Matriarchs to occupy lands on Haida Gwaii as fishing lodges reopen

With comments like these, it’s no wonder there is so much division. Might be an idea to examine this issue from the other side and gain some perspective.

please explain? what is wrong about comments above? i would love to gain some of that perspective you speak of.

With comments like these, it’s no wonder there is so much division. Might be an idea to examine this issue from the other side and gain some perspective.

Please explain where anyone posted inaccurate comments here on this issue. Until people with balls start taking a stand we'll keep taking it in the rear area. Politicians are scared of only one thing, losing their job. Looks like you are on the other side of common sense.

Please explain where anyone posted inaccurate comments here on this issue. Until people with balls start taking a stand we'll keep taking it in the rear area. Politicians are scared of only one thing, losing their job. Looks like you are on the other side of common sense.
http://www.haidanation.ca/?page_id=10793
I didn’t say inaccurate, ignorant and disrespectful is more like it. It’s not the 1950’s anymore guys. The people who have been taking it in the rear collectively are the FN if you can’t accept that fact, that’s on you. If the Haida Nation has asked visitors to stay away for the time being because they have very limited resources to deal with Covid outbreaks then that should be respected.

http://www.haidanation.ca/?page_id=10793
I didn’t say inaccurate, ignorant and disrespectful is more like it. It’s not the 1950’s anymore guys. The people who have been taking it in the rear collectively are the FN if you can’t accept that fact, that’s on you. If the Haida Nation has asked visitors to stay away for the time being because they have very limited resources to deal with Covid outbreaks then that should be respected.

"The people who have been taking it in the rear collectively are the FN if you can’t accept that fact, that’s on you." Wow! Just wow!

Again - some unfortunately unsupported assertions & accusations expressed on this thread around Title and Rights, and Hereditary Governance systems. It is even more unfortunate when today much of that information is easily found online.

Ignorance is a choice when dealing with these issues - but I would instead recommend doing some basic research into these issues before trying to instigate what I consider to be a unnecessary dramafest - especially those falsely claiming that the Haida did not control access to their own land before colonization. Exclusion is one of the key legal requirements in any Rights & Title cases brought before the courts and can be referenced at: https://www.canlii.org/en/#search/text=aboriginal title exclusion Haida

The fiduciary duty owed to First Nations from the feds is a charter right - generated thru s.35 of the Constitution Act (1982) and is not predicated on "Politicians being scared of losing their job" - another unfortunate unsupported accusation.

The history of the Haida can be found from this link and others: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haida_people

"The people who have been taking it in the rear collectively are the FN if you can’t accept that fact, that’s on you." Wow! Just wow!
Give it a rest. My original post was to address the comments relating to the Haida Gwaii travel restrictions and the fishing lodge. You can’t equate all the crap FN have and are being subjected to with the recent fishing closures. I was just encouraging people to maybe have some respect and look at things from the other side rather than post the same old us against them. It’s going no where and the times are changing.

As expected it didn't take long for this thread to start going sideways. Just remind everyone now to keep it respectful and avoid the usual personal comments and fights that often accompany this topic.

No surprise here, will keep my opinion to myself. Just seen a post on fb that the Ahousat nation on the west coast have declared all the land and water over there closed to anyone but residents. This should be interesting.

Was just having a "discussion" with a member of HG...she said they are leaving the island/their territory for her words here...
"Medical appointment"
"Surgical appointments "
"Buying specialty things"
"Getting cars fixed"
"Things we cant get on the island"
Soo... its ok for them to leave and risk getting the covid and bringing it back or hey maybe spreading it to the people they meet while on their errands on mainland
What hippocrates!!
I guess they want their cake and eat it to...
Hmmmmm

Pour little Indians can’t protect themselves because the rest of the world says so. Funny how many don’t want Americans or people from other provinces here because they want to protect their health...God forbid, an Indian demand the same respect and be able to protect the health of their community members.

Whats good for goose is good for gander..
If this was about protecting themselves from the covid, why would they dare leave there " safe place"?

Its not..has nothing to do with covid

Last edited:
Care to enlighten us all and answer this 1 thing ?

Why would they leave their safe place to go to where the covid runs rampid and buy, in her words, "sipecialty things"
One more question more directed to the apparent Clayoquot closure .If the FN are so concerned with Covid, why are they all selling sockeye on the side of the road to tourists heading to Clayoquot sound . There are like 5 spots on the way where they are encouraging random people to stop and buy fish. If they are so concerned with this virus why in the hell would you set up signage and encourage tourists to stop on reserve . I realize that the FN in Alberni is different from the Ahousat band, but members of the ahousat band are also selling crab on reserve here in Alberni to the same tourist they are saying shouldn’t be here. So what is it?

Back