What to expect in Egmont?

RevyFisher

Just booked a family vacation 1st week of August at Back Eddy Resort & Marina as waterfront cabins/places are getting hard to come buy right now and family wanted to visit the sunshine as we've never been.

Bringing the boat for "sightseeing" and hoping there's some fishing, crabbing or prawning to be done. I don't see any fishing report sections for that area on this forum so hoping there's something to chase there. Anyone have any experience in that area?

Last edited:
Depends on how far up Jervis you wan to go to sightsee. Most of the coastline of Jervis is pretty steep but there are some bays where you might be able to crab. Check out any with creeks/rivers running into them. You could try Bear Bay or the top of the inlet. You can catch bottom fish there without too much effort. Salmon is more of a timing thing & not as plentiful as in the past...can't hurt to try though.

For the last couple of years salmon fishing has been very good in July at the opening to the inlet. Just troll back and forth across the opening. Check out Goliath bay for bottom fishing. And that’s it for my secrets

Great to know there's fish to be had and wasn't looking for any secret spots and thank you so much at least I have some hope and a place to start!

You'll be right close to the Skookumchuck rapids. Definitely print off a tide/Current chart and keep it in the boat. Anything over an 8ish knot ebb it turns into a pretty dangerous place. Pretty key to know the slack times if you happen to go venturing that way.

Just had a look and it will be ripping that week 12knot ebbs and 14 knot floods so it would be something to keep in mind.

You'll be right close to the Skookumchuck rapids. Definitely print off a tide/Current chart and keep it in the boat. Anything over an 8ish knot ebb it turns into a pretty dangerous place. Pretty key to know the slack times if you happen to go venturing that way.

Just had a look and it will be ripping that week 12knot ebbs and 14 knot floods so it would be something to keep in mind.

That's if I was to try and go through the rapids or the stretch that the marina sits on? I noted on their website and when booking that it can be strong currents in the marina area but hoping there's at least one direction I can head that it wouldn't be so bad?!

Princess Louisa is amazing, an absolute must-see. I’ve always loved Egmont. Be careful approaching the dock at Back Eddy, the current absolutely rips through there.

Skookum burger at the Back Eddy Pub! Bring a friend they’re huge!

That's if I was to try and go through the rapids or the stretch that the marina sits on? I noted on their website and when booking that it can be strong currents in the marina area but hoping there's at least one direction I can head that it wouldn't be so bad?!
Yeah that's only if you were to head to Narrows inlet/Salmon inlet way but currents will be strong at the marina. Heading down Jervis way would be the way to go.

The way to see the rapids at the Skookum Chuck narrows is to walk in from the park, its a good trail and worth the walk at the right tide change. The run up Jervis Inlet is great sightseeing, I reminds me of what a Norwegian Fiord would look like. If you go up there pack plenty of gas as it's about 40 miles up to the top end. Good bear watching along the shore where creeks and rivers enter the Inlet, Bears of both varieties, I'v seen Grizzlies up there. And of course there is always the creatures at Egmont, Egmunsters.

Yes the hike to the rapids is outstanding. Also a boat trip to Harmony falls. Great place to swim and good bottom fishing. Watch the RCA’s tho.

Second a trip to Princess Louisa, one of the most special places in Canada. If it were accessible by road it would be as heavily visited as Lake Louise or the CN Tower. If you get fair to good water conditions it's less than a two hour run to Malibu. Those rapids aren't as serious as Skookumchuck and a typical sport fishing boat can handle most conditions whereas the big cruising boats should still wait for slackish tides. If the family can handle weather, it's not a bad thing to go when it's raining as the waterfalls are amazing, dozens of them appear. Of more concern is the wind, Jervis is susceptible to the outflow winds that push out of the interior when a summer high pressure settles in. Early morning depart usually sees clear water but it often blows up around noon. The waters of the fjord are deep right to the shore so there are no shoals to make the chop worse, but you'll still have to slow down most of the way and it can be a slow grind.

After swimming on Tuesday afternoon decided to give fishing a try and quickly jigged up a 14 lbs ling in 100' of water. Wednesday went out with high hopes and spent more time fishing and less swimming and only came up with a large Copper fish. Haven't found the tides/current bad coming and going from Back Eddy resort. Water and weather has been great until today. Hopefully we can find another ling or two as the first one will be eaten before we even leave. lol

Where did you fish? I was just past Egmont point from there into the bay, which has an awesome beach for checking out, east anchor or beach the boat, and it's 100% happening in there for springs. I was there last Friday, tight to shore from the point into the bay.

Where did you fish? I was just past Egmont point from there into the bay, which has an awesome beach for checking out, east anchor or beach the boat, and it's 100% happening in there for springs. I was there last Friday, tight to shore from the point into the bay.[/QUOTE

Thanks ab1752. We swam in that bay for 2 days and ran across to Goliath Bay for Ling and Rockfish. Had luck the first day with only an hour of fishing and second day nothing but smaller rockfish. The serious fishing now begins as the family vacation stuff is done and time to hopefully catch some fish to take home. Will definitely give that stretch a try for salmon. It's the same recommendation the marina guys are giving. Really hoping to get another big ling or two to take home as that's my fav but I'll be happy with either.

Hey if your still up there try trolling right off egmont Pt. Get close to bottom and you can pick up Lings and maybe a spring if you're lucky. Careful with cannonballs tho :eek: couple big pinnacles

Hey if your still up there try trolling right off egmont Pt. Get close to bottom and you can pick up Lings and maybe a spring if you're lucky. Careful with cannonballs tho :eek: couple big pinnacles

Will give it a try Saturday as its our last day here so planning a 5 am fish then pick up family mid morning to go check out Chatterbox Falls for the day. Might have to drop the line in while down there. lol

Back