Boat Trailer Preventative Maintenance

Laxputs

If you're storing your boat in a coastal environment, you guys do anything to the mental components of the trailer: tongue jack, hitch, winch, etc? Spray with lithium grease and cover with a garbage bag? Thanks.

You need to cover it to protect the leaf springs i usually hose it off every time i use it. I grease it up after every launch other than that they will be fine.

Fix whats broke (old trailer)...haha , One tip I could give you is loosen each lug nut once in awhile, spray any lubricant and retighten. Save you a big headache when you have to take a wheel off and its rusted on. Same with hitch lock.
Jack up wheels and spin, check for grinding. If you don’t do your own brakes/seals you should learn. Will save you a boat load of money and give you satisfaction its done right.

Leaf springs on every truck I have ever owned don't get covered and they seem to do ok

I keep it lubed, hose off after each use, check the bearings and brakes each spring, cover the tongue and winch in a plastic garbage bag when storing over winter. Replace broken and worn parts when needed.

Put the wiring harness in a plastic bag and spray the inside of the bag with WD 40, and tie wrap it closed I park it on grass with boards under the tyres and tongue jack.

I had mine up on jack stands over the winter. Anti-theft plus it takes some pressure off the wheel/axel components. So I hear.

The springs on a vehicle are already covered and get rinsed from road salt when driving and raining. then in the winter your trailer will be wet and rotting away. So a tarp or enclosure just to keep it bone dry and the springs dry.

The springs on a vehicle are already covered and get rinsed from road salt when driving and raining. then in the winter your trailer will be wet and rotting away. So a tarp or enclosure just to keep it bone dry and the springs dry.
So rain water is fine for truck springs but will rot a trailer spring? Just wondering, never heard that perspective before

So rain water is fine for truck springs but will rot a trailer spring? Just wondering, never heard that perspective before
Truck springs are covered by the body leave a trailer out 8-10 months or a year. packed with snow and constant rain and see how long the trailer will last.

My boat trailer is 20 years old...... I have owned it for 10.... I like my odds, but I also use my boat year round. Change the bearings when they need changing, grease them every spring. Done. No "rot" . Some surface corrosion, like most things dipped in salt water but that all folks.

Back