Your kicker of choice?

I have had a Honda 9.9 for around 10 years, maybe more. I got mine the last year they had the square housing. Other than change the oil in the motor and leg and I think the spark plug once, no maintenance whatsoever. ( Knock on wood) Occasionally I will have to poke around in the pisser tube after it sits for a bit to get the salt out, even after a flush but that is it. I first had it on an 18.5 and now a 27 ft.. It is awesome for trolling and pushes me along at about 7 mph in calm water when needed. My buddy has a Yamaha and he loves that too.
x2. My 2004 Honda 8 h.p. high thrust has been my main motor for the past 5 years (it put on 3 or perhaps 4 x the hours of my main). It has had oil changes and spark plug changes and that is it. I would NOT however recommend it if I had to take it to Honda for repairs. Their dealer network is an after thought through their motorcycle dealerships. Not oriented towards the marine customer at all.

off the board here, but last year when looking for a kicker, i wanted a 15hp ht, with electric start, and tilt with a pull start built in. i was going to settle on the mercury bigfoot 15ht until i found out they were made by tohatsu. spoke to the guy at sooke marine and found that the tohatsu 15 and 20s are the same unit. ended up getting the tohatsu 20 with electric start, trim with a remote console and high thrust prop for less than a yammy 9.9 or honda. tohatsu are the largest outboard manufacturer in the world and make all the small mercury and nissan engines. engine has a 12a alternator, pull start built in, lots of 4 stroke power. very quiet with a push button choke thats easy to start all year. had it for 2 seasons now with absolutely no issues.

If I wasn't such a peacock and didn't care so much about color-coordinating my main engine with my kicker (silver Honda BF150 with a silver Honda BF9.9 kicker) I would have gone for a Tohatsu kicker in a heartbeat. I've used their 2-strokes for years---they just go and go and go. Their 4-strokes have the same solid gold reputation.

Agree with Sharphooks. Love my little Merc 9.9 HT. those Tohatsu's are bullet proof. More of those around than any other world wide.... says something!

Now that I have fully jinxed myself.......

My favorite Tohatsu story (testimony to how well they're built):

--- a guy comes into a local Tohatsu dealership with his Tohatsu 2-stroke 9.9 and tells the mechanic his motor just isn't running the way it used to run 10 years ago.

After stripping it down and looking at the powerhead the mech says to the guy:

"What kind of oil have you been adding to your gas all those years"?

the guy sez:

"You mean these things need oil"?

You guys have got me looking at a Tohatsu now, I phoned Sherwood and they have a 9.8 elec start and tilt with remote and 6 amp alt for $3399. I called him back and a 15 with the same options and 15 amp alt is only another $100.

I can't say as I've ever noticed these engines out there and would like to know how popular they are around here or are they just catching on in this market? How are they for parts?

DB, give Sooke Marine a shout as well. They did a very good price for me there -- 20HP was less than the 15 and had the big alternator, trim/tilt, remote throttle and pull start. Both engines are the same weight (they are the same engine).

I have had a Honda 9.9 for around 10 years, maybe more. I got mine the last year they had the square housing. Other than change the oil in the motor and leg and I think the spark plug once, no maintenance whatsoever. ( Knock on wood) Occasionally I will have to poke around in the pisser tube after it sits for a bit to get the salt out, even after a flush but that is it. I first had it on an 18.5 and now a 27 ft.. It is awesome for trolling and pushes me along at about 7 mph in calm water when needed. My buddy has a Yamaha and he loves that too.

DO YOUR TIMING BELT!!! believe me i just lost my honda 15 which was perfectly sound lil kicker.. now it has a bent valve :{

Good advise Trophywife. I have a very reliable 1990 Honda 8hp that has never gave me a problem in years. Just do my
regular oil changes and plugs,but never thought about the timing belt. Thanks for the heads up!

Good advise Trophywife. I have a very reliable 1990 Honda 8hp that has never gave me a problem in years. Just do my
regular oil changes and plugs,but never thought about the timing belt. Thanks for the heads up!
X2, Thanks TW Much appreciated

If want to do the timing belt yourself...make sure u know 100% what your doing...if u put the new belt on and its not lined up exact(flywheel) , the second u try to start it, u will bend your valves and your kicker will be toast..Its really easy to put a new belt on, trust me i know! It not easy explaining to the wife why a $100 fix just turned into $4000 new motor fix!!! regardzz...

Well I ended up getting a used kicker because I didn't think I could have gotten a better deal, I went with a 2009 Merc 15 hp electric/pull start, power trim, remote control and low hours for $2100. Saved some $, bought more stuff for the boat and got caught up on bills, I think it was a win win.

Good advice for sure,baddogg. I just did my Honda 8hp. $55.00 with tax. You just have to be careful putting the new
one back on,making sure the marks on the flywheel and camshaft pully are allined. The old one was looking pretty worn
so I'm glad I got it done!

Back