Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Lots of GOOD News-

Even though streams & rivers are at record lows flows for this time of year the staff at the Conuma Hatchery have already gathered the necessary brood stock to meet next years fry release. Way to go Mike Austin, Chris & the entire hatchery staff!!!!

Once we finally get a good amount of rain folks are keeping their fingers crossed that the balance of the thousands of fish waiting in the lower river will have a decent nature spawn.

Lots of fly fisher are enjoying (catch & release)on the loads of fish, both Chinook as well Coho that are stacked up at the bridge on the Canton River as well as in the Conuma lower pools.

Not many fishers left in the Nootka area some fishers who are still around are up in Esperanza catching nice Coho. These fish are NOT in the traditional location that they were in three weeks ago. They have moved in most are being caught From Salty to
Cee Pee Cee . By this time on a normal year there would have been lots of rain which would have moved the fish to the rivers.
But , not this year everything is late & that has changed a lot of where & how to catch these holding fish.

Another piece of GOOD NEWS - DFO Science is sticking to their abundance number on both Chinook & Coho for all of Area 25. That means when the these rains get here there will be lots of late arriving fish to fill the spawning grounds.

Make it a Great Day FOJ

HIGH All, been fishing Conuma river for 20 yrs ***Looks around*** and man have I seen her go down...and the Hatchery is her only saving grace and I Thank them for everything they do!!!

Going out this weekend with the boat to find what I have been missing in the river and with some coming rain ***Well*** hope what I have been missing is hanging around the estuary and not too dark.

I Feel so much for this river it hurts to see where she is today!!!

I was near the estuary a couple weeks ago. lots of chinooks hanging around but getting pretty dark. the seals are taking their share. should be getting better for coho's. weather was incredible but that isn't good for the river level....

GOOD NEWS--for the fish for all of Esperanza & Nootka (Area 25)
According to all the weather sites we have a MAJOR rain event on its way in.
Monday 25mm, Tuesday 35mm, Wednesday. 40+mm, Thursday 90+mm = 190mm
If it happens all will be well for the spawning fish!!!!

Sure hope so John - and not just for the Nootka fish. Most of the rivers and creeks in the Comox Valley are bone dry!

The Cowichan down the south end here could use a whack of rain too.Good news for the northern rivers for sure.Just hope we get a bit of the same down here as well!

GOOD NEWS--for the fish for all of Esperanza & Nootka (Area 25)
According to all the weather sites we have a MAJOR rain event on its way in.
Monday 25mm, Tuesday 35mm, Wednesday. 40+mm, Thursday 90+mm = 190mm
If it happens all will be well for the spawning fish!!!!

Yes that is great news!!!

Just got back, fished Thur to Sat did not touch a coho had one small blackmouth released another. The worst Sept fishing I have ever had up there. The water was warm, brown algae, lots of kelp and grass. Saw some bait around the light house. Talked to a local at the ramp who said the same thing. I guess there`s always next time.

Yup, was there for 5 days back on long weekend. One Coho, 3springs

Wasn't that happy this year with the amount of fish from nootka and I thought the avg fish weight was lower this year than the last few years.

Same here...lots of dark coho and springs going around in Circles waiting for the rain and the seals and sea lions having a hayday...caught a few lings which were put back to grow bigger. The staff at Moutcha Bay Resort were Great...Thanks for putting up with us and we will be back.

Thanks Bullwinkle!
It is raining buckets here. We are seeing lots of late Chinook, Coho & Chum entering the rivers & streams. That is very GOOD for nature spawning. The Volunteer & Conuma hatchery already have their eggs. Looking forward to a busy spring 2015. Lots of fishers are planning to fish April & early May for PRAWNS, Winter Springs & Hali that are inside the mouth of the inlet feeding on spawning herring. Commercial prawning usually starts the 2nd week of May. FOJ

where were you finding prawns? tahsis inlet?

Back