2020 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Planning a day to play tomorrow (Friday). Looks calm and sunny. Freezer has fish in it so there is no pressure.... where would you go if you had a day to just have fun with your son and the fishes? In the canal with the crowd for salmon? Amongst the nooks and crannies in the sound for ling? Offshore to Rat's Nose because the ocean is big and awesome and maybe get some hali? Will report back on what we do but would be interested to hear what you would do on a sunny no-pressure fishing day.
My grandkids love the action of bottom fishing and holding a rod in there hands

Lings in the sound.. if you got light gear throw some spoons by the kelp for coho.. stay away from the crowds.. bring a BBQ and stop in Robbers for a BBQ on the boat.. main thing is no rush..no pressure all about the kids having fun.. if they want to throw the most ridiculous lure on let them. My kids love choosing.. makes it fun for them.

Planning a day to play tomorrow (Friday). Looks calm and sunny. Freezer has fish in it so there is no pressure.... where would you go if you had a day to just have fun with your son and the fishes? In the canal with the crowd for salmon? Amongst the nooks and crannies in the sound for ling? Offshore to Rat's Nose because the ocean is big and awesome and maybe get some hali? Will report back on what we do but would be interested to hear what you would do on a sunny no-pressure fishing day.

good question.

For me, I’d head to Kirby or out into the mid-islands within the Sound and try for some big salmon for an hour or two. Would then move onto a beach out there for some exploring and picnic, then onto some of the jigging holes to keep everyone interested and pulling something fun up.

enjoy!

Better late then never!

Went out to ukee last Friday morning. Ran off shore to fish Hali but could only find one at 84cm. Spent the afternoon at wya with no love. Saturday morning she was blowing hard off shore so we headed to harbour entrance. Picked up a couple nice coho and a couple smaller springs that we put in the box. Lost something huge when I looked over and the rod was pounding hard and in the water! Grabbed the rod out of the holder but there was nothing there and my teaser head was gone... Sunday morning we went back to harbour entrance but the fish must have moved on because we didn’t even get a single bite. Moved over to diplock and the same thing there. Shaker mania out there but it kept my kid entertained. We ran a ultra light spinning rod with a slip weight in the prop wash and had non stop action!

I guess that wraps up my summer on the west coast. It was a very spotty year for me everywhere I went. Hardy, nootka, bamfield and ukee. We brought home fish every trip but I just couldn’t get into any solid bites. You know the ones where you go to bed and all you can see is the rod pounding! Maybe that’s just me...

All action was on chovies and hoochies at different depths ever time.

Edit- forgot to mention the humpback that came up 20’ from the boat with its mouth fully open. About half it’s body came out of the water and then he slipped back in! Was pretty awesome and everyone was on the back deck at the time to check it out.

Last edited:
Like my son and I like to do is just get out there and roam the ocean. We like to start at effingham. Then maybe to sail rock . Then head off shore and see what happens . Burn some fuel up and have a great time just being out on the water with my son. Any ways have a great weekend and good luck. :) We’re out there the weekend after the long weekend.

Like my son and I like to do is just get out there and roam the ocean. We like to start at effingham. Then maybe to sail rock . Then head off shore and see what happens . Burn some fuel up and have a great time just being out on the water with my son. Any ways have a great weekend and good luck. :) We’re out there the weekend after the long weekend.

Are there still hali about at Rat’s Nose? Or can they be had closer in?

Heading out shortly and plan to fish Saturday through Monday. Will launch out of ucluelet. Any suggestions for where to look for springs and coho would be greatly appreciated. I always struggle to find them later in the season.

Heading out shortly and plan to fish Saturday through Monday. Will launch out of ucluelet. Any suggestions for where to look for springs and coho would be greatly appreciated. I always struggle to find them later in the season.
The eagles nest

Might be a bit of a run from Ukee, but we had success at Pill Point last weekend. 50 feet on anchovy, purple haze teaser head.

We fished Bamfield last week Monday to Thursday. It was slow. Short time at the Wall for one coho and then the majority of the time at Gibraltor and Swale Rock where we picked up the rest of our fish. Fished with three other boats about 11 hours each day. 4 fish was the most out boats were able to land in one day. Some boats 1 or none. Largest was a 20 and some decent sized coho. Up high 37-45 feet on DR. Tried Pill and China Creek Thursday late morning with not a sniff. Heard Wya Point was producing at Ukee but didn’t venture that far.

what did you end up doing?

i fished solo for derby weekend (no ticket), looking for my personal goal of landing a solo tyee, last year was a tryee at 29.5 lbs..
ended up with four in the 25lb range over sat sunday. fished beale and dragged the sand in tapaltos. a friend was hitting fish the day before with a 602, so i figured run medium herring and large anchovies.. the sunday was a blast, played 9 , lost 3, released 4 in the low twenties and boxed 2 that where 25 each.. betsy gold flasher, gold head. purple gold flasher with a chartruse herring holder. TUNA TIME!!

Back