Gulf Islands 2014 Reports

Heading to Porlier tomorrow, unless I go somewhere else. Hope it's 'The Spot' to be tomorrow.

Good luck out there vanislehunter! I'll be out there too.. Not sure if ill make it up to porlier unless I find a couple accomplices with gas pitch. Will likely just stick to the cable area where it has been decent. Massive bait balls starting to show up blacking out the sounder.
heve9ube.jpg

If I recall did you (Fortyfour) not catch a 16# on Jan 16 as I recall telling myself hopefully you get a 20# on the 20th. Could be wrong though. Parts in for boat so maybe out next weekend

Cheers
Tony

Sounds about right! I did get a 20 on jan 20th last year... Maybe a 16 on the 16th too lol! I have strange luck like that.. How's the boat comin along?

Cheers,

Tried to fish porlier today, too rough for my little boat. Tried on the inside of Galiano where there was lots of bait but no love there either. Pulled the crab traps and one had two flounder it. Decided to jig there for a bit and picked up a couple more. Got dinner for tonight at least. How'd anyone else make out?

Tried a few hrs on the tail end of the ebb tide through the slack. No bites today was a fair bit of bait on the sounder.

Bait was stacked on the sounder today! Slow start to te day but after the tide turn we ended up with three 8lbers in the boat

Fished porlier from noon to 2 on Saturday Choppy when we arrived but calmed down nicely. Nothing for us but to be out.

i was out on saturday what a ride the waters were nasty for the inside . tried morsby to rough-windy tried going out side to salimanca to rough went tucked into thieves bay got two under size 200ft water 160 ft down green glow spoon. oh ya i was the only boat fishing. :)

Tent island today for about a hour and a half.. Noon till 1:30. Saw no bait. Saw no fish. ( except one small ling that was released)

Anyone having any luck in the gulf islands?

Going to cross the straight next weekend and would love to hear some good news

Thanks for the report. Hope to have boat ready for next weekend. Will report back

Been pretty quiet on here for about 3 weeks. Where'd everybody go?
My last two outings came up empty handed for fish. The wind on weekends always seem to blow up so i've only been able to get out in the evenings after work. I was at tent last weekend from 5 to 7:30, some bait on the sounder but no fish biting. Last night I ventured out to porlier and fished from 5:45 to 7:15. It was a glorious evening to be on the water hardly any waves. Fished from 60-140ft in 140 to 300ft of water but couldn't hook into anything. Was pulling irish cream coho killers and gibbs ghost. Maybe they are only biting in the morning?

Anyone else been out or hearing about anyone catching fish yet?

Crabbing has been great though. The other day we pulled two traps and 30 crabs in them, 18 keepers. Picked the 8 most delicious looking ones and had ourselves some well deserved (I feel like I deserved it anyways) glutton time!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be over at galiano this weekend and will most likely put in some fishing time. I may head to Tent area to fish but that will depend on weather, etc. Also, for you galiano folks there is a fundraising concert / party at the Hummingbird pub this saturday, Apr. 5th - see pic for details.

Attachments

• Brickhouse-Galiano-PSF-Arp5.jpg
    Brickhouse-Galiano-PSF-Arp5.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 1,106
Gearing up for a few days of fishing this weekend. Haven't had much luck the last few trips out. Have tried Thrasher and Tent Island in the last week or so with no bites mind you I haven't exactly put in full days. I'm thinking about trying a few different spots over the next three days. Will likely fish Galiano up to Porlier then maybe Thrasher Rk or Tent Island area. I have also had some good days at Pender bluffs in April.

Out to tent island today. Dropped traps then lines in the water at about 10 am. Picked up one legal and released two under. 170 prawns as well. image.jpg

Back