You aint gonna believe this!

quote:

"We're going to make very good use of this money," said Centre CEO Linda Sams. "This industry can and will be an accepted part of our economy here as long as we have local and innovative approaches to good operational practices."

Duncan also announced funding of $24,000 to the BC Salmon Farmers Association to import New Zealand's expertise in cryopreservation techniques. He said it will help to reduce operating costs and enhance brood stock performance.

In my opinion a local and innovative approach to good operational practices would be closed containment.

I was in Norway 22 years ago and witnessed their efforts to cryo-preserve wild salmon milt in order to retain remnants of genetic material from certain stocks that approached extinction. No new expertise is coming here from New Zealand. Duncan and Conservatives only care about farmed salmon performance and the industry's bottom line, not wild salmon preservation. If we care about wild salmon, we better start letting these guys know now or we will soon be asking their help to cryo-preserve BC's wild salmon genes!

Give his office a call as well

Constituency Offices

576 England Ave. Unit 104 (Main Office)
Courtenay, British Columbia
V9N 2N3
Telephone: (250) 338-9381
Fax: (250) 338-9361
2-1488 Beach Drive PO Box 1207
Port Mcneill, British Columbia
V0N 2R0
Telephone: (250) 956-2424
Fax: (250) 956-2455

House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Telephone: (613) 992-2503
Fax: (613) 996-3306

Give his office a call as well

Constituency Offices

576 England Ave. Unit 104 (Main Office)
Courtenay, British Columbia
V9N 2N3
Telephone: (250) 338-9381
Fax: (250) 338-9361
2-1488 Beach Drive PO Box 1207
Port Mcneill, British Columbia
V0N 2R0
Telephone: (250) 956-2424
Fax: (250) 956-2455

House of Commons
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0A6
Telephone: (613) 992-2503
Fax: (613) 996-3306

The handouts have just begun.

The handouts have just begun.

Email sent.. I cant believe I wanted this guy to get the fisheries portfolio. We would be way better off with some housewife from P.E.I. Yeah like that would happen.[V] eman

Email sent.. I cant believe I wanted this guy to get the fisheries portfolio. We would be way better off with some housewife from P.E.I. Yeah like that would happen.[V] eman

With all the fish farms in the world this can't be new technowlogy. So we are giving these guys our money so that they can make more profits. In the states they call it "PORK".

With all the fish farms in the world this can't be new technowlogy. So we are giving these guys our money so that they can make more profits. In the states they call it "PORK".

Howdy,

Where's Barbender & Sockeye, and the rest of SFBC's resident fish-farming shill's?
Thought they'd have chimed in by now to do their usual 'damage-control' to try and mitigate any mud-slinging against the industry.

I've been a good boy lately, keeping my WSA and fish-farming posts confined to the 'Open-forum' as I have been asked to do by the Mod's here; but I'll chime-in here since I didn't start this one.

It is my guess this latest ploy to convince us all that they have a handle on the untold mountains of waste (sewage/pollution) these farms dump into our oceans (salmon habitat) is a diversionary tactic to keep the gargantuan-pollution issue out of the public eye. Since I began to research the problems with this industry back in 99' or so, I have been appalled by the amount of sh^t these people are allowed to deposit into our waterways. You and I can be fined for taking a sh*t on our boat and then flushing it out in a harbor while these foreigners have precipitated and are continuing to expand a genuine Environmental Holocaust right under our noses with the full blessing of our Govenment!

I've done some simple math to give each you an idea of just how much raw-sewage equivalent (animal feces, antibiotics, colorant, heavy metals, Slice/emmamectin benzoate/poison, anti-foulant poison for nets, etc) this industry is collectively dumping on us and our Coastal Marine ecology.

In May 2002 I had an article published in BC Outdoors Sportfishing Magazine wherein I shared some pollution data I had uncovered; if memory serves, this information was from the N.O.A.A. and it basically stated (as I reflected in the article) that: "A typical fish-farm dumps the equivalent untreated sewage into the ocean as a city of half a million people... 12 times the raw sewage as does the entire population of BC."

To date this claim has been officially disputed by no one.</u>

So, let's do some quick math to bring this into perspective.

I'll err on the cautious side (let's cut the Norwegians some slack here) and we'll not use a figure of 500,000, instead we'll use a more reasonable sized city, like Victoria: 350,000 or so.

A 1999 CRD publication (we'll go back 10-yrs to cut them some more slack) stated that collectively the McCauly Pt/Clover Pt. outfalls were discharging 120,300/cubic meters of raw-sewage (screened) into the Juan de Fuca DAILY.

There are somewhere between 125 and 150 active fish-farms on our coast. Let's use the 125 figure (again, I'm a good boy)

125 X 120,300 = 15,037,500 cubic/meters per day

= 626,562 cubic/meters per/hour

= 10,442 cubic/meters per/minute

= 174 cubic/meters per/second

If escaping fish, disease & parasite transfer, diversion of much needed habitat & enhancement funds and management attention are not enough make your hair stand on end; maybe this will.

I hope more of you who've taken issue with me and my rants against this industry on this forum will now understand better why I'm vigorously involved in working to punt these foreigners from our waterways and send all the crooked politicians who are owned by them, along with them.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Standing for Wild Salmon,

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

Howdy,

Where's Barbender & Sockeye, and the rest of SFBC's resident fish-farming shill's?
Thought they'd have chimed in by now to do their usual 'damage-control' to try and mitigate any mud-slinging against the industry.

I've been a good boy lately, keeping my WSA and fish-farming posts confined to the 'Open-forum' as I have been asked to do by the Mod's here; but I'll chime-in here since I didn't start this one.

It is my guess this latest ploy to convince us all that they have a handle on the untold mountains of waste (sewage/pollution) these farms dump into our oceans (salmon habitat) is a diversionary tactic to keep the gargantuan-pollution issue out of the public eye. Since I began to research the problems with this industry back in 99' or so, I have been appalled by the amount of sh^t these people are allowed to deposit into our waterways. You and I can be fined for taking a sh*t on our boat and then flushing it out in a harbor while these foreigners have precipitated and are continuing to expand a genuine Environmental Holocaust right under our noses with the full blessing of our Govenment!

I've done some simple math to give each you an idea of just how much raw-sewage equivalent (animal feces, antibiotics, colorant, heavy metals, Slice/emmamectin benzoate/poison, anti-foulant poison for nets, etc) this industry is collectively dumping on us and our Coastal Marine ecology.

In May 2002 I had an article published in BC Outdoors Sportfishing Magazine wherein I shared some pollution data I had uncovered; if memory serves, this information was from the N.O.A.A. and it basically stated (as I reflected in the article) that: "A typical fish-farm dumps the equivalent untreated sewage into the ocean as a city of half a million people... 12 times the raw sewage as does the entire population of BC."

To date this claim has been officially disputed by no one.</u>

So, let's do some quick math to bring this into perspective.

I'll err on the cautious side (let's cut the Norwegians some slack here) and we'll not use a figure of 500,000, instead we'll use a more reasonable sized city, like Victoria: 350,000 or so.

A 1999 CRD publication (we'll go back 10-yrs to cut them some more slack) stated that collectively the McCauly Pt/Clover Pt. outfalls were discharging 120,300/cubic meters of raw-sewage (screened) into the Juan de Fuca DAILY.

There are somewhere between 125 and 150 active fish-farms on our coast. Let's use the 125 figure (again, I'm a good boy)

125 X 120,300 = 15,037,500 cubic/meters per day

= 626,562 cubic/meters per/hour

= 10,442 cubic/meters per/minute

= 174 cubic/meters per/second

If escaping fish, disease & parasite transfer, diversion of much needed habitat & enhancement funds and management attention are not enough make your hair stand on end; maybe this will.

I hope more of you who've taken issue with me and my rants against this industry on this forum will now understand better why I'm vigorously involved in working to punt these foreigners from our waterways and send all the crooked politicians who are owned by them, along with them.

Thanks for your time and trouble.

Standing for Wild Salmon,

Terry Anderson

Wild Salmon Alliance

This is akin to the Government sponsoring a Pedophile to open up a Childcare Center in a School Zone. There are Rat's in the Hen House. I thought that things were bad here in Oregon. This is very disturbing. Organize and put a stop to this or it's over. Mike

Clinging to my Guns and Religion. www.KoneZone.com

This is akin to the Government sponsoring a Pedophile to open up a Childcare Center in a School Zone. There are Rat's in the Hen House. I thought that things were bad here in Oregon. This is very disturbing. Organize and put a stop to this or it's over. Mike

Clinging to my Guns and Religion. www.KoneZone.com

1 in 40 you are so out to lunch I am not even going to attempt to answer your post. I noticed most others ignore your posts as well so I am not alone. Do you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?
For the rest of you the 23 million is not just for salmon farming. It is to be spent on aquaculture in CANADA over the next 5 years. That means trout producers in the prairies, shellfish farmers on the east coast (etc etc). The program is designed to spend money on improving aquaculture in all sectors of the country and to improve the science behind it. Not sure how that can be a bad thing. Most if not all of you want to see things improve and that is the idea behind this program.

1 in 40 you are so out to lunch I am not even going to attempt to answer your post. I noticed most others ignore your posts as well so I am not alone. Do you ever get tired of being wrong all the time?
For the rest of you the 23 million is not just for salmon farming. It is to be spent on aquaculture in CANADA over the next 5 years. That means trout producers in the prairies, shellfish farmers on the east coast (etc etc). The program is designed to spend money on improving aquaculture in all sectors of the country and to improve the science behind it. Not sure how that can be a bad thing. Most if not all of you want to see things improve and that is the idea behind this program.

quote:Originally posted by Barbender

I'm all for reducing pollutants from these facilities. However, what about the theory that the polluter should pay to correct damage to the environment? Why is the taxpayer on the hook for this massive bussiness handout. Wouldn't this money be better spent to promote switching to closed containment systems, thereby eliminating most of the negative environmental impacts. Why aren't funds being allocated to promote raising returns to Salmon that actually swim freely in our oceans.

The federal government is morally bankrupt, when it comes to managing our fisheries. The mighty dollar calls the shots in Ottawa.
They are even now allowing mining companies to turn pristine lakes into tailing ponds for new mines. They have totally abdicated any responibility to preserving our natural fisheries. Just ask any Maritimer how well the feds protected their stocks on the east coast. Can you say, deja vu.

Wordbender,

Out to lunch?

Okay, the stage is yours... suppose you tell us exactly how much pollution/chemicals this Norwegian industry - you so fervently defend - is crapping into our waterways while growing fish to feed Americans?

Prove me wrong!

Back