Bamfield Poett Nook 2014- 2015

Sound was slow this weekend, for all types fish.
Prawning was very good, as was crabbing.
Many whales around.

This morning my son had a nice spring on, around 10#, NW of Link Island, and a seal stuck its head out of the water with the salmon's tale in it's mouth. Bye bye spring!
We have seen this many times off Nanaimo, but my dad had never seen it happen - so I guess it was sorta cool for him? Actually he is talking about mounting RPGs on the boat now ;-)
The seal then followed us for over an hour so we packed up and ran for home.

Had the first charters of the year on the weekend. Tough fishing but managed some decent fish with Hali to 45 lbs and Chinook to 20.

Fellas
Just back from 4 days of burnin sum serious fuel , I dedicate this to the guys that say that we never have off days , this was a painfully slow outing , we only kept 6 springs to 14 lbs in 3 days fishin , released quite a few between 4-6lbs , almost all marked , im not gonna get into where we all fished , cause was pretty much everywhere , and if we weren’t there , friends were, SLOWWWWW…most boats outta the Nook did not have much success ..
the fish are definitely starting to raise in the water column , we had a few fish at 45- 60 feet , but most around the 100 foot level , areas that produced were , Swale , Turtle Head , Bamfield harbour , Sanford south,,,Whistlebuoy …. needle fish and spoons worked for us , spoons without flashers as well , kitchen sink and chrome live image in 4.0 ‘s for spoons …. trex and splatter needles worked well , 5.25in. rhys davis anchovies with no flashers also had success , put our last day in bottom fish , easy limits , couple of large Cabezon that were a pain in da azz ta clean , Hopper insists there dalish ? we will see..
Halibut seemed ta be pretty good for the guys that ventured out , 5-7 mile was decent for trolling em up outta the mud ,
All n all , a very slow trip for us , looks like Kelly had more success than us , nice fish !!
Hear you were in Jon’s boat ,seen you guys trollin the Harbour mouth once was all … seen the Mills boat out there , hope ya gave em $hit at the whistlebuoy Jerry 
Morgan giving Matt a lesson on Bonkin a 55lb flattie , nice work…
See ya soon

fd

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 967
Ducker, them Cabezons are great to eat....fresh is best for what I have found...great report...

Tons of American hatchery chinooks kicking around the Sound now. Last few days were great.

Yup...its was fun on your boat this weekend..... even the odd prawn and hali around...:)

Attachments

• IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1040.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 827
I understood that Lucky Lagers have never been successfully reproduced in a Hatchery. Something about the water I was told. Maybe there will be a scientific breakthrough some day. Until then, we will have to rely on Sasquatches to harvest them in their natural state.

Drewski

Just Back from a few days at the Nooke. Got to take the new boat out for the first time. Come by and say Hi anytime, Dock space 133, 2825 Kingfisher. Never really got into any good fishing however this trip was more of a set things up and figure things out kinda trip. Saturday we got a nice Hali at 7mile, headed over to south bank and then Sail rock and got zero. Fished yesterday at Swale and picked up a few small springs. :cool:

Back