Tuna Talk

Sculpin

Well I thought we should keep this topic going through the winter etc. for R&D purposes:).

Here are some links I have found for some great tuna tackle, sea conditions, and video's etc.

Cedar plugs of all kinds.

http://www.seastriker.com/cedarplugs...s/original.htm

NOAA's Coastwatch browser is a real "rough" idea of what's going on temp wise etc. (Does nothing compared to a subscription to Terrafin or similar programs). Just fun to look at.

http://coastwatch.pfeg.noaa.gov/coas.../CWBrowser.jsp

Pakula tackles incredible video library.

http://www.pakula.com.au/index.php?o...311&Itemid=457

I hope others will participate and post up there links and idea's etc. for other's to research and take in for the next up coming season
:cool:

Cheers,
Sculpin​

LOL!! You coming to the shootout next year buddy?

Stupid tuna. I had my fishing spending under control until this happened!

We are starting a club as well. Details to come...

LOL!! You coming to the shootout next year buddy?

Stupid tuna. I had my fishing spending under control until this happened!

We are starting a club as well. Details to come...

Yeah I will be involved any way I can with this fishery next year. My name is John and I'm an addict ha ha:eek:.

Just undergoing a major electronics upgrade on the battleship. Going to finally get all the parts for my TACO outriggers that came with the boat. I have even been scratching my head around how to enlarge my pod to accept twin 90's or 115's. The only cure is bankruptcy:eek:.

It's all derby's fault for giving me those ten years of Saltwater Fisherman mag's:p.

Looking forward to the details of the club Jeff. Thanks for posting:cool:.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing about Tuna-they are quite simple to catch-there is no need to Throw Down Large for lures

Buy some small leadhead jigs-2oz, 4oz, 6oz and wrap some feathers around the thing-be sure to use something cheap for twine.

Tack on a 4' leader of 80# test and chances are that will work as anything you could buy.

One thing about Tuna-they are quite simple to catch-there is no need to Throw Down Large for lures

Buy some small leadhead jigs-2oz, 4oz, 6oz and wrap some feathers around the thing-be sure to use something cheap for twine.

Tack on a 4' leader of 80# test and chances are that will work as anything you could buy.

Thanks Dogbreath. I heard of a young fella out of Ukee a few years back that was making lures out of tin foil and hammering them.

This is a great idea, I have been doing the tuna thing for the last 5 years out of ukee, tofino and this last summer off the west side of the hiada gwaii. I would be more than happy to add all that I have figured out about this fishery. Ill have to head down to the boat and grab all my gear and take some photos. The outriggers are a huge asset, easily dobled the production of the boat after we put them on. I have also done some casting to breaking fish with swim baits. This is hands down the coolest way to fish catch them out there. This year wasn't nearly as productive for us as we went late august but we still managed to find a few. The pics are from a trip in 2010.

Attachments

• P9020509.jpg
    P9020509.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 957
  • tuna 2009 030.jpg
    tuna 2009 030.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 913
Offshore safety is a big one with me. Let's talk about safety equipment. I am looking big time into a good quality EPIRB unit. I would like to be able to purchase a life raft as well but that is still on the books. VHF radio's are a limiting factor as well under most recreational boaters set up's. You can talk to each other out there (buddy boats) but not land after a certain distance. Can anyone further this discussion on radio communication offshore?

Anyone want to add to the safety end of things?

This is a great idea, I have been doing the tuna thing for the last 5 years out of ukee, tofino and this last summer off the west side of the hiada gwaii. I would be more than happy to add all that I have figured out about this fishery. Ill have to head down to the boat and grab all my gear and take some photos. The outriggers are a huge asset, easily dobled the production of the boat after we put them on. I have also done some casting to breaking fish with swim baits. This is hands down the coolest way to fish catch them out there. This year wasn't nearly as productive for us as we went late august but we still managed to find a few. The pics are from a trip in 2010.

Thanks for the post mikep!!! Great pic's man. We would appreciate any tip's you can offer. I like the sounds of the success with the outrigger's. My boat came with Taco Grand Slams because the original owner fished tuna out of Newport Oregon. I have to buy the rigging kit for them. I really want to try them out next year.

Please keep us posted with any tip's or strategies that would help one out with this albacore tuna fishery.

Cheers,
Sculpin

Epirb is one of the first things we did on the boat its pretty much a must travelling offshore. You don't really need to get the full rigging kit for the outriggers, just the releases, the ones with the wire clip that holds the line. We got the full rigging kit and I ended up changing out all of the hardware and line for better components. What I have found it you need to have a good selection of gear to really put the numbers in the boat. I have full sets of, zukers, clones, cedar plugs, x-raps 15s 20s and 30s. Also it is good to have some smaller clones in the 3-4 inch size. Be careful with this tuna thing, its very addicting hehe.

Epirb is one of the first things we did on the boat its pretty much a must travelling offshore. You don't really need to get the full rigging kit for the outriggers, just the releases, the ones with the wire clip that holds the line. We got the full rigging kit and I ended up changing out all of the hardware and line for better components. What I have found it you need to have a good selection of gear to really put the numbers in the boat. I have full sets of, zukers, clones, cedar plugs, x-raps 15s 20s and 30s. Also it is good to have some smaller clones in the 3-4 inch size. Be careful with this tuna thing, its very addicting hehe.

Thanks for the input mikep. Thanks for the plug about the Epirb's I think safety should come first for offshore fishing. I have read about the smaller lures especially for up here. What are your thought's on colour's same as any fish bright on sunny days and darker on overcast day's?

Oh yeah I am way beyond the warning about the addiction!!!! I have been out once and can't stop thinking about it. It's all Shawn's fault ha ha!!!!

I have a "Spot" epirb on my boat.It lets you send email message plus gives you tracking on google earth,sets a mark every ten minutes!Also the panic button to the CG!

I have heard those spot's work pretty good. Do you need a subscription with them? Is yours the original or the spot II?

How long is the roof on your boat? Looks like you could put a small inflatable up there.

spots are good but only if you can get to it and turn it on, there not a replacement to a real automatic epirb which will go off if wet

Offshore safety is a big one with me. Let's talk about safety equipment. I am looking big time into a good quality EPIRB unit. I would like to be able to purchase a life raft as well but that is still on the books. VHF radio's are a limiting factor as well under most recreational boaters set up's. You can talk to each other out there (buddy boats) but not land after a certain distance. Can anyone further this discussion on radio communication offshore?

Anyone want to add to the safety end of things?
Portable ELT.. designed for aircraft and uses satellite technology.
http://www.survivalaviation.com/personal_locator_beacons.html
It may not be legal to have one on a boat but I would deal with with outfall, if I needed it and it saved lives.

"Why wait days being stranded in the outdoors hoping someone will find you? Put the power in the palm of your hand with 406 MHz GPS Personal Locator Beacon. Now you can turn that life threatening situation into a successful rescue story"

Mikep

What colour xraps do you use?

Thanks

monk

(Sub note to Island girl.... ELT and EPIRB are two different things.

You are right ELT is for aircraft , it can be G activated, water activated, or manual activated or a combo of. But it is not found on boats.

EPIRB comes in many different forms and EPIRB has nothing whatsoever to do with aircraft. It upon purchase and is authorized for use on boats , hiking , sleding etc. just saying! )

Just can't grasp why a guy like you would let the whole season go by with only one outing... If you lived in WA you would be out all the time I bet!! LOL

Next year Crabby.

Awww crap you guys.....I don't wanna read the first 3 pages....where are we at in the Tuna Talk thread.

Have we got past species and moved on to "eating"?? :p

This stuff is some kinda sweeeeeEEET!!

Y'all talking about how to bag it yet.....or you still talkin' weather patterns, line weight, where, who has the ugliest beard;), gaffin' and bleedin' still???? Sheeeot y'alllll!!!

CloverLeafRipnReadyPouchSUPTMSUPTunaAlbacore.jpg