Barracuda in Alberni Inlet

The seine boat kid has huge fingers. The water off Ucluelet t South Bank was about 55/56*, but the mouth of the harbour was about 62*F. So fairly normal. Have the mackerel in Barkley become permanent residents? Maybe the same for that fish?

Years ago someone posted here about catching a Barracuda in Barkley Sound while trolling for Salmon he said it was beat up pretty bad.

Those things are creepy. I've done a bit of scuba in the Caribbean and they kinda stalk you down there.

Crazy - they are spooky as hell, seen many while snorkelling in Hawaii.

some nice socks on the deck of the boat there too, beauty day in the inlet by the looks of it!

Pretty sure that it was the test fishery boat. They do not want to do anything to jeopardize that contract.
Maybe bonk it before releasing?

According the article, barracuda have been showing up in the records since 1904. It isn't much of a stretch to say they've possibly have been showing up for hundreds of years but just not documented (BFT and other pelagics have been documented back further). So, naturally occurring up here to some degree and no details on what they'd feed on up here. Nice to hear they let it go and maybe I'll have a chance of encountering it. Maybe barracuda really like hake up here. Maybe they've accumulated enough ciguatera toxin that when the seals eat them the seals die. Bonking it before releasing I think is an offense punishable under the fisheries act.

Pretty sure that it was the test fishery boat. They do not want to do anything to jeopardize that contract.
Maybe bonk it before releasing?
"Whoops, my knife slipped. Over and over" - Brutus, 44BC. :D

Good point - article was not clear in the circumstances of such catch.

"Shoot, shovel and shut up." Ralph Klein, 2003

Purple font for sarcasm. Please have a chuckle and don't quote the Fisheries Act or its regulations...

I knew Ralph back then. One of the nicest down to earth guys I ever met. I don't think they ever told him he was a politician and should act like an asshole.

Back