Building boats from Hourston glascraft molds

Definitely very excited to see this. Hourston's are always on the list, but the ceiling height is a big bummer. would love to see 6'6 height with no drop between inside and outside :)
I'll start saving up for a 20'!

I’ve been wondering when somebody was going to do this. With so much respect for the product and a proven hull makes for a much easier startup and sell.
However Hourston’s are known for their thick, heavy, and solid fiberglass hulls. With modern boat building techniques the hull could be much thinner and lighter requiring less horsepower but maybe not as solid as a ride. Will be interesting to watch the development

I’ve been wondering when somebody was going to do this. With so much respect for the product and a proven hull makes for a much easier startup and sell.
However Hourston’s are known for their thick, heavy, and solid fiberglass hulls. With modern boat building techniques the hull could be much thinner and lighter requiring less horsepower but maybe not as solid as a ride. Will be interesting to watch the development
I’m curious how heavy they’ll make them as well...

I like the Alaskan Bulkhead...open the windows and the hatch and let the breeze flow through...lock your valuables up at the end of the day and leave them in the boat. Also cozy warm in the winter and keeps critters from getting into the boat and making that nasty stinky mess of your interior.

The security admittedly is definitely a plus, although less of a concern for folks that don't moor their boats for long periods of time (most boaters I would argue). That sort of set up frankly is also nice if one uses the boat a lot during the winter for prawning or in the fall to go to remote hunting locations.

However, in the summer the ability to open up the entire back for maximum airflow, an open atmosphere between driver and people on the back deck, and quick access to the rods is ideal in my opinion, and eliminates the need for a second steering station out back (and the associated extra electronics which often accompany that) which a lot of Alaskan bulkhead style boats now seem to have.

On boats with a quality drop down curtain and a diesel heater I really haven't had a lot of problems with heat in cold fishing temps to be a problem though.

I like an open boat, but the one thing I really value in an Alaskan bulkhead is that when it's seriously rough you can control where the water goes better.

Not much more distracting than piloting a boat with a few inches of water around your ankles.

That said, mathematically I think the free surface problem of water on deck is actually worse if it's only on half the length, but it's twice as deep. That's one thing I don't mind about center step-down decks like hourstons and eagles...if you put a bilge pump in the step-down and the water is confined to the center, it gets a bit trapped and functions a little more like ballast until it's pumped out. Of course, if you're really pitching non-stop, it won't stay put. But side to side roll, it can actually hold it better than you'd think. If it's down low and centered like that it'll dampen the roll a bit or at least not make it worse, whereas if it's on a flat deck and won't leave, even a few inches is deadly.

Anyway to me the ideal setup is a deck that's a few inches above the water line, with big scuppers. But I don't mind a step down if it's done right.

I admit to having done a lot of dumb things in boats in bad weather and my concerns may not be... representative of the market at large.

My hourston has a self bailing deck and you step-down into the cuddy. Ive had this thing in some stupid places and even though its a soft top, I've never had any water hit me in the feet while running the boat. I figure if that happened I have bigger things to worry about.

I really appreciate not having a step up or down in this 26' hulls deck. I can trip over enough things all on my own.

My 17’ hourston gets compliments and people asking if I want to sell it everywhere I go. 6’6” headroom with the updated canvass and radar arch. Build this and they will sell! With a new 140 Suzuki it does 48 mph and cruises at 35 mph 3 gals/hr

8B34F69B-8F3A-48A9-BB2B-1C7011E57D67.jpeg

Here it is in the water. 25 gal bow tank makes it sit level when full of fuel. 250 mile range on a full tank ($100) if I don’t get too heavy on the throttle

Attachments

• 0748013A-3E12-415A-80B4-6C9C22189EC2.jpeg
    0748013A-3E12-415A-80B4-6C9C22189EC2.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 314
Last edited:
Here it is in the water. 25 gal bow tank makes it sit level when full of fuel. 250 mile range on a full tank ($100) if I don’t get too heavy on the throttle[/QUOTE
Where did you get your radar Arch? Looking fir something just like that for my 17’ hourston

Attachments

• 4657B2D2-57A1-4097-A4D5-62443AB6ED77.png
    4657B2D2-57A1-4097-A4D5-62443AB6ED77.png
    994.7 KB · Views: 157
Hi. We are working hard to get a website ready for early January and have our first 2 boats booked for April starts with several boats per month after that. We plan to have a basic online ordering process with the goal of keeping the cost down vs dealers and inventory etc. the sales will be factory direct with popular options offered to allow every buyer to build the right package for their use. The base package will allow for upgrades to power and a choice of outboard manufacturer. Other options will include colored hull, hard tops and canvas packages, electronics, etc.

Sorry for the delayed response. After nearly a year of trying to put a deal together in BC we have partnered with the guys at NMI in Bellingham to build our boats. You are correct about the state of the BC boat building industry.
I wonder how the search for labour to build these will go. We get requests from as far away as Nova Scotia for fibreglass guys. Probably some strong guys down in WA working for Northwest Marine Industry and then more on the east coast. Be great to have a strong BC fibreglass boat builder again.
yed response

Which size hulls are you focusing on? Do you have any pdf marketing material to share? Very interested in seeing the 26' optioned out with twins in the island runner and sedan format.

If
Sorry for the delayed response. After nearly a year of trying to put a deal together in BC we have partnered with the guys at NMI in Bellingham to build our boats. You are correct about the state of the BC boat building industry.

yed response
anyone has suggestions or feedback we are still developing the build plan. Boats will certainly be wood free with updated interiors and electronics. The plan is to have a great all purpose west coast platform offering value / seaworthiness and functionality. Not to say they won’t look great but we expect these boats to work hard. It could be fishing and crabbing, commuting or heading offshore. The boats will be built to perform. I want a 26’ with twins, a hardtop with big skylight and a nice overnight package.

Which size hulls are you focusing on? Do you have any pdf marketing material to share? Very interested in seeing the 26' optioned out with twins in the island runner and sedan format.[

It sounds like you and I want the same boat. The island runner was a beautiful boat with great lines but I think id have to have the hardtop to extend the season and get more use out of it. Talking to a buddy last week we thought a 26’ hardtop with twin 300s and a half tower would get out to tuna grounds. We will do updated 17/18/20/23/26. Working on what that option list should include. Enough to allow everyone to get the boat they want, but not having every boat as a full one off custom. We really want to provide value.

Back