Yearly cost ?

kitman

Hi
I'm new and want to prepare buying a boat for family of 4, was looking at tahoe 16.5ft bowrider cause about $27,000 from pro bass shop, is it good for beginners? Approximately how much would it cause for maintenance and stuff annually? Was thinking just park at my back yard...or any recommendations for other boats? Just want to be safe and fun doing some fishing or hanging out on water.

If it were me I would not buy a sea spoon ( bowrider) for the 0cean look into a runabout or a walk around style. If your not set on brand new look into a used trophy or stryper something more sea worthy. I myself fell butt backwards into a 2452 ciera express it handles big water its a camper on the water and it has a decent fishing platform. Just one guys opinion..cheers

If it were me I would not buy a sea spoon ( bowrider) for the 0cean look into a runabout or a walk around style. If your not set on brand new look into a used trophy or stryper something more sea worthy. I myself fell butt backwards into a 2452 ciera express it handles big water its a camper on the water and it has a decent fishing platform. Just one guys opinion..cheers

X2

X3

But one more this to add is avoid inboard motors. Keep your maintenance cost down and increase reliability

Any of your friends have a boat?

I am a bit different as I run my sled basically in the Fraser.

$650 for a years insurance

$600 (roughly) a year for servicing

$100+ for fuel, each trip

Safety gear, to get started $1,000 plus, can be cheaper, but also can be a lot more

2 stroke oil, bait, rods , reels, terminal tackle etc., etc., etc....this stuff you don't want to keep track of as it might stop you from fishing!!

Any of your friends have a boat?

I am a bit different as I run my sled basically in the Fraser.

$650 for a years insurance

$600 (roughly) a year for servicing

$100+ for fuel, each trip

Safety gear, to get started $1,000 plus, can be cheaper, but also can be a lot more

2 stroke oil, bait, rods , reels, terminal tackle etc., etc., etc....this stuff you don't want to keep track of as it might stop you from fishing!!

None of my friends have boats...I just brought a 11ft dinghy with 5hp this summer....and already want a bigger one ...lol

None of my friends have boats...I just brought a 11ft dinghy with 5hp this summer....and already want a bigger one ...lol

Buying a boat was the best thing I ever did. My family absolutely loves it. Who ever says money dosent buy happiness, dosent own a boat.

I would look through older post on this forum for info on boats. It was the members here that gave me the knowledge to make the right boat choice. Look up the thread I started a few years ago when I was looking for a boat. I ended up getting something completely different than what I thought I wanted.

That used to be my moto.. the best boat is your friends boat!!!lol. I'm not sure I agree with the whole inboard outboard thing as even to replace my entire engine and drive is 10k less then replacing a larger outboard I guess its personal preference. Ive owned my boat for almost 10 years and with a diligent maintenance plan have kept my inboard humming right along not to mention its air ,fuel or fire if there is a problem

X3

But one more this to add is avoid inboard motors. Keep your maintenance cost down and increase reliability

I wouldn't avoid an inboard if it is maintained, and taken care of. Not sure I agree there. Yet to see the striking difference myself from owning both.

For a first boat I would get a boat that can do ocean and freshwater. Better resale anyway. Don't get locked into a bow rider. You have fair deal of budget to get a decent boat.

Maintenance and costs that depends on age motors etc. Between 2k-6k would be rough guess. Also budget at least 1k for safety stuff when you purchase.

Oh one word of advice if you can go a foot bigger like a 17ft double eagle etc. It will be better for your size of family. 16ft tend to be a bit small. Fine for a few people.

Last edited:
Where are you planning to go boating, and what type of fishing?

The where question is going to dictate the type/size of boat, and also to some degree the annual maintenance required.

Small bowriders are great for family use on calmer waters (like small to medium lakes, and protected inlets on the ocean). If you're planning to fish around Vancouver at the usual spots (Sandheads, Thrasher, Straight of Georgia hump, etc) then a small bowrider probably isn't the best choice...these boats are vulnerable to taking on water via the open bow. Once the boat is loaded up with water it is slow to drain because you're relying only on the bilge pump. This can become a very dangerous situation.

The fishing question is also going to dictate the type/size of boat.

Anchoring on a shoal and casting for trout is going to be very different to trolling for salmon with downriggers.

My advice for an all-around boat for the Vancouver area would be a used Campion 542 or similar. You can do family activities at the lake and also go in the ocean.

I was in your situation a few years ago. My first boat was a beater I bought for $1200 , but it couldn't go out into the open ocean and was too small for a family of 4. When it came time to upgrade I bought a used Campion 542. It really is a very good all around boat for a family. I use it to fish on the ocean in Vancouver, but I have also towed it to Osoyoos and the Shuswap to go tubing with the family. I have even gone to Nootka Sound a couple of times and gone out to West Coast of Vancouver Island with it. It is just small enough that I store it in my garage year round but big enough to go out to open waters.

I was in your situation a few years ago. My first boat was a beater I bought for $1200 , but it couldn't go out into the open ocean and was too small for a family of 4. When it came time to upgrade I bought a used Campion 542. It really is a very good all around boat for a family. I use it to fish on the ocean in Vancouver, but I have also towed it to Osoyoos and the Shuswap to go tubing with the family. I have even gone to Nootka Sound a couple of times and gone out to West Coast of Vancouver Island with it. It is just small enough that I store it in my garage year round but big enough to go out to open waters.

How much would champion 542 cost?

This one is listed at $28,500.

Let somebody else take the depreciation hit on a new boat! A new one would be $50,000+ Campion has renamed the boat the EX18. Other guys are more knowledgable that me on this particular boat and can hopefully weigh in

I love it when guys say let someone else take the depreciation, after buying many 'GOOD'I swear all maintenance done,
boats I decided my time on the water was important to me, not figuring out the mystery wires or what that tick or rattle is and pulled the trigger on a new boat, let me say best thing I have done! I love being first guy to put in the mystery wires!! Haha The 'Cohovid' has definitely lived up to her name!!

First boat I ever owned was a 2007 Maxum 1800. I think I'm glad I bought it new at that time because I had no knowledge of anything boating and it was one less thing to worry about. I paid 40k for it and sold it for 20k 7 years later in mint condition and an easy sell. My current boat I just couldn't afford new. I had to buy it used to be able to afford this size of a boat.

The maxum on a trailer was about 3k a year in costs (insurance, winter storage, maintenence)

The Commander has been about 12k per year for moorage insurance and standard maintenance. But when something breaks, my god $$$$

Oh I should add that if you sell the brand new boat in less than 3 years then YES you are taking a huge unnecessary hit.

Last edited:
Back