Opinions on 18 Hourston hardtop please

Stizzla

Crew Member
I have a possible line on an unlisted 1 owner since new 1975 hourston 18. It has a 2005 Yamaha 4 stroke 150hp with 400 hours.
Apparently just checked out at a marine mechanic and good to go.
What’s she worth if in “decent” condition?

Cheers!

Stizz

Can they verify the manifolds have been replaced? Smack dab in the rot your wallet out age bracket...any pics? Hard to say without knock test on the hull, so I'm going with a range of $5 to $15,000. Is there a trailer?

Sweet rig if it checked clear. Do its...

I’m going to set up a viewing for early next week. It does have a trailer. Also a Yamaha kicker with power tilt. I have no idea about the esthetics yet but If there’s no rot and it’s not beaten I might have to go for it!

Last edited:
What top? Motor is worth 5k all day long, maybe even 7.5k once those Evenrudes are all cleared out. Pulling all this out of my .....ss Bare hull $2500 unless podded/restrung, rewired then 5-10k. Mint single axle trailer $1500. No top -$3k, full standup canvas +3k. Electronics $250-1k? Do it!
Hard top

Do it! Very nice boat 150 is the perfect power I had a 1982 18.2 for 6 years now upgraded to the 20’ model.
Can’t go wrong with hourston if it’s not rotten buy it.

Happy with my 18’ you won’t love the hardtop height its too low not as bad as the older de’s but still a head banger. I would plan to re work the hardtop to add height or remove it altogether and have a fabric top made.

I have a 150 suzuki on a pod and a 9.9. Boat handles the weight well and I would say is ideal power wise. 28knts 4300-4400rpm 31L/hr, 20-22knots 3800-4000rpm 25L/hr.

Seems like a good price for what's described. As you know condition is everything.

That engine with low hours could be great, but it's not without risk. Those engines had issues with the harmonic balancer, and Yamaha has revised the associated parts several times over. There are heaps of threads on TheHullTruth and other sites. Also, I just found this article which seems to describe what's going on:
https://www.reelfishingadventures.net/Extra Pages/will_it_blow_up.html

If the hull/stringers/transom appear solid I'd jump on it. Today would be a perfect day to go fishing in the morning and take the family to Sidney Spit for the afternoon. You can't do that without a boat!

Definitely one of my fave hulls Steve in today's market if the hull is solid and motor checks out 10 gs is a good deal

Went out with a buddy and have a look today. I think there’s some value but it’s definitely snowing it’s age. The hardtop is tough for me as I’m 6 deuce. Everything is scratched up which Isn’t my style. Trailer is quite nice. Brand new bottom paint. Guy is nice. It’s caught 7 fish over 40 and 49 is the biggest.
I think my fishing partner who came with me might get it.
My next one will be something I will be proud of and plan to own for the next 10 plus years!

Went out with a buddy and have a look today. I think there’s some value but it’s definitely snowing it’s age. The hardtop is tough for me as I’m 6 deuce. Everything is scratched up which Isn’t my style. Trailer is quite nice. Brand new bottom paint. Guy is nice. It’s caught 7 fish over 40 and 49 is the biggest.
I think my fishing partner who came with me might get it.
My next one will be something I will be proud of and plan to own for the next 10 plus years!
I was thinking you should wait.....and get what you really want once you can. Anything that’s not as nice as your Eagle will be a disappointment

Back