Nootka Sound 2014 Fishing Reports

Yes our fish creel surveyor is a GOOD resource. But most of our info. comes from participating in a variety of Volunteer committes & boards. Like SFAC Area 25/125 & 26/126, South Coast SFAB, SFAB Chinook/Coho working group, SFAB Albacore Tuna working group, Nootka Sound Water Shed Society, Tahsis Salmon Enhancement Society, Area 25 Harvest Committee. Area 25 Salmon Assessment Committee.
Most of the time much of the info. can not go public until it has past through Several interesting process & channels But we do try to get accurate info. out there as soon as possible with out harming the process.
I'm sure lots of participants on the forum are also deeply involved in the process from many angles. Saving our Fish/Fishery Is about being involved in the PROCESS!!

How long is the run from Cougar Creek to Ferrier Point.... Thinking of trying some new areas this year. Thanks

That depends on how good the water is & how fast you can go. It around 36 miles from Cougar, out to the lighthouse & then up to Ferrier. It's around
42 miles up the Tahsis, then out the Esperanza to Ferrier.

I have to believe the Tahsis route, although longer, may make for a nicer scenic and less bumpy ride.

Ok... Trying this again from my MAC
FISHERIES 2014.jpg
FISHERIES 2014-2.jpg
FISHERIES 2014-3.jpg
FISHERIES 2014-4.jpg

Thanks again John.. we wouldn't have these without your help....
Coachman.

Last edited by a moderator:
Would anyone like to comment why these maps are dated June 18 2014 and are not on the area 25/125 dfo site yet?
What's the word.............mindboggling

If you cannot provide a much simpler link to the real thing we must assume you have fabricated the date on these scans. they are not on the DFO's site as I write. so cough it up or delete these posts. Rules are not made or followed here. If they are the mod's are in for trouble

If you cannot provide a much simpler link to the real thing we must assume you have fabricated the date on these scans. they are not on the DFO's site as I write. so cough it up or delete these posts. Rules are not made or followed here. If they are the mod's are in for trouble

Coachman I don't know why you bother for these ignorant idiots. Thanks for the posts.

Ya. You cracked the case. The dates are fabricated. DFO will post the new maps closer to their effective date on july 15th.

Relax..

Thanks Coachman......and Fish on John

The maps are legit, sent out prior to agreeing to the new boundaries so that operators would know what the DFO was talking about. I'm sure they will be posted soon, as I have more faith in the Canadians fisheries office than those Washington folks. And, yes I'm from Washington!

Now can we get some fishing reports?

Yes thanks Coachman and Fish on John for your reports and putting the maps up. I'm counting, 19 more sleeps and we should be up there.

While your comic is Hilarious it is a bit UNFAIR. The same DFO folks responsible for getting out Area 25/125 Chinook maps & reg. changes also were responsible for getting out the maps & reg. changes for Coho for the entire South Coast WCVI. The Coho info. got processed in less than 48 hrs. after the Minister of Fisheries released their decision on allowable catch & by catch of Coho.
That allow fishers coast wide to get on with the new relaxed Coho retentions. Weather you agree with the Minister decision or not (which is NOT the point of this post) DFO did an amazing job in getting the Coho info out there for the long wkend. Coho new regs. were effective June 27 2014.
The new Area 25/125 Chinook regs come into effect on July 15th . YES this the government (always easy to poke fun at) BUT, these DFO folks are also people- with spouses, kids, dogs, cats & a life beyond Fisheries, believe it or not.Give them a little slack.
The maps will be up on their site soon & you already have the info.
I know its a bit risky making the above statement BUT we have been working with the South Coast DFO staff for years. We do not always agree with them But, working with them through the various processes is one of the many ways we can positively effect our Fisheries. JUST SAYING
Lets get on with fishing reports.
Ferrer Point has been RED HOT on every flood tide this week. Anchovies & Any kind of Glow hootchies are working well!!!

Thanks "Coach"-man!!!

Another GOOD day of catching. Ferrer Pt. Produced LOTS of nice sized Coho some Chinook, trolled up Halibut and a GREAT WHALE SHOW all day.
Beano Creek Kick out several nice 20+ Chinook.
Water is going to lay down again on Monday. Out to the highway for more action!!!

Thanks "Coach"-man!!!

Another GOOD day of catching. Ferrer Pt. Produced LOTS of nice sized Coho some Chinook, trolled up Halibut and a GREAT WHALE SHOW all day.
Beano Creek Kick out several nice 20+ Chinook.
Water is going to lay down again on Monday. Out to the highway for more action!!!
THANKS John,see you at the end of the month!!

Back