Yanmar to a VP DP outdrive

kanuckle head

A 6LY UTE came to my lap, I have dun some research & no adapter plt is available, but the interweb showz folks that have successfully matched an undertaking

Yanmar builds a new outdrive, pricey & early in her judgment stage for match'n a diesels longevity

Iz it worth the effort in matching a 290 outdrive, built for a VP diesel in a 260HP range. to match it to a Yanmar 315HP

Ps note I have knowledge in having shafts cut in my specified dimentionz & metallurgic-ally heat treated, for strength
and my passion is make'n what most say cannot B Dun, with limits

Worth it???

Kh

Last edited by a moderator:
Why dont you use the standard Bravo 2 or 3? I think the horsepower from the 6LY would lay waste to the smaller volvo gear sets. The Bravo2 is a bullet proof leg in my opinion.

Yanmars come with Bravo drives, so do John deers. Id like to see what happens to a VP gear set behind 315 HP. I already have a pretty good idea. I have seen them chew through many of the earlier Bravo3 upper gear sets.

Commercial grade bravo 3 ...

I believe yanmar has their own drives, the cummins used the mercruiser. Vp used their own drives 280's,290's and now the DPH

YEa, I think Yanmar has their own outdrives now. It has been a few years since I wrenched at a Yanmar dealer. I still think it would be a huge risk coupling a VP drive rated for 260hp with a 315 Yanmar, unless Volvo has come out with a larger variation?

YEa, I think Yanmar has their own outdrives now. It has been a few years since I wrenched at a Yanmar dealer. I still think it would be a huge risk coupling a VP drive rated for 260hp with a 315 Yanmar, unless Volvo has come out with a larger variation?

From all chatter on Yanmar coupling on the interwweb, seems merk had their chance & Yanmar had to make its changes & make it themselves. Failing Bravo drives, as they are known for

Less chatter on the north American design DPH, let alone the beefed model DPR. of Volvo Penta!!
Ahod

They have but it aint cheap:mad:

Attachments

• n646286166_515027_5631.jpg
    n646286166_515027_5631.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 644
Got some info on match'n Yanmar to Volvo
Looks doable but, in parts collect'n ..................not this year

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?68826-Matching-a-Yanmar-to-a-Volvo-outrdive

Len, the AQ series drives are Borg Warner capable. Borg Warner is Borg Warner all day long, and is an industry standard name.
The Yanmar 6LY flywheel cover would need to be Borg Warner also.
Our member Wayne Miller used this system to get his OMC 460 to a Volvo Penta DP-C1 drive several years ago.
It was relatively simple, and nothing was butchered up or make-shift.

You would not be able to use this Yanmar flywheel cover.
http://www.marathondiesel.com/site/c...aafff76cbf.jpg

You'd need to ask your Yanmar dealer for a Borg Warner F/C, or locate a good used one.
The 6 bolt Borg Warner pattern will look like this:

http://www.simplicity-marine.com/images/6lpa.gif

You'll need the Heavy Duty B/W drive coupler as well.

Once you get to B/W, then you'll need a B/W -slash- Volvo Penta PDS adapter housing that will take you to the Volvo Penta AQ series transom shield.
You will need SEQ #3 and the PDS and bearings/seals. ..... you can omit the other items and use the above drive coupler, or similar.
http://www.volvopentastore.com/mall/.../6/23064_0.png

Basically, you will be replacing this gasoline engine arrangement.................

....... with this (example only).

One catch..... the B/W --- Volvo Penta adapter housing is from late 70's/early 80's and were typically course spline at the AFT end (female yoke end).
The fine spline PDS can be used in this housing.

With this much torque and horse power, I'd suggest going to an "A" transmission....... as in 290A, SP-A, DP-A etc, and most definitely having new main drive gear bearings installed.

There may be a second method using the larger 10 bolt pattern flywheel cover and PDS adapter housing.
This would also be Volvo Penta OEM.

Kh

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Kh,

I just finished putting a 6LP-STZE in front of a Volvo DPS-M transom and drive. It's in a 24ft Silverhawk center console. After 20 hrs it runs well... so far so good. Haven't used it enough to tell how it is on fuel.

Tom

Back