What do you folks think about this boat design?

Sculpin

I have been seriously toying with the idea of building a bigger boat. With the business I'm in I can't afford not to lol. With the prices of new and used alloy boats on the market I just can't justify buying one. My plan is to build a hull and have it ready to go with cut out's and everything for the rigging. I would then, and only then, sell my current ride to power it and partially outfit it.

I have been emailing a bit with Bruce Cope on a certain design he came out with last year. Apparently two of them have been built up in Black Creek somewhere but I haven't made it up there to check them out. Bruce gave me the number of the guy building them. I owned a nice little 16.5' Cope cuddy model before my current ride and I like that he is a local designer with some history on the Island.

That certain design I mentioned before is this one.

http://www.aluminumboatdesigns.com/stock/26ftwalkaround.htm

In our conversations via email I indicated that I would like to lengthen the hull by 3 or 4 feet and increase the fuel capacity to 200 plus gallons. This is apparently no problem and for a small fee above the listed price he agreed to do said changes. There are some other things that I would like to change as well but I am still in the dreaming mode right now. I plan on buying the cutting files and plans in the next year or two and then start building shortly after. I am in no rush and I want to do it right. Research, research, research lol.

Anyways I wanted some input from folks on what you would change besides the two points I mentioned already. I really like this hull and I think I can come up with a ride that would suit my needs.

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Last edited by a moderator:
I would think with your skills and youth that should be a good project. I wish I was younger , I would try to build my own.
Sure would be a nice project t show on this site. :)

Looks like you would want a bit more deck space from them pictures. But it sure looks nice.

Apparently as drawn it's 6'9" from cabin bulkhead to the inside of the transom wall. By adding 3 or 4 feet like I want to, it would be close to the deck space I have now but only way wider.

I really like the walk around house but it will make rigging a bit tougher getting cables and wires in the house. If I was you I would put in 2 100g tank incase you have some kind of fuel problem. I noticed that it has 2 cut outs in the transom for seats or something. I would just put one cutout on the transom for a door and then a bigger fish box. It has a pretty steep dead rise will there be fish hold under deck in the bow or stern? If it was me I would put a cuddy in the front because your into tuna fishing and I think those guys did a overnighter way out the near Japan! Will be a sweet tuna machine. Have you considered a chambered aluminum boat?

I would think with your skills and youth that should be a good project. I wish I was younger , I would try to build my own.
Sure would be a nice project t show on this site. :)

I can only dream someday to start that thread Gunsmith.

If you want it, it will happen. I had to pay Wolfboats to do mine, but I am now living the dream, or at least part of it.

I can only dream someday to start that thread Gunsmith.

I really like the walk around house but it will make rigging a bit tougher getting cables and wires in the house. If I was you I would put in 2 100g tank incase you have some kind of fuel problem. I noticed that it has 2 cut outs in the transom for seats or something. I would just put one cutout on the transom for a door and then a bigger fish box. It has a pretty steep dead rise will there be fish hold under deck in the bow or stern? If it was me I would put a cuddy in the front because your into tuna fishing and I think those guys did a overnighter way out the near Japan! Will be a sweet tuna machine. Have you considered a chambered aluminum boat?

The rigging will be all under deck via cable ducts, so no problem wiring the house. Two tanks would be the plan and thanks for pointing that out. I am a major believer in dual everything lol. Yes, I don't like those seats at all, I think a door is a must have, either back there or on the side. The plans show three fish boxes. One in the main deck aft and two beside the pilot house. I would get rid of the two beside the pilot house and maybe even get rid of the built in one to save room for more fuel tank space. I like my totes and ice above deck and not have to deal with taking fish out of holds in the floor etc.

For the cuddy thing. I think the room up front is just for a head and it is small as drawn. I would increase the size of this area for sure. If I am going to take a dump I better not be cramped lol. I would want two bench seats behind the passenger and captain's seats that could convert to a bed for sleeping.

This is purely a fishing machine and sleeping is very minimal for this boat. Comfort like a heater etc. will be a must but fishing first.

This boat will be chambered as the bulkheads at various points will be fully welded making 3 sealed chambers.

Thanks for the input.

Will it have a open back or a welded bulkhead with a door? The guide in kelowna has a bulkhead with a door and the whole bulkhead can be removed in the summer kinda neat. Will you put scuppers out the transom are will there be some all the way down the sides? I also like thw reverse window but a brow on the top would spruce it up a little.

Will it have a open back or a welded bulkhead with a door? The guide in kelowna has a bulkhead with a door and the whole bulkhead can be removed in the summer kinda neat. Will you put scuppers out the transom are will there be some all the way down the sides? I also like thw reverse window but a brow on the top would spruce it up a little.

Welded bulk head with a good quality door like AJR or Diamond Seaglaze. I will not have an open back door for the place's I plan on taking her lol. Scupper's are apparently 4" x 8" rectangular openings out the stern. I like that size, the bigger the better IMHO. I agree that something different for the cab roof would look nicer.

I have AJR windows and door on my boat and they are very nice. Maybe you should get the boat plans for that Armstrong cat that you liked tha thing was bad A$$!

I have AJR windows and door on my boat and they are very nice. Maybe you should get the boat plans for that Armstrong cat that you liked tha thing was bad A$$!

This boat is still in dream mode lol. That Armstrong was bad azz for sure.

This thing will be minimal on the comfort side but I do want to squeak in the odd thing.

I think a fresh water holding tank with a pump is a must for washing down gear after fishing etc. What would be a good sized tank for that. I'm thinking 10 gals but maybe more?

Also, if anyone knows about the two built in Black Creek please speak up and let me know what they are like.

The other thing that appeared to me in the cad photos was that there is a lot of room between the cabin and the gunnels. I would like to increase the width of the cabin slightly but not make it uncomfortable to walk around. What is a good "gap" between the cabin and the gunnel? I would like to know from folks like Banana's and Peterman that have similar vessels. It would be nice to get some feed back from folks that have fished on boats like this as well.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Do you want to be able to walk around boat sides of the cabin? Munson boats build a lot of boats with a offset cabin good size single walkway and nice size cabin.

The lines of the Cope hull are sweet, the cabin has too many straight lines and is too small to be much use. I think for a pure fishing machine, reelfast has the best shaped house to maximize fishing space. I believe he has a number of full curtains if he really needs to be inside.

Attachments

• reelfast.jpg
    reelfast.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 234
Do you want to be able to walk around boat sides of the cabin? Munson boats build a lot of boats with a offset cabin good size single walkway and nice size cabin.

Both sides need to be able to walk around. Big springs, Albacore tuna, or halibut fishing. I want this rig to be the best fishing boat I have ever owned. Full walk around is a must.

Back