2013 Tuna adventures

Sculpin

As per Harper44's request :p.

Well it is getting closer to that time again. I changed the title to adventures because every trip out there for these addicting creatures is an adventure. Birdsnest was the first one out last year (that we know about on this board). Hopefully the weather and conditions co-operate and we get some chances in the coming weeks or months. I know I have been maintaining my boat and getting all the safety stuff ready. I'll be tying up tackle this week and have it stashed and ready to go.

If and when the stars align I will be looking to buddy boat it out there with anyone else that is ready to go.

Let's get our sh*t together and have it wrapped tight. Here's to a safe tuna season folks. Watch the weather and remember.....their only fish:).

Looking forward to experiencing, seeing, and reading the adventures.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
Sculpin,

I'll be fishing for them out of Neah Bay and usually fish the end of the Juan de Fuca Canyon. However, I'd certainly be willing to run a bit north to Nitnat for a buddy boat if our schedules synch up. I'll be out most every weekend in the summer, especially once we get beyond the first week in July. Given me a holler on the mobile number (I can PM it to you if want it) or on the VHF. "Meant to Be" is the boat name.

Sculpin

Other than I have a few things to purchase that you showed me from your stash I will be ready in the coming weeks; let me know when the stars are aligned and I will put a crew together if you are in need of a buddy boat! I got alot to learn but am game to give her a try; already invested too much not to go!

Cant wait boys, heading out to Bamfield on sat. Keeping an eye on terrafin Lets go get em. Tails up

I'm off to Bamfield on thurs to set up camp and chase some salmon/hali - boat will be there for the season, so I'm game and my job is very flexible for short notice.
Stoopid winter online shopping filled the tackle trays with stuff that's never been wet yet - let's get em!

Yep, good call John....The Westport guys are sharpening their hooks as we speak..........Last year the first tuna landed in Westport on a sport boat was in the end of June...........We don't call those tuna.......We call them "Juna"...Ha Ha Ha.......I'm sure Osama could get some Juna, but he's too darn busy killing springers..........But alas he will eventually bow to the tuna urge, just like the rest of us.

Yep, good call John....The Westport guys are sharpening their hooks as we speak..........Last year the first tuna landed in Westport on a sport boat was in the end of June...........We don't call those tuna.......We call them "Juna"...Ha Ha Ha.......I'm sure Osama could get some Juna, but he's too darn busy killing springers..........But alas he will eventually bow to the tuna urge, just like the rest of us.

Birdsnest landed one on July5th near Nitnat last year and I got a few in early July also. Who on SFBC will land the first one this year? My money is on Birdsnest.

I'd put my money on birdsnest or Tuna Don. But if the weather is good and the water looks right, I will be taking a stab at the title on the july long weekend. That is if no one else has claimed it...

Anyone going to be heading out of Nootka or Esperanza for Tuna? Have my boat up there for the summer and will be making several trips for salmon and halibut but would love to make a run out for tuna with someone that has some knowledge about tuna.

Could have fished today and by the looks of this it may not have been a complete waist of time. Its never a waist of time, I love it out there. Even if the tuna don't bite or aren't there all the other stuff is there to see. Soon. Very soon.
washngtn.c.gif

No good shots due to cloud cover but terrafin shows a couple of patches of 60+ water at both JDF and barkley...

Will be in Bamfield this weekend and weather is looking promising. Think it's worth taking a long boat ride?

Will be in Bamfield this weekend and weather is looking promising. Think it's worth taking a long boat ride?
I should be able to tell you by monday.lol

Boats out of Oregon for an early try got nada.. warm water is just in front of Columbia river, not attached to main current body yet

Back