More than 100K sockeye should soon be back in south Okanagan lakes - InfoNews

any opportunities for local netting? wow.

Wonder why they can get this kind of return the Columbia and not the Fraser for sockeye?

apparently these sockeye track better with port Alberni and not a well with other Stocks like the Fraser.

Last edited:
"The fact there are salmon in the lakes at all is due to conservation work done by the Okanagan Nation Alliance in collaboration with the federal and provincial governments over the last few decades. In the 1990s as few as 2,500 Okanagan sockeye would make it back to the southern Interior."

Actually, despite reservations about First Nations concepts of wildlife conservation, I believe the project started as a FN initiative with both Provincial and Federal authorities reluctant even hostile to the concept of sockeye enhancement on the Canadian side. In typical Orwellian double-speak, now the senior levels of gov't have "collaborated"?

If left purely to DFO and provincial authorities, Skaha and Osoyoos Lakes would be bass fishing paradises.

They likely migrate straight up to Alaska and avoid contact with Fish Farms unlike most Fraser River Sockeye.

must be lots of fish farms by the copper river this year then. The huge changes in ocean temperatures couldn't possible have anything to do with it.
Read the title of this thread I'm not talking about Copper river. Are you saying the Okanagan Sockeye are effected by the same ocean temperatures that are increasing their run size back to Okanagan Lake?

Yes

yea terrn that’s what the professionals are saying.

okanagan and port alberni don’t trend well with other stocks because they go to a different part of the ocean then other stocks. The ocean temp trends effect things differently and effecting different areas.

U should you go to meetings and take time to inform yourself better.
Would that be the same professionals (DFO) that didn't want to assist in the Okanagan Sockeye effort or the ones that do nothing about the Sea Lice explosions on the Fish Farms. I don't go be the meeting gaga to inform myself I just use common sense. Maybe the Copper River Sockeye should trend over to the cooler waters Okanagan and Port Alberni sockeye use.

Wildmanyeah, I see you posting about Baker lake and Lake Washington to the other stocks. Do you have any idea the problems that these stocks have even before they get to the ocean? Even having them in the conversation is comical.

Yes

yea terrn that’s what the professionals are saying.

okanagan and port alberni don’t trend well with other stocks because they go to a different part of the ocean then other stocks. The ocean temp trends effect things differently and effecting different areas.

U should you go to meetings and take time to inform yourself better.
I was refering to this scientific finding which implies considerable overlap of non asian stocks.---------Burgner (1991) reported that Blackbourn’s (1987) study implies, although indirectly, that sockeye salmon have stock-specific winter distributions in the Gulf of Alaska. French et al. (1976) provided separate models of migration for Asian stocks, western Alaskan stocks, and northeastern Pacific stocks of sockeye salmon, but not for finer-scale stock separation. The ocean distribution of Asian and North American sockeye salmon appears to overlap a broad area of the Bering Sea and North Pacific Ocean, although in general the center of North American fish abundance is east of 175o E, and the center of Asian fish abundance is west of this longitude (French et al. 1976, Burgner 1991). Although there is also considerable overlap in distribution among sockeye salmon originating all the way from the Alaska Peninsula to the Columbia River, scale pattern analyses indicate that sockeye salmon from central Alaska are distributed much further to the west than populations from southeast Alaska, British Columbia, and Washington (French et al. 1976, Burgner 1991). British Columbian and Washington populations of sockeye salmon utilize the area east and south of Kodiak Island in concert with Alaskan stocks, but tend to be distributed further to the south than the Alaskan stocks (down to 46o N) (French et al. 1976, Burgner 1991). We found no data that could be 53 used to distinguish between the general ocean distribution of Washington, Oregon, and British Columbia sockeye salmon or of individual stocks from these regions.

I think it would be more informative to link (where possible) growth & survival - and break survival down as to timing of of most mortality. Unfortunately, very little is known of early marine survival & growth in most places most years. The offshore Beamish-initiated 2-yrs done salmon trawl won't give that kind of fine-scale info neither. One should follow the smolts (again, where possible) all the way out there - but start from the lake out - and not start out in the Pacific Ocean. I would also be surprised if seals were not an issue @ choke-points for most species, most years.

This has been stated many times before. Keep the Fish Farm derails out of other threads and discuss in the already active FF threads. Any further discussion about FF here will be deleted immediately.

It certainly seems surprising that Okanagan sockeye have rebounded as well as they have, especially when compared to Fraser stocks. All those dams on the Columbia providing obstacles for both upstream and downstream migration. High water temps as the Okanagan and Columbia pass through seriously hot dry terrain. Relatively high population density in the Canadian part of the Okanagan watershed. The Fraser has some advantages in these respects and yet is struggling so badly. Above posts suggest ocean conditions are relatively same for most stocks in the PNW.

This population is still a fledgling, with odd-year stocks much lower than even, but there is much cause for hope. Some excellent spawning habitat in the Shingle Creek drainage had passage restored in 2014 and now there is official access to Okanagan Lake and its creeks. The province was opposed to this for many years, purportedly due to concerns over impacts on kokanee stocks. DFO and FN were agreed long before. There have been small releases of sockeye fry into Okanagan for 4 or 5 years already in anticipation of opening passage.

Last edited:
I think it would be more informative to link (where possible) growth & survival - and break survival down as to timing of of most mortality. Unfortunately, very little is known of early marine survival & growth in most places most years. The offshore Beamish-initiated 2-yrs done salmon trawl won't give that kind of fine-scale info neither. One should follow the smolts (again, where possible) all the way out there - but start from the lake out - and not start out in the Pacific Ocean. I would also be surprised if seals were not an issue @ choke-points for most species, most years.

"the Pacific Salmon Foundation will receive approximately $4,619,000 over four years to develop the monitoring and evaluation framework to determine survival bottlenecks in freshwater and marine environments for hatchery and wild Chinook, Coho, and Steelhead"

It certainly seems surprising that Okanagan sockeye have rebounded as well as they have, especially when compared to Fraser stocks. All those dams on the Columbia providing obstacles for both upstream and downstream migration. High water temps as the Okanagan and Columbia pass through seriously hot dry terrain. Relatively high population density in the Canadian part of the Okanagan watershed. The Fraser has some advantages in these respects and yet is struggling so badly. Above posts suggest ocean conditions are relatively same for most stocks in the PNW.

This population is still a fledgling, with off-year stocks much lower than even, but there is much cause for hope. Some excellent spawning habitat in the Shingle Creek drainage had passage restored in 2014 and now there is official access to Okanagan Lake and its creeks. The province was opposed to this for many years, purportedly due to concerns over impacts on kokanee stocks. DFO and FN were agreed long before. There have been small releases of sockeye fry into Okanagan for 4 or 5 years already in anticipation of opening passage.

Yeah, it's amazing what difference a few gill nets every night make!

Yeah, it's amazing what difference a few gill nets every night make!
You mean Washington/Oregon don't allow nets from one side to other of the Columbia like the Dfo on the Fraser? They are now predicting double the original forcast to over 200,000 sockeye returning to Okanagan Lake.

Back