trolling too fast

brad gustafson

Good morning Wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to slow trolling speed for my 42 ft X Fish boat.
im running a Scotty electric downrigger 15 lbs ball.
D333 Cat

Less than $4 each buy two make your own rope handle and hang one off each side of the boat doesn't need to be behind to slow you down.

hth

the-home-depot-paint-buckets-lids-05glhd2-64_1000.jpg

Not so sure that a 5 gallon bucket or two is going to make much difference to the speed of a 42ft. If you can get down to 4mph that's probably slow enough to catch fish. Blow back on your riggers will be the problem. 20lb ball will help, also fish gear that works better at higher speeds like conventional (not tubby) plugs, hoochies etc.

Why don't you tell us how slow you can go?

I used to tow two 32” diam. sea anchors/drift socks/drogues when fishing sockeye from my 42’ troller. One from each pole. Didn’t need them for Chinook or coho. Also, towing six lines instead of two downriggers would help to slow The boat down. My target speed over ground used to be 2.4 kn for Chinook and 2.7 kn for coho. Target speed for sockeye was much slower due to fleet congestion...

I used to tow two 32” diam. sea anchors/drift socks/drogues when fishing sockeye from my 42’ troller. One from each pole. Didn’t need them for Chinook or coho. Also, towing six lines instead of two downriggers would help to slow The boat down. My target speed over ground used to be 2.4 kn for Chinook and 2.7 kn for coho. Target speed for sockeye was much slower due to fleet congestion...

This here is the ticket, we use them for Walleye fishing often, and they store away easy.

Hi , I've used one of those drift socks on my friends 42' trawler. It got us slowed down just enough for fishing flashers. Bit of a pain in the butt to he honest .Need 5o be quite far back to "catch and open " , bit of interference on turns with rigger lines , etc. . I made a bridle up thru scuppers to get it centered . Did this to see if I could get the boat slowed down enough for sockeye . He'll be catching the fast ones... lol. I'd just fish spoons and plugs if I were fishing coho and springs. More fun without the flasher too. If you plan on fishing alot off the big boat, a 25hp kicker like mentioned above would be the ticket.

Back