2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished S bowen this morning. Released 2 wild ho's in the first 20 min, was a bit rufffff, pulled the plug and went for a cruise up in How sound.

Last edited:
Sept 1 can’t come fast enough. Can you imagine landing a nice 22 lb Spring this last week in this awesome weather off the QA? We can only hope for a repeat of last years awesome Sept/Oct fishing.

Started at Pink apartments around 9:30 put an hour in with no results and nothing on the horizon. Moved to Pt Atkinson just before low slack. Saw a couple of nets out - like 2. Then the wind came up - called it a day. Nada for me.

Sandheads, t10,north arm, bell, south Bowen. West van

all closed till sep 1 for chinook

There basically is no van chinook fishery left

No love from the ho's today off south Bowen, or Gower for me. But I'm curious to y every yacht has to plow up the coast 200ft from shore,

Gents, I’m looking for some info. Gonna be in North Van Sept long weekend and was wondering where the best place to launch a boat would be? Going to a small wedding and since I can’t stand the bride and groom I’ve convinced the wife I’m bringing my boat. I’ve always been a Nootka guy so I’m not very familiar with the Van waters. I see there’s a few launches at the mouth of the Fraser so I’m thinking that the typical launch area. I’m guessing these launches in the river would be fresh water and some where just outside of the main arm it would switch to salt water.

Cates Park if you're in north van. Its 20 bucks and includes parking for the day. The ramp is easily accessible at all tides.

Fished off west van today from 3 to 5. One bite but didnt land it. Very slow though I saw one other boat net something. Still cant figure out where to fish off West Van.

Moved to south Bowen and starting an hour before tide change, got 3 bites almost immediately, including a double header - from 50 (hoochie) and 70 feet (bait). Landed and released 1 undersized chinook (hatch) and 1 barely legal Coho. An hour later, got another small one off CRC, released again. Basically, no keepers all day.

You are not allowed to keep chinook there. West van should be good you can keep 1 chinook at the shoreline.
You can keep them if you fish the Chilliwack and Vedder rivers though, weird come September we can keep 1 in the salt, but they can keep 4 in a confined fresh water fish trap. Isn't that counter productive?

Management measures - Chinook salmon:
Effective July 1, 2020 to August 31, 2020:
- The daily limit for Chinook salmon is one (1) per day.
Effective September 1, 2020 to December 31, 2020:
- The daily limit for Chinook salmon is four (4) per day, only two over 62 cm.

Crossed the strait yesterday morning with Jason @bonchovy on his 25’ Grady. Forecast SE 5-15 was more like sustained 15 almost all day. Challenging conditions to fish with only a handful of guide boats and a few other rec guys. Got a beauty right away, only to be riggered by the neighbouring boat. Oh well, it might have had to have been released anyways with the slot!?
My Dad is over 80, and he and my bro and I were lucky to release and keep some springs. Fun stuff! An incidental catch was a 20lb Ling by the tail!! Can’t wait for fish and chips tonight :)
Highlight was my 8 year old son soloing his first chinook into the boat on a knuckle buster. Great video and pics, he was so pumped. The other boat beside us cheered as Jason netted it which really made it so cool. Memories for a lifetime!
Springs were found pretty deep and were closer to 10 than 20 pounds.

Heading out on Tuesday to all the regular spots. The key with coho is faster trolling which means I have to use my main only have a 6hp kicker. Have a chartreuse spatter hootchie, white glow hootchie, no bananas spoon and a cop car spoon. Will try running the spoon naked on one side and going to rely on the hootchies. 7km/hr minimum and will be trying everything zig zagging with the current and all that. Gower point may be too far off but well see. I unfortunately had 3 prawn traps stolen so Im a little pissed have to baby sit those there are some shady characters in our fishing area.

Heading out on Tuesday to all the regular spots. The key with coho is faster trolling which means I have to use my main only have a 6hp kicker. Have a chartreuse spatter hootchie, white glow hootchie, no bananas spoon and a cop car spoon. Will try running the spoon naked on one side and going to rely on the hootchies. 7km/hr minimum and will be trying everything zig zagging with the current and all that. Gower point may be too far off but well see. I unfortunately had 3 prawn traps stolen so Im a little pissed have to baby sit those there are some shady characters in our fishing area.
The other day I just threw one of the mains in gear and ran the kicker for steering. Worked great.

Hit Grande to Entrance today ...... got my 11 year old nephew into his first fish ..... a 7 pound spring. He also caught a 6 pound hatch coho. Needless to say he was ecstatic with the experience ... grin from ear to ear for the entire trip which makes me super happy considering I had bought him a fishing rod for his birthday a couple years back and him and his dad have had no luck fishing the No.2 road pier which had him pretty dismayed with the idea of fishing. I was impressed with his iron guts too because I thought for sure he would be puking in short order with the chop we were fishing in. On a side note ...... we had problems with the inboard heading back to Ladysmith .... had to shut it down just as we passed by SilvaBay ..... a shout out to the couple in kayaks that came over to offer assistance if we needed a distress call made on their VHF. They noticed us trying to get the kicker started and thought we were having troubles doing so. We did get it started and had a nice long ride back to Ladysmith to end the day ... thankfully it was very calm by then. In any event ... just want to recognize all others on the water that go out of their way to offer assistance to perfect strangers on the water if needed.

Hit Grande to Entrance today ...... got my 11 year old nephew into his first fish ..... a 7 pound spring. He also caught a 6 pound hatch coho. Needless to say he was ecstatic with the experience ... grin from ear to ear for the entire trip which makes me super happy considering I had bought him a fishing rod for his birthday a couple years back and him and his dad have had no luck fishing the No.2 road pier which had him pretty dismayed with the idea of fishing. I was impressed with his iron guts too because I thought for sure he would be puking in short order with the chop we were fishing in. On a side note ...... we had problems with the inboard heading back to Ladysmith .... had to shut it down just as we passed by SilvaBay ..... a shout out to the couple in kayaks that came over to offer assistance if we needed a distress call made on their VHF. They noticed us trying to get the kicker started and thought we were having troubles doing so. We did get it started and had a nice long ride back to Ladysmith to end the day ... thankfully it was very calm by then. In any event ... just want to recognize all others on the water that go out of their way to offer assistance to perfect strangers on the water if needed.
Glad you made it home safe.
What depths were you finding them at?

Rain City ....... riggers at 80 and 120 with all hits in 100 to 200 water depth. Including the two we kept ....... we had 11 fish to the boat. A mix of undersize chinooks and wild coho. Irish Cream spoons and green onion flasher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back