Yup I'm a racist - Weirs Beach

kaelc

I've done it, seen people heading out to crabbing and thought about lecturing them about the regs but I stopped. Who the F.... am I? to presume they don't have licenses and a tape measure and know the difference between Males and Females, so I kept my mouth shut.

On Friday at Weirs Beach my 2-year-old son and 75-year-old father-in-law, with a cane, were "fishing" without a lure at Weirs Beach. They were accosted by a guy with a shaved head and a neck tattoo, who grabbed the fishing rod out of their hands, claimed he was DFO and that they could injure and kill juvenile fish. THERE WAS NO HOOK, I had actually just grabbed a buzz bomb and was headed out to go camping after work. When my wife called me, I lost it and drove like a maniac to get there. The guy and the family he was with had left and a great bystander had intervened and retrieved my sons' rod.

My father in law is Asian and my son is 1/2 Asian. My son loves fishing and hopefully won't let the racism of what he saw go down ever affect him. It won't be the last time it happens but if I am there god help me to stay calm.

Thanks to the guy on the beach who supported my family. Wish I could reward him with the Spring my son and I caught today. Rant over, back to fishing, and we are going to limit out our licenses this year!

Straight from the regs:
Fisheries Act. (Loi)

angling means fishing with a hook and line, with or without a rod. It does not include fishing with a set line. (pêche à la ligne)

fly fishing means angling with a line to which only an artificial fly is attached. (pêche à la mouche)
No hook, no fly = NOT fishing

Sounds like a scumbag skinhead coward picking on children and old men. None of his business. Falsely identifying himself as a Fisheries Officer, potentially a rather serious offense, followed up with theft under and even a possible assault charge if he grabbed it from them. To bad no one got the plate number of the vehicle Mr. scumbag drove off in. Congrats. to the hero bystander who intervened.

Last edited:
Back