Is There Work in Comox?

Rain City

Crew Member
So my friend and lead hand on site has decided to leave the city for good in search of a house to own. He's been convinced that Comox is the bee's knees. What's it like out there for construction jobs? Do many companies pay $40+ per hour for a carpenter? If he's commuting to see family a few times a month is he really saving any money? Him and his wife both have lots of family in Vancouver that love to see their two little ones. I have to admit I'd love the slower pace as well but just too much to walk away from here.

No experience in comox, but being in construction you definitely pigeon hole yourself having to be close to a big city...........if you want full time work and have good wages. Thats why I'm encouraging my children to get careers that are transferable. Most pay the same and you can have a more cash positive life living away from a big city.

No experience in comox, but being in construction you definitely pigeon hole yourself having to be close to a big city...........if you want full time work and have good wages. Thats why I'm encouraging my children to get careers that are transferable. Most pay the same and you can have a more cash positive life living away from a big city.
I agree 100%. I wish I would have chosen a career I could do remotely. Live anywhere you want.

I mean, if you sell your business and property here for the right amount, you'll be able to live comfortably in Comox with a chicken income and the odd renovation job.
I'd do it in a heartbeat. My wife wouldn't leave all the family though.

I wouldn't move to comox-been there and the area for the last 50 years off and on. You're forced to fish too much and it's full of people from the lower mainland bitchin about lack of service like rapid transit and large art galleries!! Got to take a ferry for moose hunting too!! Lots of downsides and besides it's full!! LOL

If he has been a foreman or a supt. on jobs, then he would do well for coin. Not sure what they pay per hr. but living on the island here is not as expensive so a little less of an hourly rate would work out better in the long run.

Just read the jobs ads for the Comox Valley - lots of work for carpenters. Maybe not $40 but lower c.o.l. and better quality of life.

I'm a carpenter in the Comox Valley
There is tons of work around right now but wages are lower then in the city most guys are earning around 30 an hr.

The other thing to think about... how much do you get paid to commute when working in the city?
If he is donating a few hours a day, it starts to chip away at the $40 rate.

I need a lead carpenter in Penticton right now. 38/hr and we have extended medical package. Salmon fishing only 45 minutes away in Osoyoos (2 weeks a year) but he will save money by not buying any rainwear for the rest of his career.

I wouldn't move to comox-been there and the area for the last 50 years off and on. You're forced to fish too much and it's full of people from the lower mainland bitchin about lack of service like rapid transit and large art galleries!! Got to take a ferry for moose hunting too!! Lots of downsides and besides it's full!! LOL
What do you mean forced to fish too much? Sounds like a fun problem to have...

Back