DFO 2020 Halibut Fishery Announcement & Regs

I let go SO Many nice Halibut this year... Grrr

Don't lose sight of the fact that the regulations were evaluated and set in February via Condition of License prior to Covid impacts becoming widely understood. Remember, Canada closed its borders on March 21...this Covid situation evolved very quickly and when decisions were being made regarding our Halibut fishery none of this stuff was really on the radar. Once our regulations are defined in the CoL, those cannot be changed as they are printed onto your license, which came into effect April 1. Remember that Covid timeline...borders close March 21, fishing licenses and regs must be available prior to April 1. Ergo, no time to anticipate and then amend regulations. Let's be real here, this Covid thing tossed a huge curve ball everyone's way. Totally uncharted territory. You might suggest DFO amends the CoL in the Licenses, but its not that simple. Amending would be impractical because each licence would need to be re-sent to every license holder with the amended version...not to mention what do you do about somehow having catch records copied onto the new licence.

The only thing that can be varied is the pre-set daily possession limits, which were amended in August once we had enough data to clearly demonstrate the underage trend, to allow 2 fish under 90 cm to be retained in one single day trip.

We are seeking approval from the IPHC to allow a Covid related carry-over. Those meetings are to be held this week. They have international implications as anyone can imagine. Have to wait to see what the IPHC determines. Fingers and toes crossed. Same also for Commercial sector. Low demand and poor prices for catch. Not a good year for anyone.

Also the Charlotte lodges closing was a MAJOR hit, and no Americans coming over to the banks fishing in Canadian waters (shouldnt be anyways ) ...Totally agree with Searun no one could have predicted this year. ... I wish we could have a redo please.. LOL

I’m surprised so much Of our TAC is assumed to be taken by American/ Foreign visitors? It would be interesting to see if it could quantified as to what portion is normally taken by these guests. I get lodge visits were down and likely will be next year as well. I assume Canadian visitors might have been down as well, but to what extent? Certainly an eye opener.

I’m surprised so much Of our TAC is assumed to be taken by American/ Foreign visitors? It would be interesting to see if it could quantified as to what portion is normally taken by these guests. I get lodge visits were down and likely will be next year as well. I assume Canadian visitors might have been down as well, but to what extent? Certainly an eye opener.
You only have to look at the past % numbers in july an Aug months as to see where the TAC goes (normally)

Don't lose sight of the fact that the regulations were evaluated and set in February via Condition of License prior to Covid impacts becoming widely understood. Remember, Canada closed its borders on March 21...this Covid situation evolved very quickly and when decisions were being made regarding our Halibut fishery none of this stuff was really on the radar. .

You only have to look at the past % numbers in july an Aug months as to see where the TAC goes (normally)

And there ya go! A couple statements that show pretty clearly just for whom and what non vested Canadian sport fishers (the true recreational fishers) have been taking it up the butt to serve.

I realized that was when the bulk of the TAC was taken. I just was unaware of what a large percentage was taken by non Canadian fishers.

I realized that was when the bulk of the TAC was taken. I just was unaware of what a large percentage was taken by non Canadian fishers.

And there ya go! A couple statements that show pretty clearly just for whom and what non vested Canadian sport fishers (the true recreational fishers) have been taking it up the butt to serve.
No I didnt say that but alot goes to Canadian and people that come to BC to fish have every right as your buying a federal lic. its our "Canadian right " in all of Canada not just the BC residents.

As for the Americans we all know they have been coming here for years and years hell some even guide out of certain spots we all now it and nothing has been , only thing DFO has done anyone wanting to fish have to go to a vendor in Canada to get a fishing lic ,,, I brought Up many many years ago the only way US should be able to fish here was to hire a guide or make it so they pay WAY more then what they do now so that money could be use to support programs in fisheries, They are not allowed to hunt here without a guide I said same rules really create more jobs for us here at home... guess what got shot down on that....

No I didnt say that but alot goes to Canadian and people that come to BC to fish have every right as your buying a federal lic. its our "Canadian right " in all of Canada not just the BC residents.

As for the Americans we all know they have been coming here for years and years hell some even guide out of certain spots we all now it and nothing has been , only thing DFO has done anyone wanting to fish have to go to a vendor in Canada to get a fishing lic ,,, I brought Up many many years ago the only way US should be able to fish here was to hire a guide or make it so they pay WAY more then what they do now so that money could be use to support programs in fisheries, They are not allowed to hunt here without a guide I said same rules really create more jobs for us here at home... guess what got shot down on that....
Maybe Foreign fishers should have to buy quota? I don’t think guys going to a luxury lodge would be deterred much by the cost of hiring a guide. If they bought quota they would not even impact Canadian public fishers, because they’d be using commercial quota.

We are seeking approval from the IPHC to allow a Covid related carry-over.

why should the IPHC allow carry over when the contracting party ie Canada refused to increase limits to catch more quota this season.

seems like a contracting party issue not an IPHC one.

If one party does not catch all of its quota then That should be reflected on the IPHC biomas survery in the following year allowing greater quota in the following year.

Dfo could easily give the recs a higher percent of the quota next year to cover our under this year.

Here hoping the IPHC feels sorry for the bc recs but I doubt it. It’s a dfo issue

Back