6 month update on owning a new Silver Streak

Kinetic

I can't access my old thread so I'm starting a new one as I have updates.
Ordered a new 18ft. Silver Streak Race Rocks through SG Power at the end of August, after starting my search for an aluminum boat in March. We decided to upgrade from our 16ft Double Eagle as our family has grown.
We wanted a rugged utilitarian boat to fish 12 months of the year around Victoria and up the west coast.
We chose a hardtop model, 115hp Yamaha, suspension pedestals, dual batteries, dual wipers, Raymarine plotter, swing tongue trailer, etc.
I received some boat progress pictures this week.
Getting excited!

IMG_20201014_091826.jpg InkedIMG_20201014_091832_LI.jpg

Last edited:
the silver streak can only take 4 people same as your 16 footer. so not much of a capacity upgrade. but congrats on the new boat.

Congrats man! I remember when I was getting build update pics a couple years ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Silver Streak builds great boats! Congratulation on your new boat. I'm sure the research and decision making process was educational and fun at the same time. Well done!

The hull extension (pod) looks like it follows the bottom (flush with it),I've always thought that would be the best option because it extends the planing surface to make the boat ride like a longer boat.But if you look at most new builds the pod angles up from the transom.Anybody have the reasoning for the difference? Great looking boat and extremely well built from what I've been told.

Thanks @Admin for getting the thread back on track, and thanks everyone for the nice feedback.
I can appreciate that everyone has a different opinion on boats.
After owning glass boats for many years, we decided to go with a aluminum boat for many reasons.
We originally looked at many of the factory boats, Hewescraft, Duckworth, Weldcraft, Thunderjet, Kingfisher, before settling on the Silver Streak.
I like the aluminum floors, plain no fuss interior, the way you option the boats and supporting an island company.
I'll post more as I get updates.
Looking forward to halibut and winter spring fishing!

It looks like the transducer mount is on the port side of the main and between the kicker.
I was under the impression that the transducer mount should be to starboard of regular rotation propellers to avoid disturbed water with air mixed in.
I have a duoprop main with transducer to starboard and lose bottom when up on plane. I thought that was part of the issue.
Just wondering?

Beauty boat, I respect that you are going aluminum because it is utilitarian. Proper methodology.
Are you planning on painting the topsides? If so, I would recommend only painting above the top rub strake and leaving the rest bare. Goes with the utilitarian aesthetic.

I have the same hull and I'm looking to add trim tabs mostly to level the hull during running with three people, but also improve performance and ride.
I had an 18' k&c where trim tabs improved the ride tremendously.
The reason I'm telling you this is in hindsight I would have had extra brackets welded on to the transom ( under the motor bracket) on each side, so installing trim tabs down the road would be an easy bolt on installation where you would not need to drill into the transom.
Nice boat, huge step up from the 16' double eagle!
PM me if you have any questions!

The hull extension (pod) looks like it follows the bottom (flush with it),I've always thought that would be the best option because it extends the planing surface to make the boat ride like a longer boat.But if you look at most new builds the pod angles up from the transom.Anybody have the reasoning for the difference? Great looking boat and extremely well built from what I've been told.
Talking with builders it is basically some build it using full length pieces of aluminum the hull plus extended transom vs pieces of aluminum to build an extended transom and then weld that on to the hull. I think the SS way is way of one piece is better and gives you the feel of a 20+ boat.

Having fished extensively in 16 and 18 feet boats, the extended transom will likely make it feel inside like a 19+. The hard top is an awesome feature, throw the traps up there, rod holder, radar mount. 50 year boat...awesome investment for those who love 12 months a year fishing. Congratulations.

Hi and congratulations I have the same hull but with the carmanah package. Mine was the last build in 2017 and was sold as a 2018 model. I went from a 17 DE and that was a big upgrade in useable space inside and overall length with the pod added in. I really enjoy mine and feel very safe in it as I fish off Ucluelet most of the time in the summer. I also looked at the mainstream aluminum boats and the SS is built much more heavy duty than the others. A big plus is the aluminum floor instead of the vinyl covered wood deck like the others have . The only thing is that it’s only 7’2 wide witch is the same as my DE was, and the others are 8’ across, so you also have more deadrise. The sides are fairly straight up and down, whereas the others are at more of a angle, so you have more freeboard than the others, but don’t feel like you’re falling out like I did in my friends thunder jet. I’m sure you will love your new boat , and it will really hold it’s value for many years. Any questions just ask.

The small plate on the back of the motor bracket is for the zinc. The transducer bracket is on the transom behind the stand. I have the same HT but the Carmana, just a few added features. I'm sure you'll love it. Feel free to PM if you have any questions

The small plate on the back of the motor bracket is for the zinc. The transducer bracket is on the transom behind the stand. I have the same HT but the Carmana, just a few added features. I'm sure you'll love it. Feel free to PM if you have any questions

Bingo! That makes sense. Explains the hole in the bracket too.

Back