchovy.
The feel of the take is awesome.

Back