Nanaimo - Spring / Summer 2014

Looks good Jeff keep posting..... I tried the other day here and I am jealous of your hauls. I should have taken a picture of the 6 prawns I got and shown you the difference the commercial fleet can do to an area when prawning is as good as it seems to be in area 17. It can be wipeout as fast as you post the pictures of them LOL :)

You get enough to freeze them and be done with prawning for the year.... What are you doing this weekend maybe I should come prawning with you. :) weather looks great.

Sunday trolling all day :p come may 1st it will be Commie set for as far as the eye can see, like it is every year out here. Just happy to get a few in the freezer for some coming guest's from Tumbler ridge and Alberta. as with my salmon I give at least 80 % of it away to friends.

I'm heading out after work today :). Going to test out the new fish finder and a couple of those nice blue TMX4 reels :cool:. Your a good salesman FD lol ;).

I'll be monitoring 88a.

Gary, clear out your inbox!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunday trolling all day :p come may 1st it will be Commie set for as far as the eye can see, like it is every year out here. Just happy to get a few in the freezer for some coming guest's from Tumbler ridge and Alberta. as with my salmon I give at least 80 % of it away to friends.

Commercial prawning opens may 9th FYI. Was down in Stuart yesterday if I had to guess I'd say there were about 80-100 floats between the Thetis ferry and tent and this was a weekday. I'm sure that has no effect on the prawn populations.....on another note, got a 11 pound red a couple nights ago out off the fingers. Pretty slow still but you might just get lucky and trip over one.

Trolled for 2 hours this afternoon. 3 undersized fish no keepers for us. One other boat out in the deep with us couldn't tell if they were on em or not.

Looks good Jeff keep posting..... I tried the other day here and I am jealous of your hauls. I should have taken a picture of the 6 prawns I got and shown you the difference the commercial fleet can do to an area when prawning is as good as it seems to be in area 17. It can be wipeout as fast as you post the pictures of them LOL :)

You get enough to freeze them and be done with prawning for the year.... What are you doing this weekend maybe I should come prawning with you. :) weather looks great.

seem to be migrating south in regards to your interest and opinion about locales south of Kitty, hey?

I was out last thursday fishing off the fingers, I got a 11lb red and a 15lb marble spring. The Water was awsome. I was going to head out to thrasher but I talked to a man at the dock just coming in from fishing and he had a nice spring inthe boat but had lost two right at the fingers. So I thought I would save some gas and valuable fishing time. Lol... green glow flasher and chovy @ 130ft on the other rod green flasher and cop car spoon and I tried a kitchen sink but no action on that gearView attachment 11280

Attachments

• 20140410_135021.jpg
    20140410_135021.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,044
Warming up the rods, polishing my balls, can't wait to start baiting. I will be out next weekend with 4 days off, i should get a nice day or 2 to fish my face off. :)

Looked pretty windy out there in the afternoon, not sure how many people made it out. Spent all day reassembling my kicker head, manifold and setting the valves.. still going right now:mad: hopefully have it done for tomorrow!

Well I pounded away all day today ended heading in to protected waters of ladysmith area marked lots of fish and bait all day but no luck ended up with 8 beauty crab hopefully tomorrow is the day boats refueled the bait is all ready I'll be on 88 tomorrow "just one more " cheers

Beautiful day out there,flat calm and hot. Caught a 21 and 14 lber and missed one other pin popper a couple miles off the fingers.
nanaimo017_zpse1e6fbf5.jpg

nanaimo021_zps32747ac3.jpg

Jeffywestcoast was out there trolling around
nanaimo019_zps88a4acfe.jpg

Marked fish all morning long
nanaimo018_zpsef2ac39b.jpg

nanaimo008_zps1db625a9.jpg

Haha.. Nice slabs Gary , one 14 inch shaker all day prawning was average :) great day though, Dunno maybe the fish don't like my glow balls :)

Beauty day far better then pounding all day yesterday gotta love the first sun burn of the year nice got a late start today since I couldn't get my butt outta bed haha but still managed to pick up a 8 and a 13 . The 13 being the wife's first salmon of the 14 season ,few shakers and quite a few grey cod but let me tell ya fishing with two kids 4 and 1 1/2 is far from relaxing hahaha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ugumuvur.jpg

Back