Okanagan Lake Sticky

Sorry for the late reply fishhound. Our fish have come on a purple and white Lyman, a silver green coyote spoon and a yellow/pink matrix spoon. All trolled on the surface. I'm heading out to fish okanagan in a few minutes. See if I can't get anything a bit bigger this time.

Fisher-dude, thanks, hope you had a good day

Seagirt, one can only hope that the lake has enough nutrients, all I know is when I was a kid, the lake had a lot more Kokanee than now it should be able to support more fish specially with a 5 fish limit

I lived close to Mission Creek when I was young come spawning time you could nearly walk across the creek on th fish, a ditch ran along the back of our property to Gertzmar Rd and then north to hwy 33 it had spawning kokanee all the way to and then under hwy 33

I can't comment on the 5 fish limit, I don't know angler days, retention, or other factors (and even if I did, the math on that it sounds like a headache). I do know that there were more nutrients (and ecoli) entering the lake before better sewage systems were put in place and this could have bumped up productivity substantially (OLAP reports speak to this). Urbanization and damming of water courses, curbing of septic and other anthropogenic effluent, and mysis introduction have changed the lake. I agree with you that more kokanee, bigger rainbow, and increased angler effort and economic boost would be great, I'm just not sure the answer is as simple as a hatchery.

I can't comment on the 5 fish limit, I don't know angler days, retention, or other factors (and even if I did, the math on that it sounds like a headache). I do know that there were more nutrients (and ecoli) entering the lake before better sewage systems were put in place and this could have bumped up productivity substantially (OLAP reports speak to this). Urbanization and damming of water courses, curbing of septic and other anthropogenic effluent, and mysis introduction have changed the lake. I agree with you that more kokanee, bigger rainbow, and increased angler effort and economic boost would be great, I'm just not sure the answer is as simple as a hatchery.

I am not sure either, but leaving the lake the way it is surely isn't going solve anything,
I know one thing for sure in the early 90s before the Kokanee closure the fishing in the lake was very good, don't get me wrong you still had to put in your time but the fish were there

I flogged the lake south of the bridge yesterday and managed 2 nice healthy bows in the 4lb range. I don't know how many times i changed lures but it doesn't really seem like they are hitting anything in particular. 1 on a cop car coyote down at 28ft and the other on an old red and silver plastic j-plug at 58. Almost every fish I've caught this year has been on something different. Surface temps shot up 8 degrees yesterday. Lots of debris floating around. Rod Henning was out down south and he caught pretty much the same as me. With the temps heating up, the fishing should get a little better. I've had my most luck when it's between 48-54.

I flogged the lake south of the bridge yesterday and managed 2 nice healthy bows in the 4lb range. I don't know how many times i changed lures but it doesn't really seem like they are hitting anything in particular. 1 on a cop car coyote down at 28ft and the other on an old red and silver plastic j-plug at 58. Almost every fish I've caught this year has been on something different. Surface temps shot up 8 degrees yesterday. Lots of debris floating around. Rod Henning was out down south and he caught pretty much the same as me. With the temps heating up, the fishing should get a little better. I've had my most luck when it's between 48-54.

how deep of water were you fishing?
I am in W Kelowna May and half of June and better pick up some pointer before I get there and go out fishing.

Thanks

If its got a chop on the lake, ill fish the surface. If its calm, I caught those 2 at 28' with the cop car spoon and 58' with the plug. Ive been marking fish as deep as 200 but havent bothered with them. This time of year, i usually fish just the surface.

I have never caught a bow below 120 but on kootenay lake guys will get them in the 150' range. Okanagan lake is spotty at best but buck tails are by far my best lure of choice. Apexs would be next followed by plugs

Was out yesterday late afternoon fishing around OK Center, water was flat like a mirror, washed a couple of bucktails and Lyman Lures never had so much as a nibble, I guess thats why the call it fishing not shopping

Wife gave me a free pass today so in going to launch at the El and head south to rattlesnake and fish around there.

FD

I was asking how deep of water 100', 200'.....600'.

I will be fishing the Mission to Rattle Snake Is area in a Skagi Orca . Say hi if you see me out there

Ohhh. Haha. I knew that....... It's a bit of everything. Hit 2 on the kalamore bench in 35ft. Caught a few more in that 90-120 range and then I also hit one in 200ish. These fish are a weird bunch. I've had one hit today on a buck tail behind a planer board and that's it.

FD got a free pass?...He thought I came home from work a day early so he got to go out and play again....Turd....guess he got a good tan tho.

Blue/red/orange on sunny days and white/grey on colour days.

Just towing them on the surface? No flasher or weight? I trolled around a few different colors yesterday with no luck. I ended up with 1 10" Kokanee caught on a 4" yellow/pink matrix spoon and 5-6 small rainbows caught on a 4" rainbow matrix spoon and a 3" green and silver coyote spoon all on the surface behind planer boards. Even hit a double header but lost one. I did loose a decent one pretty far behind the boat.

I have been fishing osoyoos lake recently it's a lot more productive then Okanagan. The rainbows are getting fat in osoyoos lake chowing on all the sockeye fry

Back