Yard Works 2022

IronNoggin

Garlic is up & doing fine:

32Ch6ZO.jpg

SQhLs6e.jpg

Tumbler tomatoes planted and up already.
Upright cherry tomatoes the same.
Asparagus almost ready for first harvest.
Strawberries blooming.
Cherry & Peach Trees the same.
The Lady's hanging baskets planted and starting.
Saskatoon berry plants I drug out from Saskatchewan actually blooming in only their their second year.

Now for a little less rain, a little more sun, and and bring the heat up just a tad...

Cheers,
Nog

You growing " Gus" Nog or have a hidden patch somewhere

Hard to believe that the little Saskatoon Berry Trees I collected last year in Saskatoon:

VuZ7UkW.jpg

Then smuggled home on the plane:

xnNS0w1.jpg

Are actually flowering in their second year of life:

c4n4mxd.jpg

Guess they happen to like it here...

Cheers,
Nog
Well they feel at home. Half of Sask moved to the island in the 30‘s and 40’s lol.

Hard to believe that the little Saskatoon Berry Trees I c
Hard to believe that the little Saskatoon Berry Trees I collected last year in Saskatoon:

VuZ7UkW.jpg

Then smuggled home on the plane:

xnNS0w1.jpg

Are actually flowering in their second year of life:

c4n4mxd.jpg

Guess they happen to like it here...

Cheers,
Nog
My wife is from Saskatchewan and on the trips back to the family farm, I was introduced to wild Saskatoon berry tarts and pies. Can’t be beat. Like a beautiful mixed-race child from blueberry and blackberry parents.

Well, after a decent start, the wind, rain and downright cold temperatures have stalled it all out some.

Interesting contrast:

This picture was taken on today's date last year:

6zdEJpA.jpg

Note the Pink Snow from the neighbor's massive fruit tree on the ground, our cherry tree (left) already done flowering and leafed out, and the red maple well leafed out back then.

Contrast to today:

Ngpfwni.jpg

The neighbor's big tree has yet to even flower, our cherry tree just now starting, and the maple waaay behind last season. :(

Hope the weather turns around soon!!

Cheers,
Nog

Last couple weeks have been very rainy, windy & cold.
Put a damper on most of the plants, and now worried about peach & cherry productivity.

Of course the Lady's flowers simply shrug & Give 'Er:

dC1H0wH.jpg

VX6lGJV.jpg

Hope this weather turns around SOON!

Nog

We took possession of our new to us house this week. The grass doesn’t look like it was cut for a year. Blackberry bushes are overgrown into the yard. Gonna get started on that this week. The previous owner had a John Deere riding lawn mower so obviously we wrote that into the offer. Gonna make short work of mowing a 1/4 acre lot haha. It even came with a snow plow. Time to get super lazy!

paid a lawn guy 75 bucks cash to spray something that's banned in my city, recognized the smell of it from when I used to play soccer as a kid. killed all the clover, dandy lions ect...well worth it.

Thatched it 3 times, seeded it after every time, aerated it twice, seeded after that as well. limed twice, fertilized it 4 times.

Does anyone have the electric dethatcher from Canadian tire? It’s always on sale for around $150. We just bought a neglected house that needs work and wondering if getting on of those things is worth it or if we should just keep cutting and racking for a couple years

Despite the wet, windy and cold conditions over the past month and change, some of the greenery is showing signs of life:

Two grape vines, 2 Saskatoon Berry Bushes & 2 Cherry Tomato Plants:

j0M4bNm.jpg

The Garlic doesn't seem to mind the weather much:

IJ5uzbW.jpg

Nor do The Lady's Flowers & the Crooked Man Walking Stick Trees:

055To9o.jpg

Bizarre Purple Fringe Tulips:

3dm77vC.jpg

MdB096A.jpg

Another interesting Tulip:

pV80bjy.jpg

Got some beds worked up & planted over the weekend:

oaZZG7z.jpg

The Peach Tree is really suffering though. Dropped all it's fruit and many leaves. Just now showing some signs it may recover:

bVu0vms.jpg

At least the Strawberries under it appear to be doing OK:

pXHG8tO.jpg

Stuck a few volunteer Garlics in with the Bulbil trays (the latter are starting to show well now):

abMhymh.jpg
\

Sure would be nice if we could get a shot of summer sometime soon...

Cheers,
Nog

Edit/Delete Message

Back