WTF is going on at Beecher Bay Marina?

Extreamely sad!! I have a couple of friends that live there and several others that frequent the area in the summer
months.It's a huge part of their lives and I feel so bad for them.As for the 30 days notice,common man,give me a break!!
I won't be launching there again after this B@@#hit.

If they had permits in place and the ground was going to be developed right away then I guess you would have to accept 30 days notice. However this is not the case and more time could be easily given to those who need it. Let them enjoy their last summer at the campground then have them leave as friendly ex customers.

What are the other options for a boat launch, I have been using this boat launch for years, to fish the trap shack, Beechey head, secretary island etc...I commute from victoria.

Esquimalt anglers (45 min boat ride)
Pedder bay (20 min boat ride)
1 of 3 launches in Sooke (15-30 min boat ride)

If the ramp closes a lot less people will be fishing east Sooke - good for guys with moorage (not me).

Feel bad for those with investments but not too surprised either.

Hey guys, I had a drink with some friends of my wife today. Someone made a comment about Beecher, so I said how brutal it was with what is happening to the residents. Well....one of them works for the developer so I got the scoop. The ramp is certainly not going anywhere. They plan to expand the marina and even talk of floating fish shacks. Apparently the band has hired some pricy placement firm that is finding places for the people, but that was obviously the spin she was putting on it.

That's all I got. But, rest assured the launch will stay and be expanded. Can't comment on if that is good or bad as that's not a regular launch of mine. Change non the less.

Ap

Esquimalt not really an option for me, I'm in a 14' DE with a 60hp, if weather turns I'd be screwed trying to get back there. I've been out in some pretty nasty stuff by trap shack/Beechey head and heading back to Beecher has never been an issue and it gradually gets nicer as you get closer to the bay. Pedder obviously an option I drive by it all the time I wonder why I have never even thought about it LOL, does it have a big parking lot? Could it handle the increased traffic if something were to happen to Beecher?
Sooke seems like such a farther drive then east sooke? I've never calculated the distance just seems so far to do a half day fishing trip, however I rarely venture out to that part of sooke so maybe its not as bad as i think. I guess I might have to open my options a bit if something happens.

Esquimalt anglers (45 min boat ride)
Pedder bay (20 min boat ride)
1 of 3 launches in Sooke (15-30 min boat ride)

If the ramp closes a lot less people will be fishing east Sooke - good for guys with moorage (not me).

Feel bad for those with investments but not too surprised either.

Hey guys, I had a drink with some friends of my wife today. Someone made a comment about Beecher, so I said how brutal it was with what is happening to the residents. Well....one of them works for the developer so I got the scoop. The ramp is certainly not going anywhere. They plan to expand the marina and even talk of floating fish shacks. Apparently the band has hired some pricy placement firm that is finding places for the people, but that was obviously the spin she was putting on it.

That's all I got. But, rest assured the launch will stay and be expanded. Can't comment on if that is good or bad as that's not a regular launch of mine. Change non the less.

Ap

Not sure if you saw that^. Sounds like you should be fine!

Thats a hard one. Peddar 3 times the distance, not fun in a small boat. Id almost do the drive and go out of Sooke Basin.

Sooke is shorter than east sooke ive timed it and all highway launch at prestige ad 5 mins your to possesion 10 to trap not really a big deal try it you might like it.....

I actually prefer Pedder and Prestige to Chiena (sp?). The ramps, docks, and cleanings station at pedder is much nicer. The only problem with Prestige is limited parking and no cleaning station. Many guys have told me that Chiena is MUCH cheaper than pedder. But I'd you buy a punch card it only works out to be 50 cents cheaper. And there is lots of parking there.

As far as I know pacific lions does not have a public ramp.

Wolf the difference between east Sooke and Sooke coming from victoria is a lot more then 5-10 minutes. You have to factor in drive time too its probably at lesst an extra 20 minutes in the truck *2 for a round trip.

I launch from Sooke if fishing possession and west but cheanuh is great if your fishing trap or east. Sounds like its a non issue though the facility actually might get some needed upgrades.

To play devil's advocate here, those folks got a cheap place to live for years because they didn't own the land. Your home is always vulnerable if you don't own your land, as are your personal finances if you sink capital into a residence you don't own. Seems heartless to give so little notice though, 6-12 months would be more like it.

My morning drive from Rockheights in Esquimalt to Sooke is 40 minutes. I prefer to fish up west to get away from the boats...haven't been to the Trap once this year. Haven't even fished Otter more than a handfull of times either. The light and Muir have been my spots of choice this summer. I burn more fuel but enjoy the days more being able to get more productive passes in and not worrying about having fish chopped off. Even the seals are fishermen friendly at the light!

Heard anything on the launch there? (Has anyone for that matter?) The Spirit Bay rep has no clue and was going to ask the band, but I have a bad feeling another Pacific Lions could be on its way. That would be crippling to an already pathetic public access to the ocean!
Yes they're idle no more!
Salvaging the leftovers; clear-cutting the first phase and putting in a new road, rumours have the old docks being ripped out by seasons end making way for a new era…

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a lot of debates and disagreements happening on this facebook page for the new development, "Spirit Bay". Also a lot of censorship by the developers running the page. Not surprised. They haven't done a very good job answering peoples questions or responding to critisim about the way things were handled. Can't say I wish them any luck with this development.
https://www.facebook.com/spiritbaycommunity

And no surprises that they are targeting Edmonton, Calgary and Fort Mac for sales.

Yes they're idle no more!
Salvaging the leftovers; clear-cutting the first phase and putting in a new road, rumours have the old docks being ripped out by seasons end making way for a new era…

:(
thx for linking this - I followed this thread early, but never saw the confirmation about the ramps...hopefully stays that way. Still a little skeptical though.

I just asked about the ramp it took less then two minutes for a reply.
They are saying the marina will remain as it is with an improved road.

Back