Sooke 2014 Fishing Reports

Went out yesterday in my friends boat again fished from about 1:30 to 4:00 in whirl bay. Had about 15 fish to the boat, most were in the 2 to 3 lb range but did manage 7 lber and two 4 to 5 lbers. Lots of action just small.

Checked out Pedder Bay today, limited out. Couple fair size, couple just above limit and one nice one!! All right on the bottom, anchovies out fished the hoochies. Could have not asked for a nice day out on the water in January.
egugabag.jpg
2utymy3u.jpg
u6amygu6.jpg

Out to Trailer Park, 9-12 One 7lber, caught by a buddy we took along. 5 crabs, nice size and full of meat. Launched out of the hotel. Imagine the surprise on our buddies face when the fish he was cleaning, at the waters edge, a big gray seal launched up the beach and snagged his fish right out of his hand! We warned him...one almost got our last salmon at the same spot a couple months back. Oh well, a good fishing story! Xena

Fished 8:45am till 1:15pm today, Flat calm till we came in then an East wind with chop made the run back bumpy.

We trolled at various depths all along Bluffs and the Trailer Park for two hours with not so much as a touch. Eventually went round Otter to west side and got a decent hit on blue and white glow squirt at about 100'. Put a decent bend in the rod but came up fairly easily so I did not let the drag off. Got it close the surface 30 yards back of the boat and it gave a tremendous surge and pop went my main line. That's twice now in three trips. Did not have another blue/white like that so put on an army truck squirt and got one shaker and a little 4lb fish in the same area. Anchovy on the other side never got touched.

Beauty afternoon for January. Sure beats the frozen East!!

Got it close the surface 30 yards back of the boat and it gave a tremendous surge and pop went my main line. That's twice now in three trips.

Sounds like you need to change that line English !:)

Fished 8:45am till 1:15pm today, Flat calm till we came in then an East wind with chop made the run back bumpy.

We trolled at various depths all along Bluffs and the Trailer Park for two hours with not so much as a touch. Eventually went round Otter to west side and got a decent hit on blue and white glow squirt at about 100'. Put a decent bend in the rod but came up fairly easily so I did not let the drag off. Got it close the surface 30 yards back of the boat and it gave a tremendous surge and pop went my main line. That's twice now in three trips. Did not have another blue/white like that so put on an army truck squirt and got one shaker and a little 4lb fish in the same area. Anchovy on the other side never got touched.

Beauty afternoon for January. Sure beats the frozen East!!

Was that one of the blue/glow squirts I gave ya?

Was that one of the blue/glow squirts I gave ya?

Dave & Scott,

If you gave me a blue squirt Dave I don't recall. If you did I must have misplaced it. Apologies.

The one I used is pictured here. It is a Yamashita but I don't have the packet so don't have the name.

And Scott you are right about the line replacement on one side. The one that went the trip before last is a couple of years old. The one that went yesterday was less than 6 month old (yep, two different lines have gone on me, but in both cases I am to blame for being way too clumsy. In my defence, yesterday came out of the blue and I was not expecting anything after over two hours of NADA, so caught by surprise I suppose.)bluewhitesquirt.jpg

Have a good look at your rod eyes, make sure you don't have a rough spot that's causing wear on your line. Always a good habit to strip off a 10-20 feet now and again and retie, most breaks happen at the knot.

Sometimes its just bad luck or just loose the drag up, slow down and enjoy it.

/QUOTE]

Fished Trailer Park 9-11. Used anchovy on both rods. Purple onion flasher, chrome/bloody nose anchovy head. In 155-165ft of water, dragging bottom. Hubby got one in 5 minutes. Got our limit in less than two hrs! One 9 lber and the other three BBQ fish. Beauty day! Missed the fog all together. Xena

Went out from 8:30 to 12:00, had to test out my rivet repair. The past few trips had water getting in a little too much. Put in about a dozen new rivets. I noticed a few galvanic holes under the trailer bunks. Drilled them out and plugged those with a few rivets as well. The repairs were great the boat was never drier. We started out in Beecher till about 10:30, no action, picked up the gear and went to whirl bay. We only got small ones there and ended up keeping 2 4 lbers . Couldn't come back empty. Weather was good. Saw one descent fish, looked about 10 lbs or so.

I agree with you.

Ever since two mainland crabbers were given permits to crab in the harbor it has been the *****. They crab at full speed, create too much wake and bounce every boat at our dock, they drop their floats and traps in the main boat channels and 10 feet of our dock. You yell at them and they appear not to understand English.

I have called and written to DFO like many other and they have slowed down around the dock but I suggest that you write to DFO.

This thread is for fishing reports. If you want to talk about conservation or enforcement issues start a thread in the appropriate topic area.

This thread is for fishing reports. If you want to talk about conservation or enforcement issues start a thread in the appropriate topic area.

Admin

this about fish sooke and why crabbing sucks

I think your getting a little to picky about what goes where

How does everyone else feel about this.......

Doug...the posts that were getting too far into the politics of it have been removed by the poster, so it is all good now.

Back