Gauges / Hours - Yamaha T9.9

Baxter

I can not seem to find anything discussing this, not in the owners manual, not online, nowhere. I think I am out of luck, but asking here just in case.

I have a 2019 T9.9 XPHB.

I have been keeping track of hours in a spreadsheet to know when it needs servicing. For now I have also just ordered a cheap $10 inductive hour meter from Amazon that I will install when it arrives, (today hopefully!)

But I was hoping to get a proper gauge or way to read the total hours on the engine. AFAIK, it does not support NMEA2k, so that is out. Thought I could get a nice looking Yamaha gauge and just install it at the back of the boat near the kicker to show RPM / Total Hours. But from what I can find this does not seem possible.

Anyone have any luck doing such a thing?

Also, is there a way to read total hours without having to take motor to the dealer? Can one buy a reader and simply DIY like you can for a car?

Tracking the hours manually works, but would like a more elegant and accurate solution if one exists! :)

I just keep a manual log book like you. Fuel consumption and maintenance tracking. Nice to see how many days out each year as well. Have winterize in Vernon so fogging, gear oil, and engine oil changes at seasons end regardless.

Even with an hour meter I’d still keep the manual log.

I just keep a manual log book like you. Fuel consumption and maintenance tracking. Nice to see how many days out each year as well. Have winterize in Vernon so fogging, gear oil, and engine oil changes at seasons end regardless.

Even with an hour meter I’d still keep the manual log.

Ya, I will still keep the log for sure, especially with just the cheap meter as I have heard they are not super reliable, but nice to help with accuracy. With the main, being able to see stats on the lowrance and gauges makes the log not as necessary, but without the log, the kicker hours would be quickly forgotten!

I think I am likely just going to be able to do what I am doing, and that's fine.

I can not seem to find anything discussing this, not in the owners manual, not online, nowhere. I think I am out of luck, but asking here just in case.

I have a 2019 T9.9 XPHB.

I have been keeping track of hours in a spreadsheet to know when it needs servicing. For now I have also just ordered a cheap $10 inductive hour meter from Amazon that I will install when it arrives, (today hopefully!)

But I was hoping to get a proper gauge or way to read the total hours on the engine. AFAIK, it does not support NMEA2k, so that is out. Thought I could get a nice looking Yamaha gauge and just install it at the back of the boat near the kicker to show RPM / Total Hours. But from what I can find this does not seem possible.

Anyone have any luck doing such a thing?

Also, is there a way to read total hours without having to take motor to the dealer? Can one buy a reader and simply DIY like you can for a car?

Tracking the hours manually works, but would like a more elegant and accurate solution if one exists! :)

Sundance - your entire post was just a quote... was there a message that was meant to go with it?

I bought a cheap hourmeter off Amazon that stuck onto the plastic under the 9.9 cowling with a wire that wrapped around the spark plug lead.Worked great.

Can U guys post link I need one as well for new 9.9 hp
so many options out there, I went with the one below, dealer had it and motor was new so it just worked out, cheaper ones available on line.

Attachments

• Yamaha hour meter.JPG
    Yamaha hour meter.JPG
    141.9 KB · Views: 41
My cheap meter for $14 on Amazon arrived Friday. Took about 20 min to install, mostly as it was awkward as F to wrap the wire in the tight area on the motor, but otherwise a simple enough task. Went out on Saturday and it appears to have accurately tracked the kicker hours.

Back