Almost time for repower. Best Deals?

Tips Up

My original power of 1991 Yamaha 90 2 stroke has been a very reliable motor and is still running strong. But it is time to prepare to replace with a 4 stroke Yamaha 90. Looking forward to a quiet motor without the 2 stroke smoke.

I don't need to replace today but I am prepared to purchase anytime from now till next April.
When are the best deals? Possibly some Covid sales?, End of the season in the fall? Boat show in the spring?

Thanks!

I think your best bet is to wait until boat show season (early 2021) and shop the deals then. On top of everyone competing on price (so they can fill up their order books ahead of boating season), most manufactures seem to offer some other incentives around then too such as free warranty, rigging, props, etc. If you weren't looking for new you could keep an eye out for lease returns at the end of the season, but probably not much in the way of that this year with most of the lodges shut down.

There's not going to be much in the way of "COVID sales" - there was an article on the home page of the NY Times yesterday (https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/02/style/boat-sales-summer.html) about how strong boat sales are. Nothing to do with free money, but rather since people can't travel, they are spending their money on activities they can do close to home.

On a related note, the tackle shops I've been to recently have all been crazy busy. I was talking to an owner today and he was saying that he never anticipated that people would be staying close to home and looking for things to do in their own backyard. Biggest problem is getting product - hard to find inventory and shipping from the US is a nightmare when you do find something down there. As an example he said that he had to search across Canada to find some Daiwa mooching reels and Shimano is running low up here too. Good for them, glad that they are busy.

I shopped the January Vancouver boat show in 2018 and 2019 looking for a Yamaha F250. I
waited and bought last July from a dealer on the Island where I paid 20% less than my quoted ‘special’ Vancouver boat show pricing. On top of that the boat show guys fees for installation were high. I don’t understand why it’s this way, but that was my experience. Maybe he was so busy he didn’t give a ****.

Evinrude etecs are cheap right now because they stopped making them. Damn shame too as they are the best outboard imo. And they run cleaner than a 4 stroke, virtually no smell. Warranty and parts are carrying on, just no more new units being built. So if you can stomach that, there are deals to be had. Just do a google search. For example Parker Marine has a 90 on right now for $7500:

https://www.parkermarine.ca/outboard/evinrude-e90dpgl

Thanks for feedback. I’m pretty stuck on Yamaha. Have 2 year old yamHa kicker and like Yamaha. I’ve considered the 115 but don’t need the extra power and with 100ltr gas tank in the back and kicker I’d like to save a little weight and money. But I’m shopping for a deal so I’ll entertain both. Their seems to be more 115s around used and lease returns.
Really thinking new though. Had boats all my life and never new power. I can’t afford to inherit an issue so best to pay up front for piece of mind I think.
thanks.

Lease return with a print out, they are reasonable deals and a great savings over brand new. Try to see what lodge they came from. If the fishing grounds are close by, the change of WFO throttle for sustained periods would be less.

One of the guys at our boat club just bought a new Silverstreak and went with the Yamaha 90 V-max instead of a 115 Yamaha.He thought he got a better deal on it and comparable HP. Might be worth comparing at the dealerships.

My original power of 1991 Yamaha 90 2 stroke has been a very reliable motor and is still running strong. But it is time to prepare to replace with a 4 stroke Yamaha 90. Looking forward to a quiet motor without the 2 stroke smoke.

I don't need to replace today but I am prepared to purchase anytime from now till next April.
When are the best deals? Possibly some Covid sales?, End of the season in the fall? Boat show in the spring?

Thanks!
90HP mercury CT i believe Alberni power and marine as them on sale. swing a bigger prop better fuel milage.

Evinrude etecs are cheap right now because they stopped making them. Damn shame too as they are the best outboard imo. And they run cleaner than a 4 stroke, virtually no smell. Warranty and parts are carrying on, just no more new units being built. So if you can stomach that, there are deals to be had. Just do a google search. For example Parker Marine has a 90 on right now for $7500:

https://www.parkermarine.ca/outboard/evinrude-e90dpgl
If they are the best then why did they stop making them?

Lots of good info here with things to consider.
I am in Victoria and would like to purchase locally. I have had issues with SG in the past so I am leaning to Sherwood Marine. They have treated me well and made me feel comfortable with all work in the past.
I like the idea of Yamaha only because I am familiar with them and it would be a match to my kicker.
Leaning to 90 Yamaha to save a bit of weight and $. Like the idea of brand new. Need to investigate a couple of models mentioned as I thought they were all the same.

Broke news to my wife that new motor was on the table. She asked how much for a bigger boat. What?!! Wasn't expecting that!
I think I have eliminated that idea though as max budget would be 25Kish and I don't think I could get much upgrade for that.

My DE is in good shape and has proven itself over and over. 2 year old kicker and 1 year old trailer. Would be hard to get my money out of it.
So new power, new seats (swivels and a bit higher.) and a few other small mods may be my best bet. I think I can do all that I want for about 15K.

Still deciding at this point. But somethings gonna happen!

Tips

So never having repowered...
Will I get a trade in for my old motor or do I need to sell that off first?
What is a 1990 2 stroke oil injected 90 horse Yamaha worth? Runs good. Just old. Will need new trim pump. Works but real rusty. Easy to replace when motor is off.

Best guess is about $600-800 on the used market
the marine shops's will remove and replace with your new motor
but won't likely give you anything as they want to move new stuff.
I paid just under $1000 for the job which included new 703 controls and cables

Try and sell and buy the new motor at the same time so someone can see your old motor running then have Sherwood remove the old motor and put it on a pallet. Thats what they did for me and i had a buddy who wanted it come pick it up from them.. Like Scott said they won't give you much for it but maybe your not worried about the trade in value. Sounds like your old motor has some life still left and i,m sure there is someone out there that will want it.

Ruled out the new boat idea based on budget and decided to go new motor. Went this weekend with intentions to buy a brand new 90 Yamaha but found the shop had a used 115 Yamaha with only 59 hours for a couple grand less. So 115 it is.
Now waiting for shop schedule to fit me in for the swap out. But I expect to be repowered in time for August.
Next project replacing sleeper seats with high back swivels and rewiring everything with Batteries moved forward.
Thanks for input above.

Lots of good info here with things to consider.
I am in Victoria and would like to purchase locally. I have had issues with SG in the past so I am leaning to Sherwood Marine. They have treated me well and made me feel comfortable with all work in the past.
I like the idea of Yamaha only because I am familiar with them and it would be a match to my kicker.
Leaning to 90 Yamaha to save a bit of weight and $. Like the idea of brand new. Need to investigate a couple of models mentioned as I thought they were all the same.

Broke news to my wife that new motor was on the table. She asked how much for a bigger boat. What?!! Wasn't expecting that!
I think I have eliminated that idea though as max budget would be 25Kish and I don't think I could get much upgrade for that.

My DE is in good shape and has proven itself over and over. 2 year old kicker and 1 year old trailer. Would be hard to get my money out of it.
So new power, new seats (swivels and a bit higher.) and a few other small mods may be my best bet. I think I can do all that I want for about 15K.

Still deciding at this point. But somethings gonna happen!

Tips
Dont deal with SG - my boating friends and I have nothing but issues with their service and integrity. Sherwood is much more honest to deal with.

Ruled out the new boat idea based on budget and decided to go new motor. Went this weekend with intentions to buy a brand new 90 Yamaha but found the shop had a used 115 Yamaha with only 59 hours for a couple grand less. So 115 it is.
Now waiting for shop schedule to fit me in for the swap out. But I expect to be repowered in time for August.
Next project replacing sleeper seats with high back swivels and rewiring everything with Batteries moved forward.
Thanks for input above.

Glad you found one. I was going to say go see Chris at Forsch Marine...

Back