Winter Springs - To Keep or to Release?

quote:Originally posted by Poppa Swiss

well mortality on those small chinooks is anywhere from 12-35% depending on which study you read.

That's 3-10 dead fish on a 30 fish day, not including the actual keepers. Its not for me, but if your conscious is ok with it then its totally legal.

From what I would see on the commercail boat I would have to say that would be a percentage geared a little more towards coho survival rates..... those feeder springs are incredibly tough and would have to be soaking unnoticed for a while to have some harm done

quote:Lets look at the big picture and the people that are doing the most damage to the stocks

Who might that be, by the numbers are you refering to the commercials?
IMHO I think this kind of attitude that put us where we are today with the dwindleing stocks. Always trying to point the finger at someone else rather than accepting the fact they are part of the problem. Each and every one of us has to do their part. "Take only what you need" Too bad this moto has long since been forgotten. If only 2/3 of the Fish that has rotted away in deep freezers would have made it to spawn.. where would we be at now? I bet there'd be plenty of fish around still. I know that the time I spent as a guide I never once asked my guests, how much fish do you need, before we started fishing. It was always just a race to try to fill up the box and out fish the other guides. That was the bottom line. Probly not the best method of conservation.

I'm glad I spent a few yrs on the river afterwards doing conservation work. I felt I needed to put something back for what I had taken.

I think this is a really good topic and I think it may change the way I rank my best days of fishing. I think I will no longer rank it according to how many fish I caught but rather how much fun was had!

quote:Lets look at the big picture and the people that are doing the most damage to the stocks

Who might that be, by the numbers are you refering to the commercials?
IMHO I think this kind of attitude that put us where we are today with the dwindleing stocks. Always trying to point the finger at someone else rather than accepting the fact they are part of the problem. Each and every one of us has to do their part. "Take only what you need" Too bad this moto has long since been forgotten. If only 2/3 of the Fish that has rotted away in deep freezers would have made it to spawn.. where would we be at now? I bet there'd be plenty of fish around still. I know that the time I spent as a guide I never once asked my guests, how much fish do you need, before we started fishing. It was always just a race to try to fill up the box and out fish the other guides. That was the bottom line. Probly not the best method of conservation.

I'm glad I spent a few yrs on the river afterwards doing conservation work. I felt I needed to put something back for what I had taken.

I think this is a really good topic and I think it may change the way I rank my best days of fishing. I think I will no longer rank it according to how many fish I caught but rather how much fun was had!

Robert , I was guilty of having salmon at the bottom of the freezer at one time. That no longer happens. I could be wrong ,but I just don't feel a few guys fishing for feeders will make a big impact. Besides they are doing nothing wrong.

Robert , I was guilty of having salmon at the bottom of the freezer at one time. That no longer happens. I could be wrong ,but I just don't feel a few guys fishing for feeders will make a big impact. Besides they are doing nothing wrong.

Back