Single hook anchovy rig

23Hourston

Can someone show me how they ring up a single with an anchovy that is still somewhat adjustable for roll

Just an octopus hook snell knot or egg loop knot. If the hook is too big and the bait is small the eye will hit the back edge of the holder and that makes it tricky to adjust. Stick the hook all the way through the bait. Sometimes I stick it through from the far side. I run a trailing hook. Are you fishing in a special rules zone? One treble works too.
Some rig their heads with wire. Others use a series of toothpicks to help the roll.

Yes special rule zone single barbless hook maximum size 15 mm from point to shank non-retention.
May I ask where that zone is? Never heard of this before

What about running a jughead with a chovie like this

bait-rig-650x255-.jpg

FD934C6C-F9E9-4E85-87CF-EC9678DFF75B.jpeg This is what I’ve come up with so far I’m open to critiques
I was also thinking maybe an elastic band to hold the hook against the body.. seems kind a lame tho

Last edited:
Go over the back with the hook behind the dorsal fin and then put the hook through that side coming out on the side you started from. That way
when you tighten the line it will put a bend in the bait in the correct direction without tearing the bait. Or a wire on the head that you bend to get your preferred bend and put the hook wherever you want. I fished with a guy who caught a lot of fish and just let the hook trail a little behind the bait free

20200819_183159_resized.jpg

Here's what I roll using herring aides and jugheads. I'm lazy so I use this for hoochies too. It works perfectly for springs as they bite hard. If targeting coho I may add a 2nd hook...sometimes, due to the lazy part.

So with this I don't even set the hook into the meat, I just tow it along side. Bait never slips, just hold it in with the pin. Springs are almost always hooked in the upper jaw. Makes it super easy to release juveniles and by catch...you know when it's a spring and simply keep the tension on you're good to go.

Back