Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

Went for a quick fish this evening after dinner on the Pender bluffs. Caught a smaller Spring (around 7 pounds) on a blue/green hootchie this evening and lost a much bigger fish on a blue Coho Killer. Beauty evening on the water.

Fished Pender Bluffs today.. 1 for 3 with a 10# hatch landed.. Coho killer and chovy was the ticket.. Saw a couple of nice fish taken. Nice to see lots of bait around.

A BIG thank you to 7Deuce for the report of Killer Whales between Snake and Gabriola this afternoon. Thanks again Mike and you will have a $50 gift certificate waiting for you. Thanks to everyone who is taking part and giving me a call with whale info it really helps the fuel bill

For those who haven't heard about what i am doing here it is again:

Give me a call with good whale info anywhere from Victoria to Texada with a time, direction of travel, number of animals and speed of travel. If I find them from your report I will give you a $50 gift certificate to Harbour Chandlers or the boat or tackle shop of your choice.

Simon cell # - 250 883 3358

Ocean EcoVentures Whale Watching
Cowichan Bay

Fished Pender Bluffs today.. 1 for 3 with a 10# hatch landed.. Coho killer and chovy was the ticket.. Saw a couple of nice fish taken. Nice to see lots of bait around.

One of those nice ones was me. Caught a 22# on a green and white Spoon. Lots of other boats out there. Going out again Tomorrow.

Porlier last night 5:30- 8:30. Thought we would try the 1000 ft contour instead of in close to shore where I usually fish. Missed one due to hook/knot failure. Released one under. Picked one up at 8:00 closer to shore on a blue/silver matrix spoon.
Anyone have luck fishing farther out from porlier at this time of year?? Have caught pinks and sox out farther, just wondering about springs. Thanks

Anybody fish the Bluffs the last couple of days ?? Thanks..

I fished bluffs Monday night, no bites.

Found a needlefish bait ball and a herring ball, and marked lots of fish near the bait, but couldn't muster up a strike!

Bait balls were at 130 feet near the bluff with the white face

Anybody fish the Bluffs the last couple of days ?? Thanks..

Put in couple hrs and boated one 10# Wednesday. Sitka sand lance spoon painted green / glow. Couldn't tell you the depth.... it hit it dropping the rigger. Prolly 75'. Ton of bait marked throughout the column but mostly on bottom. 6" herring in stomach.

Fished the Pender bluffs two days ago and my partner and I limited out in about 3 hours. 3 out of 4 were clipped Yankee Springs. Anchovies on teasers were the ticket. Caught everything at 100 - 150 feet. Lots of bait showing. I fished the bluffs this morning for about 4 hours with no luck. One strike that took the chovy but otherwise no love and not much bait around? The Victoria reports are a little discouraging and wondering if we are in a bit of a lull.

Question for you guys fishing Porlier if anyone can shed some light. We're overnighting in Silva this weekend and if Thrasher area is slow we may try Porlier.

When end you guys are fishing Porlier I assume you are fishing in the Strait off of Porlier as opposed to right in it? I can imagine it would be pretty gnarly if fishing right IN the pass. Have boated thru there tons of times so know what it can be like.

Thanks!

Not sure what it's like these days but when I was a kid I fished it at full tide change when it's ripping in a 12 foot car top aluminum boat with a 9.9 evy. My favorite way to fish it was go on the back side of points in Polier to the back eddies and you can put your boat right on the edge of the rip and the other in the boiling water and you will just sit there. Whole herring and a banana weight worked great you may want to check closures in the area as things have changed over the years. I'm guessing the spot to be now is run through Polier to the Vancouver side a little ways out and vear to your right the Galiano side. There is a wall and troll that wall just be careful as if the current is running hard you could have your gear pushed into the wall and have it hang up. Tack back and forth along that wall there used to be some good trolling along there. The inside of Polier wasn't the best I found I preferred right in the pass and the outside. One thing to be cautioned about is on your left hand side of the pass heading through towards Vancouver there are a lot of reefs just under the surface but when ling fishing that side back in the day picked up the odd accidental Spring while waiving my line through the needle fish trying to cut them up, kids lol! Again the regs have changed a lot since years back so you may want to check the no fin fish areas.

Hambone. My general info for fishing porlier,(I don't have any secrets as I haven't been fishing long enough)is. Through porlier(towards the straight of Georgia) right turn. Lines in as soon as I'm out of the nasty current. Usually start at 120 ft on rigger and go from there, troll down galiano to blue roof.turn around. Repeat.have had best luck on low slack. View attachment 11588

here was a good previous post to help you out Pip

At Salamanca this morning for the low slack - released one undersize & lost a pin popper, green coho killer @ 140' on the down rigger other than that verrrrry slooooow. One other boat, didn't see any net work going on there.

Fished porlier sat am. Had no joy in usual spot so pulled up and headed for thrasher. Just as we were leaving saw one netted right in front of the opening of porlier. Tacking back and forth in front opening. Might wanna give it a try as well. Good luck.

Back