For all those who think the Stamp has nothing but hatchery rats

Fish weight calculator put this guy over 20lbs!! Not a bad start to the winter steelhead season I'd say!! Check the sea lice.......just wandered in last night or this morning.

Attachments

• 388969_199070636847790_111664045588450_410864_131218538_n.jpg
    388969_199070636847790_111664045588450_410864_131218538_n.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 420
Very nice fish indeed.
Well done.

How rare are those fish nowadays though??

I have zero experience on the Stamp so my questions are all from ignorance and have no other meaning behind them, just so you know.

Take care.

Nice fish! Gotta love the Stamp wilds. So much bigger than the hatches.

this is one I got this year in Jan. from shore using a luhr jensen unscented egg cluster... very similar fish perhaps they are related. lol! Hopefully there's more coming up, it sure is nice to see big Steel coming out of the Stamp! I guess like BL said below, they are probably all genetically mixed with Hatches... o well.

Attachments

• big fish.jpg
    big fish.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 225
Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice fish indeed.
Well done.

I have zero experience on the Stamp so my questions are all from ignorance and have no other meaning behind them, just so you know.

Take care.
Nice fish!Rare indeed! Only a few of that size caught each season. Of the hundreds of Stamp fish Ive landed,not one has been even close in size, to that beauty!Wow!

nice fish .... im gonna catch him on friday from the bank

Not if I'm in your spot
2.gif

I can make a 12 look like a 20 holding it like that too!.

Nice fish though.

Lorne

Seriously????? You think that fish is 12lbs?!? WOW!!! Just for the record then.....it was 34" length & 22" girth. That calculates between 20 & 21 lbs depending on which formula you use. Doesn't matter HOW you hold it.....the numbers don't lie.

Your grin says it all SS. Fish of a lifetime. Well done for sure.;) eman

Actually, it's not me in the pic.....it's a buddy of mine. His first 20lb steelie!! He was grinning from ear to ear the whole day. The boys actually hooked 10 fish this morning, but this is the only one they are still talking about. :)

Very nice fish indeed.
Well done.

Take care.

Rare indeed, however, the Stamp has never been historically known for big fish like the Gold, Hoh, Thompson, Dean or Kalum for example. Average size has always been somewhere between 6-8 lbs, but we have caught quite a fair number over 10lbs in the 20+ years we've been fishing it. So far this year, there have been a pleasant number of 10+ lb hatchery fish showing up as well. Could be good ocean survival, good nutrient levels in the river for the smolts, who knows, just glad to see some nice size fish!! Here is a 14lb hatchery caught last week......

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 152
Nice to hear some good reports.
Theoretically there should be decent returns this year based on the past couple of "good pasture" years
in the north Pacific. (La Nina)

Well done again on that beauty too.

Take care.

Back