Wild Salmon Alliance: Published - Vancouver Sun.

Your claims are ridiculous.

Fish farms are not the size of Victoria, Have you ever been to one????

Marine Harvest alone employs 500 people, plus greig, plus mainstream!!

I feel sorry for people who are in your alliance, I can see how you need to stretch the truth to get people to follow you, But those are just huge lies, you have obviously NOT done your homework.

It just doesnt make sense to me you feel commercial fishing is a better alternative, have you ever fished after an opening?? probly not.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO alliance

quote:Originally posted by sven

Your claims are ridiculous.

Fish farms are not the size of Victoria, Have you ever been to one????

Marine Harvest alone employs 500 people, plus greig, plus mainstream!!

I feel sorry for people who are in your alliance, I can see how you need to stretch the truth to get people to follow you, But those are just huge lies, you have obviously NOT done your homework.

It just doesnt make sense to me you feel commercial fishing is a better alternative, have you ever fished after an opening?? probly not.

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO alliance

Well, I think that there is going to be a lot more coming about fish farms and the effect on Chinook stocks on the west coast.

Hate to say this but it appears that they may have had a HUGE effect on wild stocks in pristine rivers.

Sven please dont feel sorry for me. I think you are taking what was writen out of context the population of Victoria is what 78,659 in the city limits. Now if you have 750,000 Alantic Salmon in a net pen and there are 3 to 5 net pens in at a site with really no more that 3 pens in use at one time that should give you 2,250,000 fish at a farm site. We all know people weigh more than fish alot more(well at least I do). But if we took the avarage weight of a person say (180/lbs) and an avarage weight of a farmed Alantic Salmon say (15/lbs). You can see that the gross weight of fish in a salmon farm is over double the weight of the people in Victoria.

78659 X 180= 14,158,620 weight for people in victoria
2,250,000 X 15 = 33,750,000 weight for salmon at a fish farm

Now my question to you is how many fish farms are there in BC
I know there are 27 in the Broughton Archipelago alone

so whats that 2,250,000 X 15 X 27 = (911,250,000)

I think the first 3 numbers of the last figure say everything

I don't know why anyone bothers to reply to Sven (old Norwegian name, isn't it), it's obvious he's completely biased because of financial reasons, of course he's going to try to justify his industry, it pays his wages!! Isn't it strange that most supporters of fish farms are also employed in this filthy industry, funny that!!

Gimp, you have great math skills are week.. Do your homework!!!

Gooooooooooooooooo alliance

You guys should get that aqua guy to fight your fight, he knows more then terry.

My 2 cents
all fish farms become land locked
ban all fish farm in the ocean

They have not proven that fish farms dont affect the wild salmon

Howdy Sven,

Do you have Canadian blood in your veins?
Do you care about Canadian people or Wild Canadian fish?

I suspect I already know the answers to the two preceding questions but, suppose you tell me here and now, in all your wisdom, just how the net-pen business is going to contribute to the future conservation and welfare of our beloved wild salmon?</u>

I'm all ears so make it good, point by point.

Goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - Sven!

(Spotlights- center stage: here comes Sven, dragging his net-pen with him. Oh... what's that he's got with him. It's a box of fish food! The label says it weighs 5kg and it's guaranteed to grow one pound of salmon... or some facimile thereof. Jesus... will ya look at the Ingredients list on that box. Emamectin benzoate... what the hell's that for?)

You could be right on one count. Aqua Agent might know more than I do about the travesties' of this industry you stand behind, but he didn't start this particular 'War' and he's not the one who's going to finish it - I am.

i still cant believe that anyone would think that it is ok too fish farm in any way at all, how many pounds of feed for what in return, something like 1/5, the oceans are being stripped clean to feed fish, and i dont just mean in canada, land locked fish farms as well as things like prawns, shrimp etc , are all being fed with feed that is produced from lesser species, i dont get it, how long before there is nothing left to grind up and feed all these farms, in china they have come up with a system that just about sustains itself by growing plants that one type of carp feeds off of , then another type of carp feeds off there waste, i know yummmmy stuff, but they get way more output for way less input, a little off topic [:0]

between gimp and dohboy, None of your math works. Maybe gimp can show me a farm that puts 2,250,000 in it.... and dohbot can feed it, because those would be some nice fish..

And terry it takes the pressure off the wild salmon, the exact cause you are fighting for.

I dont see how you have sympathy for a commercial fishery, The downfall of salmon was when they introduced hydrolic motors and diesel power on commerical fishing fleets. The nets were bigger and the seigns were more often.
I guess fish farming is easy to attack, because nobody has a real answer.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooo alliance

quote:Originally posted by sven

Gimp, you have great math skills are week.. Do your homework!!!

WHAT
Translation I think is

Gimp, your math skills are weak?

Sven, You have great English skills are weak..
Math is easy reading your post was not. If I am off on my math please take the chalk and show me my flaw. IF there is a flaw. It would be in how many people are in the city limits of Victoria or the numbers of fish in a net pens. Please let me know.

Richard Buchanan is excited about salmon poo. Very excited.

To the untrained eye, the view surrounding the fish feces is far more compelling. A brooding sky is reflected in the dark waters of Vancouver Island's Middle Bay, framed by mountains and the green hills of British Columbia's Gulf Islands and then, in the centre of it all, the fish themselves, thrashing the water as they feed inside a black plastic pen.

But it's what those 70,000 salmon are offloading into the water that Mr. Buchanan wants to show off. With the push of a button, his salmon poo filter roars to life, screening a mixture of food pellets and offal from the water.

If this seems a little odd, consider that Mr. Buchanan, the president and chief executive of AgriMarine Industries Ltd., which is preparing for a May public offering on the TSX Venture Exchange, is a salmon farmer, and salmon farmers do not, as a rule, do this. Standard practice in the $500-million B.C. industry is to allow the feces to be carried off by ocean currents, and eventually processed by the environment. What Mr. Buchanan is doing is new, and this is just the beginning.

In May, he plans to launch what's known as a closed containment salmon farm here, a technology he is designing for export to Chinese waters, but which could radically redraw the way fish are grown in Canada.

Salmon today are raised in net-cages open to the waters around them, a system that has provoked fierce criticism from activists and fishermen, who accuse the fish farmers of spreading diseases and waste that damage the marine ecosystem and, worse, kill wild salmon.

The farmers have adamantly denied those charges, but public opinion has grown so overwhelmingly against salmon farming that on Thursday, the B.C. government announced a moratorium on salmon farms on its north coast, immediately cancelling three farm licence applications in that area and putting the industry on notice that farming as it is done today is in rough waters.

The province has lost the "moral authority" to expand fish farming, Mr. Buchanan said. Enter AgriMarine's closed-containment system, which solves the waste problem, makes inroads on the disease problem and could provide the only way forward for the industry in B.C., which is watching its development closely.

"Waste collection is really unique. It's never been done in the marine system to this point," said Clare Backman, director of environmental compliance for Marine Harvest, the biggest player in the B.C. industry. "If this works, it's a function I think we would be very interested in exploring further, because removing waste is a key interest of ours. But we know it's a fairly high technological challenge whether he can do it."

The environmental lobby is more effusive.

"If the technology proves itself to be financially viable, then we have the solution to this problem at hand," said Jay Ritchlin, marine conservation director for the David Suzuki Foundation.

The question, then, is will it work?

History has not been kind to those who have tried before. A 2008 Department of Fisheries and Oceans science advisory report obtained by the Financial Post came to a dismal conclusion on 40 previous such efforts.

"None was producing exclusively adult Atlantic salmon and ... many previous attempts to do so had failed," the report found. "Reasons for failure were numerous."

Mr. Buchanan, a civil engineer and long-time director of the Vancouver Aquarium, is himself no stranger to failure. He began salmon farming in the late 1980s, but fell into insolvency less than a decade later, after plankton blooms and storms wiped out more than half of his fish in three seasons.

He concluded the only way for the industry to survive those natural disasters would be to create solid pens - and, in 2000, the B.C. government handed him the chance to prove it with an experimental closed containment farm on land. The fish grew, but the money did not. The cost of pumping seawater was prohibitive, chewing up as much as $11,000 a month in power bills – fully 20% of operational costs.

To much of the industry, that experiment proved what they had already suspected: closed containment may sound good, but it doesn't work.

Still, eight years and many plans later, Mr. Buchanan is ready to try again, with floating tanks made of fiberglass and foam that will hold 100,000 salmon, similar to a standard net-cage. Construction has already begun on his first, which should be in the water by May and, by his calculation, he has slashed pumping expenses to 5% of his costs.

But even Mr. Buchanan is skeptical enough of the "bureaucratic horse****" that would precede building closed containment farms in B.C. that he's hedging his bets on the other side of the world, where he has bought himself a $1-million fish hatchery in northern China, and negotiated the rights to test his system growing trout in three hydro reservoirs. Closed containment could be a particular boon in China, both because of lower input costs and because its technology can pump up cold deep water so it can grow valuable large fish that normally would die in China's hot surface waters.

His first tank will hit the waters there in July. If it works - and if he can upgrade his hatchery to produce enough trout, and if he can raise enough money for more tanks, and if he can keep his tanks from splitting apart in winter ice, and if he can train Chinese workers to care for his facilities - he says the sky is the limit.

"If we can get our hatchery production up we can in five years be equivalent to B.C.'s industry" - producing 80,000 tonnes of fish a year - he said.

"But we'll make more money in China. Faster."

Of course, whether he can get his unproven technology to that level remains very much a valid question. And though it wishes him success, the Canadian industry remains skeptical.

"We've been down this road so many times before," said Mary Ellen Walling, executive director of the B.C. Salmon Farmers Association. "Whether it's achievable is a question."

Yes, go to China where slavery is still possible and nobody give a rats a$$ about environment. Another proof of the true character of the fish farming industry.

So wild salmon are to be protected by those who kill them for profit and fun?

that is a terrible summary of what is going on here. plus sporties usually don't turn a profit - quite the contrary.

Back