Zip Ties to Anchor when Hali Fishing

SerengetiGuide

Hey guys,

I'm sure a lot of you anchor up (especially south island guys) when looking for halibut, I'm thinking of doing it once in awhile this upcoming summer to target the bigger fish when the currents and tides are fairly small, and I know a lot of guys use zip ties to attach their chain to their anchors (at both elbow and main ends), then should it break at main end its still attached to elbow and will release itself a lot easier. My question is, I'm not sure if zip ties would be strong enough to attach to the elbow end to ensure I dont lose my anchor, running a 30ft Pursuit and all. While I much rather lose the anchor before anything else, I also don't want it to needlessly break as well, I've heard suggestions of halibut cord and stainless steel thin wire to attach at elbow or even main end, but was wondering what you guys suggest??

Thanks!

DAve ill take a pic of mine this week for you I use a knock of bruce and where it bends to go to the shovel which im assuming your calling the elbow? its attached with a permanant shackle, then run the chain all the way up to the end eye and I double zap strap it. ive been hooke on same nasty thngs and it always lets loose secret it to lift in the same direction as you set even if you have completly moved positions try and run back the way you set....

Good luck Wolf

We use the same a large heavy duty zap strap on our anchor, running a 22' Renken Walk around with pod, zap strap works great, rarely have it break, only broke a few times on us getting it off the bottom. We have a pic posted where you can see our anchor with the Zap on it, if you look at Yammy5 picture he posted on this thread, you will see it...
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum...Victoria-Reports-Spring-and-Summer-2011/page9

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya guys, that's awesome, pics would be great wolf, really appreciate it, and any others that wanna show some pics of your set ups i'd be greatful for sure...have my set up pretty much good to go but still love to see different settings and ideas, can always improve. Using 68inch scotchmans with a ring about 3ft below scotchman, 35ft of 3/8's inch chain, over 600ft of 1/2inch rope, 22lb plow anchor that came with our boat....was either gonna use zap straps at both elbow and main end, or bolt to elbow then zaps at main end....

x2 on the pics would like to know how to do this safely -went out on several guided trips years ago and got the basic idea but should have paid better attention -- also a drawn diagram would be great!!!(including safety line on boat ) i have searched extensively on this forum and google but have failed to find good diagrams from the anchor to the boat

Ya guys, that's awesome, pics would be great wolf, really appreciate it, and any others that wanna show some pics of your set ups i'd be greatful for sure...have my set up pretty much good to go but still love to see different settings and ideas, can always improve. Using 68inch scotchmans with a ring about 3ft below scotchman, 35ft of 3/8's inch chain, over 600ft of 1/2inch rope, 22lb plow anchor that came with our boat....was either gonna use zap straps at both elbow and main end, or bolt to elbow then zaps at main end....

You want to bolt the chain to the elbow of the anchor and then zap strap the chain to the main end. That way if your anchor doesn't come free when you pull it, the zap strap will break at the main end, and the anchor will be pulled from the back. If you zap strap both ends you might lose your anchor.

You want to bolt the chain to the elbow of the anchor and then zap strap the chain to the main end. That way if your anchor doesn't come free when you pull it, the zap strap will break at the main end, and the anchor will be pulled from the back. If you zap strap both ends you might lose your anchor.

x2............

Lord: I found a few good videos of the setup online last year -- from manufacturer of the anchor retrievers I think. Copied a few below. Though none show the A-Z set up you're asking for. What they don't do, but should -- don't tie off anchor direct to your bow, better to have a line tied along side of your boat from bow to stern, and then attach to anchor line to this with a carabiner. Then if you need to let go in a hurry, you can untie (or cut) this line and you're free, and you don't lose your anchor.

Zap strap is the other thing they don't do ... that's something I haven't yet done but need to do as well.....will regret it if my anchor gets caught.

If you're in Victoria, Trotac is where to go -- they have a scaled down model of the anchor retrieval system, so you can see how all the parts work, then they will sell you a complete package.

There's a few different systems: 1) EZ puller, 2) split ring that buoy attaches to and you clip on, 3) solid ring that slides over end of anchor line (and you need a buoy at top of line so it doesn't pull through). Benefits of last two systems is they pull the anchor chain up too.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3276191502727616337#

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40nz7HVwcOw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwiNDQW_r08&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T8GdSvvL84&feature=related

I have had zap straps break a coupl times while fishing on anchor and its a pain in the butt. I went to and found that a low grade non stainless hose clamp works well and they take just a little more pressure to break which I find usefull if its a little choppy out/swell and they still safely break with out over straining anything.

all good info thx- i'm in qualicum so i'll talk to the guys at Pacific net too -already have the anchor and buoys just need some extra line and a large ring

WitW,

I got them at Trotac, or alternatively they use them for fasteners for ductwork, try a mechanical wholesaler like EMCO or maybe Andrew Sheret. More likely the former though as A.S. is more in line with plumbing.

How big are those industrial zap straps? I got mine at ocean marine supply in campbell river, they are about half an inch wide...right ones? And reason I was thinking about zap strapping at both ends of anchor is for safety...so no matter what happens the zap straps would break first, maybe lose an anchor but only an anchor, not the boat etc.

Steve do what I do with this set up if you want to go thru anchors do the strap thing but you dont need to!!!!!!! slap a shackle on it as then your pulling away from the rock etc if you ever do get stuck trick is to try and pull the same way as it set your GPS will show that for you. here is a pic for you of what I do and I get lodged in rock all the time broke both of them off today normally only break about 5 or 6 times a year not bad really, And yep use the big ones

Good luck Wolf

Attachments

• HALIBUT 2011 065.jpg
    HALIBUT 2011 065.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 493
  • HALIBUT 2011 064.jpg
    HALIBUT 2011 064.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 452
Does this help you out at all Dave???

wolf

This is a great idea. Does anyone use twine or small rope for this? Just not super keen on leaving plastic in the ocean every time I pull the anchor up.

I've used fishing line many times when I was too lazy to buy zaps or forget to bring them - you just got to make sure its going to break when you need it to.

This year we have not broken one zap strap yet, last year we broke two I recall. A little piece of plastic left in the ocean is pretty minute compared to the safety it provides you, theirs a lot worse things being dumped in our oceans compared to a tinny piece of plastic... They should make a biodegradable zap strap.. I guess twine would work also... just an idea, could do a test.. take a zap strap and test how many pounds of force is needed before it gives way.. then test how many wraps of twine you need to equal the breaking force of a large zap strap... can't see why not twine would work just as well..

Back