WTB fish cleaning table/station suitable for salmon!!

I've had both tables and trough's on my boats. I like the trough much better. Fish doesn't slide around like they do on tables. Turn it upside down for easy gutting, cleaning, gilling, pressure bleeding etc. I made mine big enough to fit very large salmon, Ling Cod, or even chicken Hali's in. If you can, buy or make a trough with a deeper narrow V in it. Keeps the fish much tighter in the trough that a wider angled V and doesn't allow it to slide around. If the V angle is too wide the fish slide around a lot. It's also great to have two drain holes, one at each end so that no matter what side the boat is listing on when you are cleaning the fish the water/blood/guts will shoot right out of the trough quickly ensuring your fish isn't sitting in blood and guts. Make sure the drain holes are large enough for all the guts to go out or else you'll be picking up the guts with your hands and throwing them out the boat which just gets blood/guts outside of the trough and onto your boat.

I also have a two fresh water lines that I quick connect to my fresh water tank that I use for both pressure bleeding and cleaning out the fish cavity after gutting bleeding so that no sea water is used to touch the open meat of the fish with. One is a flexible small diameter line for pressure bleeding and the other is bigger diameter line with a spray nozzle on it.

What about a hole down low in one of the ends so you can put the pressure bleed hose through it with the fish on its back in the trough?

What about a hole down low in one of the ends so you can put the pressure bleed hose through it with the fish on its back in the trough?

You could drill a small hole to put the pressure bleeding tube through but I have never found that necessary. You have to hold the tube firmly into the fish to pressure bleed it anyways so I haven't found any troubles just holding the tube there. The tube I use is the kind used for tapping maple trees for sap (we do that on our property here so I have a lot of the tube lying around) It is food safe, and doesn't kink so it works very well for this purpose. If you use larger diameter tube for bleeding you can put a smaller tapered fitting on the end of it that can serve two purposes; creates more pressure by reducing flow diameter and it's easier to put a small diameter tube/fitting into the pressure bleeding spot near the spine etc.

Back